First Time using the DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, the Sealife is likely positioned as a more "dummy proof" camera, that is capable of taking good shots while offering SOME manual controls, but the lack of them keeps it at a lower price point than that next group up. As long as you're not looking to make the cover of National Geographic, it does a great job for the price. Sealife customer service has always been good to me, so I feel pretty loyal to them, but RAW needs to be added though if the white balance isn't significantly improved. I know that would likely make the camera more expensive, but I would like them to at least make it an upgrade option or something. Judging from past history, they are due for a new camera very soon, and my next dive trip isn't until next February. So, hopefully something will come out before then. I've gotten some decent shots with my Sealife's over the years (IMHO...lol). But, if their next camera isn't up to snuff, I really like what I've seen so far from the RX-100 and I may take a closer look at that if I decide I want to take things to the next level.

Spitts, that would be nice, but don't count on it. When they launch a new setup, they want people to upgrade the whole thing. They've never sold the internal camera only.

I highly suspect they won't use the same housing, but it would be nice if they did...

I love the ease of use of the Sealife housing and I don't need a fancy camera with all the bells and whistles, but when it comes time to upgrade if I have to buy a new camera and housing I will probably go a different direction. I am sure Sealife has done their research and will develop a camera to compete in the market they feel they can do best in, but I would like RAW, a much improved focus speed and a little more manual control of the camera.

They may not sell the camera by itself in the stores, but you can buy it from Sealife Parts Direct: SeaLife Parts Direct

I highly suspect they won't use the same housing, but it would be nice if they did...

I love the ease of use of the Sealife housing and I don't need a fancy camera with all the bells and whistles, but when it comes time to upgrade if I have to buy a new camera and housing I will probably go a different direction. I am sure Sealife has done their research and will develop a camera to compete in the market they feel they can do best in, but I would like RAW, a much improved focus speed and a little more manual control of the camera.

They may not sell the camera by itself in the stores, but you can buy it from Sealife Parts Direct: SeaLife Parts Direct

scuba.com has it as well

anenome 1 PICT0498.jpgPICT0796.jpgPICT0174 croped and reduced.jpgPICT0194.jpg

I'm a brand new SL 1400 user. One weekend so far - Pt. Lobos, Monterey, CA (30-60 fsw with 30' viz). Faster focus would be my first request. I'm dealing with that by shooting in Burst mode. Most of my shots were with the external light mode (with my 2 x 1000 lumen DIY video lights). That worked well for close ups, but wish I had changed to dive mode for the longer shots. However it was my first use.

Overall I'm pleased.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom