First time to Hawaii.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, we have dove the Pacific we ended up in Porta Vallarta last fall after Wilma decided the airport was hers the Saturday we were to land. Nice diving once we learned where and who to go with. My original certification was with the YMCA in Panama on the Pacific side. The hardest class is what I expect.

My personal recomendation would be for the Big Isle with Maui second. Both are very nice. You might try sending out emails to the shops and get prices and explain what your looking for. It's better to have someone else doing the class at the same time but near impossable to find someone.

My guess is that to do a 7-12 day DM course you'd need to hit one of the largest shops no matter where you choose to stay. Jack's Diving Locker would be your bet bet on the Big Island as they seem to run enough classes that you'd have an opportunity to assist with training in that short of a time, but that's just a guess. I suspect Maui Dive Company probably runs lots of classes on Maui, there may be others in Maui, as they have a strong shore instruction industry, who can do it on the short term.

friscuba:
My guess is that to do a 7-12 day DM course you'd need to hit one of the largest shops no matter where you choose to stay. Jack's Diving Locker would be your bet bet on the Big Island as they seem to run enough classes that you'd have an opportunity to assist with training in that short of a time, but that's just a guess. I suspect Maui Dive Company probably runs lots of classes on Maui, there may be others in Maui, as they have a strong shore instruction industry, who can do it on the short term.
Do you mean Maui Dreams Dive Company, or Maui Dive Shop?

I know the latter does a lot of SSI (so may not give the experience on the PADI side, despite the number of certs they do), but Maui Dreams is strictly PADI, and has made 14-21 day DM courses possible in the past.

Maui Dreams also gives a nice range of instructor experiences, with the internship being with several different instructors.

KrisB:
Do you mean Maui Dreams Dive Company, or Maui Dive Shop?

I know the latter does a lot of SSI (so may not give the experience on the PADI side, despite the number of certs they do), but Maui Dreams is strictly PADI, and has made 14-21 day DM courses possible in the past.

Maui Dreams also gives a nice range of instructor experiences, with the internship being with several different instructors.

Actually, I was just taking a guess/stab at it. I figure if one wants to do a course in a short time it's best to hook up with an op who's teaching nearly every day. I figure the biggest shop on the island would be the best bet for a quick DM course. I'd forgotten Maui Dive Shop (oops, not "company") had gone SSI, not sure what SSI's Divecon course procedures are. If Maui Dreams is teaching classes regularly, they'd be a good PADI option. I'm a heckuva lot more familiar with the shops in Kona.

later,

Has anyone heard or dove with B&B SCUBA INC. in Kihei, Maui?

If Al were here he could tell you a lot about them....I've only heard good stuff about them. Best is to just email/call a few companies and see who can accommodate your wishes...that will narrow things down for you

bgillis:
Has anyone heard or dove with B&B SCUBA INC. in Kihei, Maui?
B&B has a top-notch reputation for their boat dives, and are recommended alongside Mike Severns Diving and Ed Robinson's Diving Adventures (though my recent experience has me soured towards Ed's operation).

Are you doing boat dives, shore dives or training dives?

I dove with B & B a few years ago and was very pleased. I will probably book with them on my next trip. You can find a link to B & B (as well as a few other shops) here: http://www.swimswithsharks.com/maui.htm

I would add one more to SwimsWithSharks' list -- Maui Dreams Dive Co., if you're planning on doing any shore-based diving (rentals and/or guides) or training. They're one of two IDC's on the island, and really know what they do!

Back
Top Bottom