First trip to Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tafflad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of travelling long Haul and going to Mexico in April this year - probably for 10days, looking for suitable resort, which will also allow non diving wife to be kept happy while I'm off getting wet - she is happy with a good pool & some local snorkeling.

Had one bit of advice so far - avoid Cozumel and stay instead in Playa-de-carmen, told accommodation & resort is better and also avoids repeat cost & time on Ferry crossing should we want to go to Cancun or one of the jungle trips etc.

I have an open mind though .. and keen to hear from those that have been there.

Would appreciate advice on hotels & dive centres to consider.

Not interested in any Tech stuff, but want good dives, don't mind them being challenging.

Having stayed at Playa del Carmen and Cozumel, I'd have to say Cozumel is definitely better for diving. Hands down.

As for places to stay? This is a trade-off but I'd tell you the Hotel Cozumel and Resort. It's got the nicest pool on the island, all-inclusive package if you so desire, 20 minute leisurely walk from town, and the dive shop (Paradise Divers) right across the street. In other words, it would probably satisfy you both. It does not have a beach per se, but their is a sandy patch and wall next to the dive shop and lunch bar where she can join you when you come back from your morning dives.

If you stay anywhere on Coz you got to get to town for the local cousine and just plain looking things over. It safe and the people are decent.

Tafflad:
Thinking of travelling long Haul and going to Mexico in April this year - probably for 10days, looking for suitable resort, which will also allow non diving wife to be kept happy while I'm off getting wet - she is happy with a good pool & some local snorkeling.

Had one bit of advice so far - avoid Cozumel and stay instead in Playa-de-carmen, told accommodation & resort is better and also avoids repeat cost & time on Ferry crossing should we want to go to Cancun or one of the jungle trips etc.

Not interested in any Tech stuff, but want good dives, don't mind them being challenging.

Look at TravelZoo or CheapCaribbean for some deals on All-Inclusives. Got a pretty good one on Cozumel last year. Always find something in PDC. I've booked trips to PDC for $1000 USD INCLUDING air from upstate NY. This is all the food and drinks, diving is extra. This is for a week. can't beat those prices.

I would recommend Xpu Ha Beach (15 mins south of playa Del Carmen)...there are a couple of all inclusive resorts there (club maeva, copacabana) and also the beach is the best in the area with great snorkelling. We used Bahia Divers for the diving which is an independent dive shop half way down the beach but not associated with any hotel. There prices are cheaper than the hotel dive shops and the service is a thousand times better. Stefano was the best divemaster we ever had for Cozumel, ocean and cenotes which are a must!!!(email stefano spedroni@hotmail.com )

Hey,

I was in your same shoes last November. Wife does not dive and I'm not going to Mexico and not dive. She booked us in a resort about an hour south of Cancun called the Grand Sierenis (not sure of the spelling). Absolutely great. There was a dive shop on the beach called Aqua-Inn and the resort was absolutely fabulous. Every morning I would go to the dive shop and dive and the wife would stay on the beach or pool relaxing.

I would definately look into this and if you do happen to go tell Roberto (dive master) hi for me. Tell him Stevie from Missouri says hi.

S. Nagel

tafflad,i too will be there april 20th-27. when are tou going? i am going to use scuba cancun so my wife can watch me and everyone else dive as she snorkles hopefully she will want to get certified. this will be our 3rd trip to cancun. there is a site kinda like this one called (tripadviser) where people post about there the hotels, tours,dives, ect. you can even take virtual tours of hotels you are intrested in. jerry.

I went to the Iberostar Cozumel Nov 5-14 last year, was the only diver of the group.
Bought a package of 2 tank dives from Dive with Martin, and had a great time. Water
is wonderful, wore my suit and a t shirt. Visibility about 120 ' and went as deep as
120 feet. Did the palancar reef, incl bricks and caves, never seen anything to compare,although I am a fairly new diver. Anyway it was great, can't wait to go back. The resort was nice for non divers, although the gals thought Jamaica and
Couples resorts were better. I thought the food was great, and it is a beautiful
resort. When I go back would prefer something closer to town so I could get a
3 tank package per day.Iberostar was the resort farthest south on the island. We
enjoyed the AI package, and restaurants are great there. Jim

Tafflad:

Hi,

Most divers prefer Cozumel, but....

If you choose Cozumel, consider the Fiesta Americana. It has two great pools, good on-site restaurants, and a dive shop on-site conveniently called, The Dive Shop. Here is their website...be sure to take the virtual tour:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...el_Dive_Resort-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

It is out of town and a taxi into town will probably cost about $15 for the round trip.

Sometimes you can get good packages from:

http://www.divetrip.com/

joewr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom