First Time To Hawaii, Where Is The Best Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Had a great week of diving with Kona Diving Company Home
Everything from the advance planning emails, to the boat, crew and every single dive was a delight.

Kerry and her team take great care of their divers. The boats are spacious and well organized. There is plenty of personal attention if you want it and the small groups are guided expertly. I like to manage my own gear, but they will deal will all your gear and change overs for you so you can fully relax if you like. We did the 5 day package, with the addition of the manta night dives and a long range day. Couldn't have been better.

I agree. Kona Diving Company and Kerry are great!

Here are a couple of short videos I put together from my trip to Maui this summer, the first one is a little bit of everything from the island, the second is strictly from diving. I dove with B&B Scuba, they finish their 2-tank dive by 9:30 am so you still have the rest of the day to do other stuff (or dive more).

Maui is my favourite place BTW, you will enjoy it.

LOVE that first video, beautifully done. you must be a pro videographer. What kind of camera and lights are you using?

Thanks! I just do videos for fun. The scuba footage is shot on a GoPro with 2 x 800 lumen video lights. The land footage is shot on a canon 5d2.

Hawaii is awesome with a great mix of water and land based activities.

I've seen 4-5000 (DM estimate) tangs holding station off Sharkfin while 1/2 dozen reef sharks waited for dinner - the only place I've ever seen that...

We have a coral head in our lagoon (Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands) that has a similar school of tangs and sharks. I have seen as many as 45 reef sharks there before I lost count of the sharks. It is fun to take our AOW students to do their Deep Adventure dive there. :)

All operators do an 8 divers/DM ratio - it's the law.
Standard local practice perhaps? (it is our guideline as well, at least for experience certified divers). I'm pretty sure it is not a law. In CA most of the boat DMs don't even get in the water, :) That may have changed though, I hung up my drysuit a long time ago.

Yeah, law wasn't the right word.,,,:shakehead:

Last edited:
While I have taught and guided larger groups I find that four divers/students is the ideal number for me to manage...the whole herding cats thing.

When I am apart of a dive team I prefer teams of three...two dive buddies and myself.

Getting back on subject I will be diving (and training) with Island Divers next month on Oahu.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom