First time traveling to hawaii!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jack's or Big Island Divers can both be mixed groups, larger boats always have a few newbies. But they do make an effort to separate the groups once in the water, attempting to match divers into like minded dive parties. If you are carrying a big camera, expect to go with the other photographers, etc. It usually works.

I was out with Kohala Divers today. A great day, only eight divers aboard, we went in two groups of four. The smaller ops can be more flexible in accommodating different needs, the bigger ops have to be more focused on keeping to the routine to handle the large group.

Last time out with Kohala Divers, several divers, including myself, were doing photography. We were aware that a number of nudibranches were to be found on a house sized rock under the mooring. Our addendum to the plan, if the nudis were there, we would be there to. I spotted the first gloomy before I had even leveled off and trimmed my buoyancy. We spent the entire 90min dive at 30-40 ft, within 20yds of the mooring cable.

For example, just recently a woman lied to get on a Maui charter and wound up at 173 feet on the backwall of Molokini because she couldn't control her bouyancy. She not only jeopardized her life, but also the life of the DM who had to go down and get her.

Do you have any more information on this? Molokini backwall stories interest me a little.

:zen:

Back
Top Bottom