First Visit to Outer Banks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

73diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m a Great Lakes wreck diver. I was just presented with the opportunity to stay in Kitty Hawk the first two weeks of November. This is my visit to this area. I’m seeking information about diving-perhaps the Hatteras area. I notice that the dive charters appear to end in September or October. If there is diving in November, I would be interested in hiring a local dive guide and buddy. I’m seeking a recommendation. Thanks.

Morehead City, NC August 2015 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/no...us-dive-center-aug-9-13-2015-trip-report.html

That's my old trip report including my research into other's shared content about the destination; if you scroll down to the When Boats Go Out section and expand the quote from one of Tortuga James' posts, you see "November- Cold fronts control the weather. Locals love this time of year. The water is still warm and the air can be too on a lot of days. Some of my best trips have been Thanksgiving weekend." He was with Tortuga Charters. They advertise a 6-passenger vessel; is this the sort of provider you're looking for?

Richard.

Thank you Richard. That is exactly what I’m looking for. I will check into it.

Is there still a dive operation on the Outer Banks? Morehead City has several options and is the gateway to the Graveyard of the Atlantic wrecks, but it's almost four hours from OBX.

Some of the boats will run if they have enough sign up. One of the mates on Dive Hatteras does a lot of shore dives to old wrecks close to shore but that may not interest you. The boat is lions paw. (which is actually a large scallop)

If you’re staying in Kitty Hawk your best bet is Roanoke Island Outfitters. They run charters to several good wrecks, including the U-85 which I love. They’re an awesome shop and where their boat launches out of is maybe 7-10 miles from where you’ll be staying.

I agree , Roanoke Island Outfitters . In addition to the boat charters they may be able to
give you some advice on some shore diving .
Good luck and be safe !
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom