First trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of dive trip with buddy to Roatan. First trip. 5-7 days. My profile:
Age 64
350 dives
AOW
Love Bonaire and shore diving ( just returned from 4th trip)
Nearly 1/2 my dives in Key Largo
Prefer shallow dives (60 ft)
Not big on all inclusive destinations
Looking for advice on accommodations, operators, and anything else a first time visitor needs to know.

I am a fan of coco view resort. If you like shore diving, its a great location. Access to a couple of purpose-sunk wrecks, a ton of coral head / mini-reefs, and two walls 24/7 if conditions allow. Plus the boat dives! Have a look at the website. And. Place is well organized. No “island time”.
The Reefhouse has a small but good dive op. Shore diving can be limited as the access is more exposed. Their boat dives mostly hit less traveled sites. Know that the reefhouse hosts parties of expats at the bar and can be noisy.
I’ve also done Roatan Aggressor. Glad I did it, but probably one and done.

I've been in Anthoney's Key Resort (AKR) and Turquois Bay (TB). If you're looking for fancier dining, AKR is top notch but costs more. TB is pretty much buffet style but it more of a budget destination. The diving at both was pretty much the same.

+1 for Cocoview. It would appear to tick all your boxes, and they make it VERY easy to get a lot of good quality dives under your belt. While it is well structured dive schedule, you can very easily dive 5-6 tanks a day, and your depth rarely strays deeper than 70' during a week of diving.

First time CCV visitor tips:
- bring 2 different bug sprays; depending on time of year and wind, the no see'ums can be non-existent or a plague.
- don't overpack; resort is exceedingly casual and well equipped.
- don't worry about the security of your gear in the dive houses; you can leave all your gear in the cubbies and no one will touch it.

Hi @Bonairejimmy - welcome to the forums! We don't live on Roatan but in Honduras on the mainland, and have visited the island many, many times over the years. I can offer some observations but please don't take them necessarily as recommendations - just advice, given freely and possibly worth exactly what you paid for it...

Accomodations
Not big on all inclusive destinations
We have never stayed at CCV (cited above) so I don't know if they are technically an "all inclusive", but I have always felt that they are what I would consider "all inclusive". However, if what you are looking for is something similar to the Bonaire shore diving experience they would likely be your best option. Due to their location they are the best (and possibly the only) operation that is set up to provide a shore diving experience that is worth experiencing - and as such have wisely capitalized on it.

Beyond that, unless you choose to stay at one of the other larger resorts (AKR and TB are mentioned above, there are some others) then you are looking at an "a-la-carte" type of stay. Given a short stay of a week or less, possibly somewhere in West End or West Bay will be a good choice, where you will be staying close to many dive operations (or in a hotel or other accomodation closely partnered with a dive operation). As has been mentioned elsewhere in this form, especially in West End there is a massive range of options in terms of budget and amenities - from relatively inexpensive places geared to those that just want to "dive, eat, sleep, repeat" to more expensive establishments aimed at those looking for more comfort in between dives. West Bay tends to be more expensive, and aimed at more "comfort". West Bay rolls up its sidewalks (well, there are no sidewalks, but you know what I mean :)) earlier than West End - that is either a good thing or a bad thing, depend on what one is looking for. What we have done in the past is careful research before booking accomodation - I'm not suggesting that travel site reviews should be the sole source of that research, but reading through them can usually give one a feel if this is the kind of place one wants to spend a week in or not.

Dive operations
It has been said that in West End you can't throw a stone without hitting a dive shop, and it's very close to the truth. There are also a number of them in West Bay, and even a few on a stretch of beach in between the two communities. I'm only personally familiar with two of them so I can't speak to all the rest in terms of quality - but many of them have been around for a very, very long time in a small market that gets more competitive with every passing year, which tells you something. It's really a "diver's market" right now, if there is such a term - shop around. Most are looking for something to set them apart from the competition - whether it's offering two-tank afternoon dives instead of the usual one, offering steel HP100 tanks instead of AL80s, "valet" or "boutique" service where they will do the bulk of the work for you, or something else. Some include the cost of rental gear in their prices, others don't. If you bring your own gear with you some "valet" shops will set it up for you (if you want), others won't since it's yours. The operations in West End/West Bay will keep their tanks under their supervision, though - shore dives on your own really isn't a thing on most of Roatan (CCV is an exception).

One thing to definitely check on with a dive operation you are thinking of using - depending on the time of year, the weather can be unpredictable. West End / West Bay are usually on the leeward side of the prevailing trade winds so that side tends to be calmer than the "South Side" (where CCV is), but the winds can change which can make the west side rougher than the south. Many dive shops have docking facilities on both sides, but if not you could possibly have a dive vacation of a few days ruined by bad weather if your shop doesn't have relatively easy access to the other side of the island.

Anything else a first time visitor needs to know
Oh boy, that's a lot :). But to keep this post to a reasonable length, a few things:

After the joy of getting through immigration (sometimes it can feel like it's taking forever), you might be surprised to see the luggage carousel turning with nothing on it. The airport staff have probably taken your luggage off the carousel and set it on the floor somewhere. Go hunting for it, you'll find it - unless the airline has actually misplaced it in transit. Keep the luggage tag the airline gave you at check-in, you may (or may not) need to display it as you leave to the airport staff to confirm you have the right bag. Mixups are common. Also, keep a hand on your carry-on at all times if you have one - not so much for the reason you might automatically think (theft) but because at entry the luggage area is usually a chaotic zoo. My dive buddy coming from out of country had her carry-on grabbed by the handler from AKR thinking it (or she) was one of theirs - it took us some wild guesses, several phone calls over a couple of days and a tip to one of the drivers that worked with our hotel to get it back into her possession.

A word about money: credit cards (Visa and MC, Amex and others not so much) are generally accepted in most places. You will be charged tax (not always the case when paying in cash), and you may also be charged the fee that the CC company charges the merchant. Not exactly legal, but not something you can do anything about. Tips to restaurant staff, drivers, hotel staff, dive crew etc pretty much have to be in cash. American dollars accepted / preferred - but prices are usually better if you pay in the local currency (the lempira). Current exchange rate is 24.6 (more or less) lempiras to the dollar - if someone offers you 20 because it's "easier", just smile and hold up your index finger (not the other one!) and wiggle it back and forth and say "No" :). Since you are in the US, bring cash with you - but small bills (nothing over a 20 - even in the local cash-based economy the highest demonination of the lempira is only worth about US$20, and you can't always even break one of those) are highly recommended, and if they are not in good shape there is a good chance they will not be accepted. There are ATMs that will dispense cash in lempiras, but they are not always in working order or have run out of cash...

Finally, always remember that despite the hype surrounding Roatan as a tourist destination, it is governed by a third world country. Infrastructure is sadly lacking. The power will go out during your stay (many, but not all, hotels etc have generators that either kick in automatically or someone runs out to start it up). If the hotel has wi-fi, expect it to at times be slow, spotty, and sometimes simply "out" for no apparent reason at all. Air conditioning will often not run while you are out of the room - partly for ecological reasons, mostly for economic reasons (the local electric company charges a small fortune for electricity...)

Final piece of advice - ENJOY your vacation. Despite all the quirks I just mentioned that can aggravate the first-time visitor, Roatan (in my opinion) is a great place to spend a diving vacation...

To me, the question I would ask my self is what do I want to do when Im not diving? If diving is the sole thing you are interested in, then I would heartily say Cocoview is your best option. If you want to enjoy topside activities, explore local food, enjoy the beach, coupled with diving, then West End is a great choice.

I dove out of West Bay with Bananarama last summer, and just got back from CocoView this Monday.

Pretty much in line with what everyone else says, if you want to dive and pretty much only dive, CCV is brilliant. The dive operation is immaculately run. 4 tanks a day on boats, plus unlimited from shore--you can dive all you want. I did 20 dives in 6 days of diving. I thought the lodging was a bit pricey for what you get (it's plenty nice, but not as nice as the price suggests), but not unreasonable. The food isn't special but I would consider it quite good. The bar is well stocked, and Willie the bartender is a gem. There isn't much else to do besides dive, but the day is scheduled such that there isn't a lot of downtime anyway unless you want to skip boat dives. I second the statement about multiple options for bug spray. My legs are still itching. We were usually in bed by 8pm and I at least was up just after dawn.

Dives can get a little repetitive in that nearly all are wall dives not far from the resort. I happen to like that, and there was enough top reef time and other variation to keep it interesting. The "house" wall dives (you get dropped on one of two walls and exit on shore) and wreck (you'll pass this on every drop dive) are interesting enough for repeated exploration, and you can't get lost even at night. We had a great time and will likely go back, but probably not until we're either older or travelling with a group that wants to go there. It's ideal if you've gotten most of your adventure out of your system but still like to dive--it's hard to imagine an easier place to do it. Most of the folks there were 55+ and it seems perfect for that crowd. We're early 40s with a teenager, and there was at least one other family in our demographic (thankfully also on our boat, and also from Texas; we'll likely dive with them again in the future).

If you like a little more variety in both dive sites/types, activities, and restaurants, I'd go with West Bay over West End. It's a bit more sedate (everything closes by 10), there are some excellent dive ops there, and the beach really is outstanding. On the far west end of the beach there's some truly wonderful snorkeling, if you want to kill some time that way. It's not as easy as the all-inclusivish CCV because you have to go and find lunch and dinner on your own, however there are a lot of restaurants and options which make that fairly simple. A water taxi to West End is currently $5USD per person per direction, and there are TONS of good places to eat there.

Overall food is much better in West End than West Bay, and it keeps rocking all night long. There are more dive ops based there, and it seems like more flexibility re: lodging and food. It also seems more geared to the young and adventurous/wilder crowd, and there isn't much of a beach if that's your thing.

Last year I used mostly lempiras and wished I had just brought dollars. This year I brought dollars and didn't have any issues. I found prices to be the same regardless, but folks always prefer dollars in the areas you'd be going. Customs and whatnot was pretty easy and not any slower than any other country I've been to.

You can't really go wrong.

Two words- Bug spray.
I will chip in again to say 100% agree, just so that the OP knows that sand fleas / sandflies / no-see-ums (various terms that all mean the same thing in this context) are definitely a thing. It should have been first on my list in "Things a first time visitor needs to know" - totally slipped my mind.

They can ruin your trip. Some people aren't affected by them at all, for others it is debilitating. Or for you it might just be a minor irritation that goes away in a day or less. You won't know which you are until after your first trip. They can also be worse at some times of year than others, and from one year to the next. They are the only ones that know their cycle...

So bring a bug spray that you know works for you - you may not be able to get it on Roatan. Anecdotally there is a locally made one (Nurse Andrea's) readily available on the island that works very well for some. Also anecdotal - some local DMs (full-time Roatan residents) say generous application of baby oil prevents the nasty critters from getting enough purchase to be able to bite. No clue on the science, but they swear by it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom