First Time using the DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clownfish60

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Just got back from Isla Mujeres, Mexico. First time I have used my new DC1400 Pro setup... and it did ok. I wasn't really too happy with the focusing speed in some situations... but overall am impressed with the system, considering the cost.

Some shots (comments welcome) :

!-PICT0210.jpg
Puffer0026.jpg
Turtle0263xxx.jpg
FrenchT0019.jpg

More on my Flickr page if anyone is interested: http://www.flickr.com/photos/67377820@N08/

Last edited:
Wow... I have the Sealife DC1400, too (without external flash) but I think my photos will never look like yours. However, photographing in lakes with a visibillity of a few meters (or centimeters) is not easy :D
But you're right, the focusing speed is not really good.
This is taken on tenerife:
PICT0337.jpg

Wow... I have the Sealife DC1400, too (without external flash) but I think my photos will never look like yours. However, photographing in lakes with a visibillity of a few meters (or centimeters) is not easy :D
But you're right, the focusing speed is not really good.
This is taken on tenerife:
View attachment 155314

Nice Sea Goddess! Didn't see any Nudi's on this trip unfortunately! I have dove a lot of lakes too (mostly in Texas), and viz is not always good, lol! I also have some previous experience back in the 80's with a Nikonos V. Just shoot a lot, and remember that an external strobe is really helpful!

very nice

look pretty good to me. nice job. where did you stay and who did you dive with?

look pretty good to me. nice job. where did you stay and who did you dive with?

Thanks! We stayed at Na Balam hotel (Very quiet and laid back) on Isla Mujeres, and dove with Carey Dive Center. Very good people, and willing to work with you. My girlfriend was doing her open water referral, and Gilberto at Carey made her feel very comfortable with him as her instructor... he speaks really excellent english.

Well done! Also, nice job with the white balance on the turtle and puffer pics. How deep? I still haven't been able to figure out the manual white balance on this thing. I love that they added the MWB hot button to the DC1400 (it was buried deep in the menus with the DC1200), but, for some reason the results are still pretty piss poor compared to some other cameras I've tried. I usually have to try to fix it with editing software unless I'm above 30' or so. An option for a RAW capable camera would be a great addition for the DC1600 (?), and would cause a LOT of current Sealife owners to upgrade **HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE SEALIFE**.

Well done! Also, nice job with the white balance on the turtle and puffer pics. How deep? I still haven't been able to figure out the manual white balance on this thing. I love that they added the MWB hot button to the DC1400 (it was buried deep in the menus with the DC1200), but, for some reason the results are still pretty piss poor compared to some other cameras I've tried. I usually have to try to fix it with editing software unless I'm above 30' or so. An option for a RAW capable camera would be a great addition for the DC1600 (?), and would cause a LOT of current Sealife owners to upgrade **HINT HINT NUDGE NUDGE SEALIFE**.

Thanks! I was actually between 30 and 40 feet for all of my shots. I do have the external flash, and used it as fill for some shots, main light in others. I was also using the Dive mode for color correction when I wasn't using flash. When I shoot above water (D800) I almost always use a manual WB, but since this was my first trip with this camera.. I pretty much let the camera do it's thing. I do like this camera, but am used to much more control. Seriously thinking about a G15 in a Nauticam housing... we will see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom