First try on Lightroom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like a reflection.Probably on whatever glass (dome / flat port ?) is in front of the lens. No idea how to correct it.
Interesting comment.
OP, are you using the TG-6 in the Olympus housing? Did you remove the front ring and replace it with the pure black one? Do you have any kind of supplemental lens on the camera?

Were you at full zoom? From a quick google it looks like a few issues have been reported with the TG-4/5 with purple fringing/blobs.
Looks like nasty purple fringing in your images

I have a TG6 in the PT059 housing. As much as possible I do not post edit photos.
I do have some I have cropped or touched up slightly but I am not one for doing too much. I use two Big Blue VL4200P video lights or sometimes natural light if near the surface on a day dive.

TG6 HERO4 SETUP.jpg

Some of my super macro and other close up shots.... some are from a few meters away using the zoom.

A SEA HORSE BEAUTY.jpg

Attachments

• OCTOPUS ON CORAL WALL.jpg
    OCTOPUS ON CORAL WALL.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 113
  • A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg
    A VERY TINY HERMIT CRAB.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 112
  • CLOWNS.jpg
    CLOWNS.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 102
  • NUDI CLIMBING.jpg
    NUDI CLIMBING.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 93
  • NUDI GREEN & ORANGE.jpg
    NUDI GREEN & ORANGE.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 102
  • PEACOCK MANTIS.jpg
    PEACOCK MANTIS.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 102
What is your settings for the anemone fish? (shutter/aperture/ISO).

For the barrier reef anemonefish (first one) the settings were:
- Shutter: 1/40
- Aperture: f/7.1
- ISO: 100

In the spinecheek anemonefish (second one) case, they were:
- Shutter: 1/40
- Aperture: f/9

Interesting comment.
OP, are you using the TG-6 in the Olympus housing? Did you remove the front ring and replace it with the pure black one? Do you have any kind of supplemental lens on the camera?

I was using the TG-5 (not 6 yet) in the Olympus housing and was not using my only wet lense (wide angle) at the time. I did replace the front ring with the one of the housing.

Were you at full zoom? From a quick google it looks like a few issues have been reported with the TG-4/5 with purple fringing/blobs.
Looks like nasty purple fringing in your images

Olympus TG-5 has a focal length between 4.5 mm - 18.0 mm. In the cases above, the focal length were 6.42 mm and 7.86 mm, respectively.

I took the photo below of the second subject, with the following settings:
- Focal length: 11.78 mm
- Shutter: 1/60
- Aperture: f/11

It does not show the same problem. Can it be the shutter speed?

_6300251-Edit.jpg

Can it be the shutter speed?
I doubt it. There's not much of a difference between 1/40 and 1/60, and it doesn't look like motion blur to me.

I believe it will be the shutter speed if it's sitting at 1/40, the TG-5 has no manual mode so it bottoms out at a shutter speed which varies with focal length if flash is used. The tell tale on the barrier reef anemone fish is the rear stripe , you can see a ghost image of the stripe sitting above the fish - the ghost image is a blurred ambient light image and the flash exposure is sharp due to its short duration. There are three possibilities at address this :

Shoot wide and at f2 and that would get you up around 1/500 and get right in close. or 1/250 and f2.8
Set exp compensation at -2 this will cause shutter speed to be two stops higher at around 1/160
Set maximum aperture this would be between f8 and f18 and dial up the flash - the shutter speed will bottom out .

All of these aim to decrease ambient exposure so are only applicable when you are shooting 100% flash on the subject - open water BG will be quite dark - not a balanced exposure.

The TG-5 has only 3 apertures - when wide open it has f2 or f2.8 and then f8 is achieved with an ND filter it reduces ambient and flash by 3 stops but because the shutter speed has a minimum it won't drop below ( I think it's 1/30 at min zoom) ambient light will be about 2.7 stops under exposed. At max zoom it's f4.9, 6.3 and f18. The table below shows how the aperture changes as you zoom.

upload_2020-11-2_0-53-39.png

When I say it's the shutter speed it is going to be due to subject motion - anemone fish are constantly on the move - it won't happen on every frame. You can see the ghost image on the first anemone fish - mainly the stripes as they are very reflective but you can also see a faint ghost of the fins above each fin.

Attachments

• upload_2020-11-2_0-53-33.png
    upload_2020-11-2_0-53-33.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 94
The tell tale on the barrier reef anemone fish is the rear stripe , you can see a ghost image of the stripe sitting above the fish - the ghost image is a blurred ambient light image and the flash exposure is sharp due to its short duration.
This is where I was going with my posts #15 and #17.

I believe it will be the shutter speed if it's sitting at 1/40, the TG-5 has no manual mode so it bottoms out at a shutter speed which varies with focal length if flash is used. The tell tale on the barrier reef anemone fish is the rear stripe , you can see a ghost image of the stripe sitting above the fish - the ghost image is a blurred ambient light image and the flash exposure is sharp due to its short duration. There are three possibilities at address this :

Shoot wide and at f2 and that would get you up around 1/500 and get right in close. or 1/250 and f2.8
Set exp compensation at -2 this will cause shutter speed to be two stops higher at around 1/160
Set maximum aperture this would be between f8 and f18 and dial up the flash - the shutter speed will bottom out .

All of these aim to decrease ambient exposure so are only applicable when you are shooting 100% flash on the subject - open water BG will be quite dark - not a balanced exposure.

The TG-5 has only 3 apertures - when wide open it has f2 or f2.8 and then f8 is achieved with an ND filter it reduces ambient and flash by 3 stops but because the shutter speed has a minimum it won't drop below ( I think it's 1/30 at min zoom) ambient light will be about 2.7 stops under exposed. At max zoom it's f4.9, 6.3 and f18. The table below shows how the aperture changes as you zoom.

View attachment 621685

When I say it's the shutter speed it is going to be due to subject motion - anemone fish are constantly on the move - it won't happen on every frame. You can see the ghost image on the first anemone fish - mainly the stripes as they are very reflective but you can also see a faint ghost of the fins above each fin.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom