First Unsupervised Dive Soon in Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aucilla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A week from Saturday, I am going diving in Fort Lauderdale. It will be my very first dive without my instructor, though I have 11 dives under my belt, as deep as 100' so I am AOW.

The problem is that I am going to be down there without a dive buddy, so I will be I guess what you call a walk on or something, on a dive boat.

I want to go on a dive boat that would conduct a dive that would be good for a beginner like me, one that is, like one I heard described elsewhere, "controlled" or something.

What size boat should I look for, in terms of number of divers? I will have to just meet up with another unbuddied diver on the boat, I guess (which is a little intimidating for me), so I was thinking a large group would more likely have another diver in the same situation. Of course, for a newbie like me, I would just have to hope to have a good, compentent buddy.

I just don't know what to do...

Thanks for any advice.

It shouldn't be a problem with any dive operation.
Just talk to the captain and/or divemaster when you check in and tell them you are by yourself. They will find someone to buddy you up with. That's pretty common.

Just remember that the person most concerned with your safety is YOU, so take responsibility for it. Don't let anyone put you in a bad position (i.e. a dive or buddy you're not comfortable with)

My advice: Don't be bashful!! Talk to whomever they pair you up with. Discuss your dive plan, review hand signals, talk about when you'll return to the boat and how to know where it (the boat) is. Go through that pre-dive safety check you learned, and have a blast.

Enjoy your stay down here. Also, check out postings for beach dives in Ft. Lauderdale. This group schedules a lot of them.

Jeremy

ReefTrekker:
Enjoy your stay down here. Also, check out postings for beach dives in Ft. Lauderdale. This group schedules a lot of them.
Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! I really appreciate your response. It was helpful and encouraging. As Nike used to say, I will "Just Do It!"

As for beach dives, I have noticed a lot of posts. It took me a while to figure out what LBTS dives were! It looks interesting, but I think with this being a sort of rare visit for me to Ft. Lauderdale [even though I grew up down there], I will stick with the boat plan.

I know there is gobs of info on here about the different boats and all.

Peace,
Bill

ReefTrekker:

Just remember that the person most concerned with your safety is YOU, so take responsibility for it. Don't let anyone put you in a bad position (i.e. a dive or buddy you're not comfortable with)

My advice: Don't be bashful!! Talk to whomever they pair you up with. Discuss your dive plan, review hand signals, talk about when you'll return to the boat and how to know where it (the boat) is. Go through that pre-dive safety check you learned, and have a blast.

Great advice, Jeremy. I wish I had heard it and learned it at the beginning.

Good luck and great dives, Aucilla,
Grier

I'm going to be a smartie and point to this post:

http://scubaboard.com/t56629.html

My east coast diving experience says its pretty easy diving without having a lot of weird factors thrown in.

For hand signals, your basics will always apply (low air, no air, low brains, look at, there's a moray in your BC, etc...) - I've found it helpful to refer buddies here to learn more hand signals for being able to convey what is being pointed out.

http://www.diveinstruct.org.uk/terms5.html

There are several that are exceptionally helpful for diving FL south east coast and that page covers almost every one of them. Others, such as "diver trampling coral" are a little more complex and require good bouyancy control is demonstrated by dog paddling. Also, since this is southeast FL, don't be surprised by Speedo divers.

You guys are great! And I am grateful! I'll be prepared for speedos and will practice all those handsignals, too.

The info is all I need, short of a buddy; and I have enough confidence now to go go go, either way!

One quick question: I am thinking of holding off reserving a spot on a boat until I see if I get any takers on an invite I posted in the private trips forum in conch divers. Do you think it will be a problem getting a slot in my boat of choice if I wait until say the Tuesday before the Saturday dive?

Aucilla,

I doubt it will be a problem. Worst case scenario, if one is booked up, flip to the next charter on the list. I don't reserve more than a day or two in advance, unless I'm set on seeing a particular site.
Calling on Tuesday to dive Saturday? Don't sweat it.

I can't figure out how to edit the initial post in this thread, but, after yesterday, I get to update and add that this will be my SECOND, not first, "unsupervised" dive! I am getting good experience fast, thanks to good people and friends in the Seminole Scuba Club!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom