First Wetsuit Purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrv331

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need some opinons on a wetsuit purchase. I am newly OW certified looking to purchase my own gear and not quit sure what tyle to get. I live in NE Ohio so I need at least a 5mm for my local quary. The LDS reccomended at least a 5mm if not a 7mm and suggested a 2/3mm for vacation spots as the thicker one would be to warm. They are strearing me more towards a suit with a hood on it.

Two suits is out of the question right now so I was leaning more towards a 5mm Farmer John type suit. That way I would have the thickness I need for home and could take just the shorty on vacation. While not totally against them, they are not big on Farmer John style suits and suggested against it.

Can I get some opinions from those of you who dive warm and cold water.
Thanks

Before you buy any suit, remember...location, location, location.
Buy what you would normally dive with at home, and the first time you go somewhere else (rent one), you will quickly know if you need to expand your underwater wardrobe to include a Shorty (which you may only use once every other year)
I currently have the following suits:
7mm for California winter diving
5mm for California summer diving
3mm for cooler waters
3mm Shorty or skin for Caribbean
Everyone has a different tolerance to cold, and you should consider the transporting factor (air travel).

If your planning on doing any local diving I would absolutly suggest a min. of a 7mm. During the summer the surafe temps 20 feet and above usually 70's in local quarry's which can be dove comfortably in a 3/5mm but if you planning on going belows thermocline's a 7mm would be much more appropriate. Personally I would say look online here and try and get a used drysuit that would be best. I have seen them sell for between 3-600 for a good used suit. Of course the newer ones sell for 1,000+ but a used drysuit will give you much more than a new wetsuit and you can wind up spending about the same depending on the brand. You will be much more comfortable with a drysuit and alos have the benefits of a longer diving season.

As the poster above mentioned everyone cold tolerance's are different and they're people that dive year round wet, thats definetly not me I don't like the cold and get cold easily. Also if you have a drysuit you could dive it any where cold/warm. Me personally I do dive my drysuit everywhere I don't dive wet. If in warmer waters I wear lighter under garments, colder waters thicker warmer.

If not dry, go with a 7mm full suit. Full suits have less area to allow water in and you don't have to deal with multiple pieces of a suit, which may not fit that comfortably. I dive Minnesota Lakes all summer and would rarely go without a 7mm suit below 20 feet.

Here in Wisconsin, I know about diving in some cold quarries. Until I upgrade, I dive a 3mm shortie even below 20ft......but it gets COLD. I recently got a 7mm hood, and 5mm boots and gloves....that helped a TON. But come next year I'm also getting a 7mm Full body suit thats a semi dry and cant wait to get it. I'll finally be able to go from freezing, to pretty cold, to COMFORTABLE!!! Definitely go 7mm full, and if possible

I have about the largest wardrobe of rubber than one can have without being considered a pervert, a different thickness for all occasions and locations. Back in the day when I was a poor student and bought my own gear, I managed with just one suit ... and it worked out pretty well. That was a 7mm, hood attached, farmer john, no zipper suit. Not unlike what are called "free diving" suits now. It's real easy to pump some water through and cool off, its real hard to add heat when you get cold.

i would tend to suggest that if only 1 suit is the option, go for you cold water suit first. if you're in the carribean, you can easily rent one for cheap from the dive op and often times, they are included. are they smelly? and most likely worn out (ie peed in)? yup. but that's only 1-2 times per year (probably).

if you have your own wetsuit for your home climate, you'll be far better off because you know your system's setup and any buoyancy issues.

FWIW, without knowing your budget, wetsuits CAN be purchased for very little money. I'm a big fan of buying via lds, but there are occasions that I just have to buy online because it's so much cheaper (after giving my lds a chance to match pricing or come somewhat close). for my wetsuits, i went with neo-sports. i have a 3/2mm for vacations, and a 7/5mm for cold-ish water. I prefer to dive dry, so that's where my money was spent. But all told, I have a 3/2, 7/5, 2 hoods, 2 sets of gloves, and 2 sets of booties for about $250.

Good luck!

so I need at least a 5mm for my local quary.

Have you seen the No No No No No cat video? Quarries and cold water lakes have thermoclines. IOW, _C_O_L_D_, you need 14mm. Rivers, due to current, will be consistent temperature, and a 3mm or 3/5mm combo will work, in slow moving rivers. (Summer-time drift dives)

What you want, is gear suited for "where" you want to dive and how deep. I live in Montreal, we get more cold than you, however, you guys get more snow than us every winter (yes, I'm jealous!).

My advice, a 2/3mm for warm water, cheap to buy. In the middle of summer, you can wear it for large rivers or shallow lakes, or canals.

"True" cold water diving then splits into 14mm wetsuits with gloves, boots, and cap. Or "dry suit" for which you get into only once you're at least Advanced Open Water and take another, dry suit, course.

Since having "good" gear is more important, stick to a 3mm full size, and invest in fins, mask, snorkel, dive computer.
- dive computer for beginners is good, as they are excellent log keepers
(often you can find a used one from someone that's upgrading)
(I have a Suunto Cobra, the Suunto combo is also nice)

- fins with boots !!! Booted fins !!!

If you get "warm water" fins, especially those that split, that you use barefoot, you won't be able to drift dive in a river, not enough propulsion.

With boots in warm water, the boots help you walk on scorching hot sand, and slippery rocks, getting into the boat from the shore walking and rocks, getting on and using the boat's ladder is easier.

So, a 3mm wetsuit, cold water fins and boots. The rest is whatever you feel comfortable with.

Many LDS's (local dive shops) charge more for a 3mm wetsuit than they should. You can often find the same BARE wetsuit in a shop that caters to surfers for cheaper than a dive shop. Shop around.
I even saw decent wetsuits in a Florida Walmart once.

"True" cold water diving then splits into 14mm wetsuits with gloves, boots, and cap. Or "dry suit" for which you get into only once you're at least Advanced Open Water and take another, dry suit, course.

14mm? Really? 7mm works just fine for me down to about 40° F. I would find it incredibly uncomfortable to dive with 14mm of neoprene.

14mm? Really? 7mm works just fine for me down to about 40° F. I would find it incredibly uncomfortable to dive with 14mm of neoprene.

Sorry, it's not a full 14mm throughout, but two 7mm layered, so that the "body" part benefits from two x 7mm. That's the standard we use here in Montreal for ice/winter diving and going into the 3rd thermocline in quarries.
With boots, gloves, and a cap of course.

Still quite difficult to move around in. I would never buy one for those *very* few times diving in the coldest of waters. However, down South, finding a 3mm wetsuit "of your size" can be a difficult rental.

A 7mm is way, WAY too warm to wear in water that's above 70f. Not counting all the extra weight you have to wear, making for difficult buoyancy for a beginner.

Quarry diving I need 30lbs at least, with a 3mm down South I only need 11 or 12lbs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom