First try on Lightroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ISO200 by itself won't necessarily be a huge help in every situation. In this situation it'd get you 1/100 Shutter speed, maybe just fast enough sometimes to freeze motion, but any ghost image will be brighter by one stop. Most of the suggestions I made are to reduce ambient contribution to the image and get closer to 100% flash lighting. Usually there is an abundance of flash lighting so no real advantage for higher ISO.

This all comes about due to lack of manual mode in the TG5, you can't just dial up the shutter speed, instead you have to kludge the camera into increasing it by itself or getting it in a situation where there is not enough light around for the ghost image to record. Unfortunately this can't help the shots you've already taken.

I think for future you could save settings for flash only macro in one of the custom modes available and set the other up for wide angle work. In flash only macro set exp comp to -2 (or as low as you can) - that's ambient light comp not flash exp comp. In the wide angle work where you want to record the water BG use less exp comp.

ISO200 by itself won't necessarily be a huge help in every situation. In this situation it'd get you 1/100 Shutter speed, maybe just fast enough sometimes to freeze motion, but any ghost image will be brighter by one stop. Most of the suggestions I made are to reduce ambient contribution to the image and get closer to 100% flash lighting. Usually there is an abundance of flash lighting so no real advantage for higher ISO.

This all comes about due to lack of manual mode in the TG5, you can't just dial up the shutter speed, instead you have to kludge the camera into increasing it by itself or getting it in a situation where there is not enough light around for the ghost image to record. Unfortunately this can't help the shots you've already taken.

I think for future you could save settings for flash only macro in one of the custom modes available and set the other up for wide angle work. In flash only macro set exp comp to -2 (or as low as you can) - that's ambient light comp not flash exp comp. In the wide angle work where you want to record the water BG use less exp comp.

Thanks for all the great advice. Just one question: what does "BG" stand for?

Back
Top Bottom