FIRST TRY REVIEW: HalcyonSSBP / 36# Pioneer Wing / ACB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noshow

Contributor
Reaction score
I am a rookie diver here in Vancouver, BC with a grand total of 22 dives under my belt. All of these dives have been with rental regs, suits and rental jacket style BCD's. Last couple weeks I have begun to purchase my own personal gear and 2 Saturdays ago dove my Apeks ATX200 reg for the first time. This was with the shops renal Mares Jacket style BCD because I haven't made up my mind on the BC I want. I didn't like the BC at all comfort wise. (loved my new reg)

Saturday and Sunday I was given the opportunity to demo a HalcyonSSBP / 36# Pioneer Wing / ACB setup for dives numbered 23-26. Brand new. I was EXTREMELY fortunate to have 2 experienced DIR divers with me to help me configure my gear on the surface; get the straps fit, crotch strap, tank in with no STA, etc, etc. I put the weight in the ACB pockets and off we went for an 80' wall dive. Over the next two days I did three more dives with these guys including a 60' wall, 35 foot basic expolore, and 50' explore. Lots of different dives in different environments including a screaming strong current for one.

I loved it all!!! I can truely endorse this setup for a person like me with my level. I am still finding my bouancy and am still rather clumsy under water. I did find that while I was underwater I felt great. I did experience the rediced drag and cut through the water at depth. I used the air dump on the lower left of the wing for the first time. Found it very easy to maintain my horiznatal position underwater. Above water it was comfortable too. I donned and doffed the rig by myself. Put the weights in myself. I also loved the webbing as the shoulder straps and the fact that there was nothing on my chest. Loved it! I was a very sad man after our last dive yesterday as I has to hand it back to my buddy.;-0

There are a couple things that I need to add regarding my opinions high praise of this system. I have never tried BC's like Zeagle, Raider, Balance, Transpac, S-Tek, etc... just rental jacket style BC's. I was hoping to demo a ranger and balance but no dive shops let you try before you buy. I also have not tried the set up without the ACB. I would like to try this minus the ACB with a regular weight belt. As comfortable as it was and nice having the weights supported by my shoulders rathere than my hips, I did notice the buldge and the material on my hips. I feel it took away from the minimalistic proerties of the rig.

All in all I like it and will be shopping for one next week. I think I will hold off on the ACB. Although I liked it alot, I would like to give it a shot with a weight belt. If the weight belt is too uncomforatble then I will go with the ACB.

Thanks to the board for providing me with food for thought which prompted me to reseach and try this setup before I bought something else. Thumbs up for the Pioneer!

Glad you liked it! I have about the same level of experience as you and tried the Bp/wings at the sametime and found it very easy to use also.

On the weight belt issue, I had the ACBs but never tried them as they just did not seem to "fit" the rig. The weight belt has worked fine and is about as simple as you can get.

Tommy

Your reasons for not likeing the acb were the same reasons I stayed with a weight belt. There are other reasons but I just didn't like it attached to the bc.

Others like it so it just depends on you.....

Back
Top Bottom