First trip to Roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTB started some new procedures for departures the beginning of August. It is absoultey WAY WAY more chaotic that CZM has ever been. Its a total cluster actually. They are taking photos and fingerprinting (all fingers) for every single person departing. This is being done in the small room that the normal security checkpoint is in. It took us almost 2 hours to get through this new security procedure.

We really enjoy Roatan, no big complaints, but won't be back until its confirmed this new departure procedure is stopped.
They have done that the last 2 trips there that we have taken. I will say that point in the departure from Roatan is the least enjoyable. Once my wife was held because they didnt like the way her passport had been stamped upon entry. Like she had anything to do with it. But at least the girls running that department were very unfriendly! Also, we usually stay on Roatan for 6 weeks or so per trip. The last trip they only allowed us 30 days and informed us that we had to go get an extension within 2 days of our 30 day permit, and that was a 2 hour ordeal. But we tend to take those things in stride. I still prefer Roatan to Cozumel or Bonaire for most trips. I did like the online QR code for the entry permit instead of the paper one.

I still prefer Roatan to Cozumel or Bonaire for most trips.

What makes you prefer Roatan over the other two and where do you usually stay on Roatan? We’ve been to all 3 and have always preferred Cozumel. We like staying downtown and eating at all our favorite restaurants nearby. We also love the beauty of the southern reefs in Coz. But we’re thinking it may be time to give up some of those rapid moving drift dives. Bonaire is definitely not our style. I’m a lazy diver and don’t want to schlep my gear all over.

We’ve done CocoView a few times but I want more than just diving. Media Luna on the south side and Turquoise Bay on the east end were more my style.

We’ve done CocoView a few times but I want more than just diving. Media Luna on the south side and Turquoise Bay on the east end were more my style.

TB has 3 boat dives/day and all you can drink poolside drinks (beach-side when there's no cruisers). It's like $40 drive from everywhere, if you want "something else to do", you're better off on the West side.

TB has 3 boat dives/day and all you can drink poolside drinks (beach-side when there's no cruisers). It's like $40 drive from everywhere, if you want "something else to do", you're better off on the West side.

Yes, we’ve done TB. I’m aware. But they have better facilities to hang out in than CCV when I’m not diving.

What makes you prefer Roatan over the other two and where do you usually stay on Roatan? We’ve been to all 3 and have always preferred Cozumel. We like staying downtown and eating at all our favorite restaurants nearby. We also love the beauty of the southern reefs in Coz. But we’re thinking it may be time to give up some of those rapid moving drift dives. Bonaire is definitely not our style. I’m a lazy diver and don’t want to schlep my gear all over.

I agree Cozumel has a lot to offer. The topside food options are one of the strengths of Cozumel. We do love Cozumel, went there for many many years. However, we have watched it become even busier, and some of the dark side issues are growing more rampant. You cannot walk down the Melgar without being asked if you want to buy drugs. I know this issue is everywhere, but it seems way more obvious in Cozumel.
For us, while we really enjoy shore diving, Bonaire doesnt have anything as close for topside. The food is meh at best. It is way less busy, which we like. The diving is good.
We still like both places, and will visit again and dive in the future.
What we like at Roatan, especially West End, is the quaint easy going style. We cant walk down the street without stopping to hug local friends. The food is quite good, with lots of variety. The diving is easy, and while the vis isnt as good as Cozumel, its no current. We pay $35 for a dive, or $70 for a 2 tank. Over 4-6 weeks, that is quite a savings for very comparable diving for the most part. There are dive ops there that offer $25 a tank for repetitive diving.
Most of all, we love all the local friends we have there, and the quaint atmosphere. I think ease of diving factors in as well.
I know, to each his own, but it checks most of our boxes.

I agree Cozumel has a lot to offer. The topside food options are one of the strengths of Cozumel. We do love Cozumel, went there for many many years. However, we have watched it become even busier, and some of the dark side issues are growing more rampant. You cannot walk down the Melgar without being asked if you want to buy drugs. I know this issue is everywhere, but it seems way more obvious in Cozumel.
For us, while we really enjoy shore diving, Bonaire doesnt have anything as close for topside. The food is meh at best. It is way less busy, which we like. The diving is good.
We still like both places, and will visit again and dive in the future.
What we like at Roatan, especially West End, is the quaint easy going style. We cant walk down the street without stopping to hug local friends. The food is quite good, with lots of variety. The diving is easy, and while the vis isnt as good as Cozumel, its no current. We pay $35 for a dive, or $70 for a 2 tank. Over 4-6 weeks, that is quite a savings for very comparable diving for the most part. There are dive ops there that offer $25 a tank for repetitive diving.
Most of all, we love all the local friends we have there, and the quaint atmosphere. I think ease of diving factors in as well.
I know, to each his own, but it checks most of our boxes.

Thanks. Maybe I’ll take a look at West End. We haven’t done that area. Would be nice to get some good food while we’re on Roatan. My favorite trips involve good food and easy diving.

Thanks. Maybe I’ll take a look at West End. We haven’t done that area. Would be nice to get some good food while we’re on Roatan. My favorite trips involve good food and easy diving.

I miss Roatan (and you) too. It's time for us to get together and visit Mirta at their new location - maybe another party on the beach??? Sounds exactly like what you're looking for!

Boutique Hotel Roatan - Luna Beach Resort.

I miss Roatan (and you) too. It's time for us to get together and visit Mirta at their new location - maybe another party on the beach??? Sounds exactly like what you're looking for!

Boutique Hotel Roatan - Luna Beach Resort.

Looks nice! But I’ve almost settled on going back to Turquoise Bay. You can go with us to visit your other friend, Darin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom