First try at roll call thread for BON - February 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Complete, total blonde moment. When I replied, I posted the wrong(blank) week! We will actually be there on the 11th-18th. So excited to start my pre-packing packing. Washing and sorting my summer clothes. I can't wait to ditch the winter clunkers and put on some summer flip flops.

Excited to return to Bonaire Feb 24- Mar 4, hoping to get to some of the sites we missed the first time in Dec 2016. Looking forward to hitting the more northern sites (Tolo, Karpata, 1000 steps) and southern sites (Red Slave, white slave) that we didn't have time for in 2016. Now that I have a better understanding of the island, dive sites, and dive process, I'm certain this trip will be even better. Hope the weather holds out and the water stays warm.

Currently here in the Super Bowl crazed Twin Cities it is a balmy -5F after a really nice snow yesterday. The sun is out and the cities should be showing off their winter finery for the world. I have so far been successful at avoiding all of the Super Bowl mob and plan to continue that today while I double check my dive kit. I did a functional test yesterday of the camera and it is all good and ready to go back into the Pelican case. One week from today it will be plying the briny deep of Bonaire.

I will pass on watching the game today. Can't stand broadcast TV anymore. Besides, it's dead lift day. Priorities.

When we were on Bonaire in December, we asked the DFB staff at Sand Dollar/Den Laman about the Delphins pier. They stuck to the story that is posted on the Delfins website:
upload_2018-2-4_12-12-50.png

On the other hand, I hear that the dock at Sand Dollar/Den Laman might be repaired by now, does anyone know?

When we were on Bonaire in December, we asked the DFB staff at Sand Dollar/Den Laman about the Delphins pier. They stuck to the story that is posted on the Delfins website:
View attachment 444979

On the other hand, I hear that the dock at Sand Dollar/Den Laman might be repaired by now, does anyone know?

I don't know about the Den Laman pier, but when I was in Bonaire in December, I asked the Dive Friends staff at Delfin's about their pier and they said it would likely be a long way off, if ever. Apparently they are running into all sorts of environmental impact issues with STINAPA. The pier itself is being custom built in Amsterdam and will then be shipped to Bonaire when approved - not sure on the status of build out of the pier.

Current conditions report. Water temp according to my computer is 76-78 degrees. Coolest I’ve experienced here. Viz varies from ok to good. 100’ max-40’ worst. Above water it has been cooler than normal. There has been some rain very day and particularly rainy today. It is 75 at the moment. I’m not sure it got much below 80 in December when we were here. Sea life is very good. I haven’t seen any turtles other than while above the water but others in our group have seen them while diving. All sights are busy while Salt Pier and Something Special are very busy. You can see the bleaching resolving at most places it had occurred.

Current conditions report. Water temp according to my computer is 76-78 degrees. Coolest I’ve experienced here. Viz varies from ok to good. 100’ max-40’ worst. Above water it has been cooler than normal. There has been some rain very day and particularly rainy today. It is 75 at the moment. I’m not sure it got much below 80 in December when we were here. Sea life is very good. I haven’t seen any turtles other than while above the water but others in our group have seen them while diving. All sights are busy while Salt Pier and Something Special are very busy. You can see the bleaching resolving at most places it had occurred.
Thanks for the update, my friend. I am sure the cooler water can't do anything but help the reefs recover. I have never been to Bonaire in February, but I always figured it might be one of the colder months topside and below- seems to be that way around the Caribbean. Kind of hits a peak low before the gradual climb the other direction.

Thanks for the update. I was just about to request one from anyone who was there recently. I am headed there in about 10 days so it's good to know the water temps are cooler than I thought they'd be. I'll definitely make sure to bring my 3mm now (last time was just rash guard and swimsuit), and maybe even some additional thermals.

When you said sites are busy, but particularly Salt Pier and Something Special, were you referring to busy with divers or sea life?

Thanks for the update. I was just about to request one from anyone who was there recently. I am headed there in about 10 days so it's good to know the water temps are cooler than I thought they'd be. I'll definitely make sure to bring my 3mm now (last time was just rash guard and swimsuit), and maybe even some additional thermals.

When you said sites are busy, but particularly Salt Pier and Something Special, were you referring to busy with divers or sea life?
Busy with sea life. You will want your full 3mm. I dive a 3mm Hendersen jacket that I like for easy on and off and am getting a bit chilled. We have only been doing 3 dives a day and if we were doing more I would want a full or a 5mm jacket. Part of the problem is my 3mm jacket has 200 dives on it and is probably compressed to being a 1.5mm now.

Busy with sea life. You will want your full 3mm. I dive a 3mm Hendersen jacket that I like for easy on and off and am getting a bit chilled. We have only been doing 3 dives a day and if we were doing more I would want a full or a 5mm jacket. Part of the problem is my 3mm jacket has 200 dives on it and is probably compressed to being a 1.5mm now.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. I have some Fourth Element thermocline that I can wear under my 3mm, but I might even bring my Henderson 3mm core warmer for later in the week. I'm pretty good with the chill, but we'll see how it goes. My wife bought a tropical drysuit for Caribbean diving, and I'm sure she's going to be very happy she has it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom