First time to Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I liked the hogfish at Ms. Mac's II and key lime pie!!!

Mike

My wife and i are new divers having completed our naui ow course earlier this month and we are going to Key Largo later this month. Done a little research and plan to stay at the Hampton Inn Key Largo and dive with Scuba-Do dive company. Anyone have any experience with either place? Also any suggestions in general would be appreciated to help us better enjoy our first trip to the Keys!

I've stayed at the Hampton Inn, it was very nice and quiet, breakfast was pretty good. Have never went out with Scuba Doo, but the diving in Key largo is very nice. I'm not a big seafood eater, but there are a lot of different choices for food.

Get a Florida Fishing License, watch a few YOU Tube Videos on catching lobster and have at it. You should be able to get enough for dinner. Take them to Lazy Days Restaurant in Islamorada just a tick south of MM 80 on the oceanside. They will make them for you. You won't be sorry.

Marker 88 is a winner also.

Welcome to my back yard! :D

Be sure to visit the Dive Museum down near Marker 89 (or so).

However, the most important thing to remember while in Key Largo: HAVE FUN! Scuba Do is a great company and you'll have lots to write about here on ScubaBoard.

Zat bay side or ocean side? :D

My favorite restaurant, and one you should do for a spectacular sunset is Bayside Grill. MM 100: Bayside (go figure). Ask for John to be your waiter and tell him I sent you! :D

Thanks for the advise everyone! This has been a great forum. While i'm at it, i am looking at getting the gopro hero 2 camera for our trip with the dive housing & possibly the red filter lens. Anyone have any experience with the product? Will i need the filter if we are doing shallow reef diving?

While i'm at it, i am looking at getting the gopro hero 2 camera for our trip with the dive housing & possibly the red filter lens. Anyone have any experience with the product? Will i need the filter if we are doing shallow reef diving?
I just picked up this sweet little package a few months ago and I love the results.
I have the GoPro Hero 2 with Dive Housing and Backscatter flip filter.

After my first time using it in shallow water I was totally amazed at the results.

+1 for the Backscatter Magic Filter. I have this setup as well and LOVE the results I'm getting with it. Definitely worth the small (compared to other video systems) investment

My son and I just got back from the KL, and Scuba-do was one of the outfits we tried. As newly certified divers, I'd say they were our favorite, due to being a 10 max boat (the bigger boats are just hectic with so many people), calm demeanor in the crew, and the fact that they sent down TWO dive guides, one to kind of herd the front of the group, one to round up the back. Took all worries of navigation away, and for the first time in our trip, I could simply enjoy the dive.

I would be lying if I said that it didn't help their cause that the two dive guides and first mate were all attractive young females. :shocked2:

Bonus points on their website too, as you can book online, and if you are the first to book, you can pick the two dive sites right then and there.

For food, the fish taco's at Sharky's next door were AMAZING after a full day of diving.

High praise for the Hero 2, higher praise for the dive housing, and the red filter will likely be my next purchase, as it would have definitely helped (my son is Jr Openwater, so all of our dives were <40 ft

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom