First time to Cozumel help needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all your help. Any opinions on Scuba Club?
The thing about Scuba Club is that some people stay nowhere else but there, so there's no point of comparison, and some people stay anywhere but there, so there's no point of comparison. The former group is a very dedicated bunch, repeat guests are treated like family, they love the dive op, the food, the big rooms, the shore diving. Those of us who haven't tried Scuba Club fear the large (i.e. "cattle") boats, being stuck eating there every night with little variety, and may have other tastes in dive ops, location, or facilities that aren't accommodated there.

May I suggest you do a search for past reviews, of which there are plenty?

Never stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel, so no real opinion, at least based on experience. My impression, from others, it that Scuba Club Cozumel is primarily for the hard-core budget divers. Rooms are big and comfortable, but no TV and no phone; rooms do have a mini-fridge, so that is a plus. Just a hunch, but Scuba Club Cozumel MIGHT be one of the few places where you are tied to the House Dive Op. It has large slow boats, so you spend a lot of time making a slow cruise down south to the reefs, and a slow cruise back after diving. Some people really like that; others prefer quicker boat rides on small 6-pack boats; your preference. It is an AI, though I understand that it has a Breakfast and Lunch option, leaving you free to go to some of the other Cozumel restaurants for dinner. I'll echo what Mossman said - Scuba Club Cozumel is one of those places where the hard-core fans won't stay anyplace else, while the rest of us usually don't really consider it as an option. It's entirely up to you - what do YOU want?

Never stayed at Scuba Club Cozumel, so no real opinion, at least based on experience. My impression, from others, it that Scuba Club Cozumel is primarily for the hard-core budget divers. Rooms are big and comfortable, but no TV and no phone; rooms do have a mini-fridge, so that is a plus. Just a hunch, but Scuba Club Cozumel MIGHT be one of the few places where you are tied to the House Dive Op. It has large slow boats, so you spend a lot of time making a slow cruise down south to the reefs, and a slow cruise back after diving.
Unless you want to walk off site, you are indeed bound to the house op when staying at SCC; they do not allow other ops to pick up there. I would class their boats as mid sized and mid speed; they are pontoon boats, not big slow wooden hulled boats like those that Dive Paradise uses. You can see them at http://scubaclubcozumel.com/index.php/webcam if you look at 8:30AM or so when they are picking up divers.

I second Aldora Divers. 120cf tanks with Nitrox gave us dives of 1 hour and 20 minutes. Plus they have fast boats with small groups.

We love staying at Casa Mexicana. Breakfast is included for about $70 a night and it is the best buffet on the island. We dive with Aldora for the 120 cf tanks, it's a little more expensive but you get almost twice the dive time. It's right at $100 a day if you pay cash. Our longest dive was around 90 minutes. The best part is the dock is about 1/2 block from the hotel and the shop is even closer.

We stay in town because of everything it has to offer. Lots of shopping and all kinds of great food at cheap prices. We will be trying Aldora Villas in late October and am looking forward to shore diving for free, but it will be hard not to see our friends at CM.

The main difference in dive operators will be:
1. Tank size, Al80s are the standard, with 100's an option for $10 more. Aldora and I think Living Underwater use steel 120's.
2. Departure point, some leave from town docks, some will pick you up at the resorts you're staying at, some leave from the Calletta Marina and will pay for the cab ride there, I assume some leave from the new Marina as well. It's right next to Calletta so ride would be the same.
3. Surface interval, some go to a beach club, some do the SI on the boat, some go to a beach with no improvements (my favorite). Some provide snacks all provide water. I'd suggest stocking up on coconut water at Mega for hydrating before and after dives. I like to take a few bananas with me as well to fight Charlie horse cramps.
4. Boat size, the vast majority will use 6 pack boats that will take no more than 6 divers. There are some "cattle boats" that will take several groups. Those boats are slow, crowded, and usually limited to predetermined dive times. Absolutely insist on small boats.

We have never had bad service from any dive operator. Blue Magic was like diving with family, awesome service on all counts, but 100cf tanks were as big as you could get. Dive With Martin may be the oldest operator on the island. Small boats, great service, convenient for cruise ship divers. We dive with Aldora now for the tanks and incredible bottom times. Jorge and Maricio are as good of DM's we have ever dove with and my only complaint would be that the boat leaves at 7:30 so you are slightly rushed for breakfast but we have never been without enough time for a good breakfast. As long as we hit the street by 7:25 were at the boat ready for 2 great dives.

Dave with Aldora and Christi with Blue XTSea are huge supporters of this site, they both deserve a look.

Above all, whoever you choose, BOOK A NIGHT DIVE!! You will thank me later!

We love Cozumel for a reason!!

Safe travels!
Jay

Last edited:
Another couple reasons to go with Adora: they will take you to the southern most sites if the weather is cooperating as long as they feel you are experienced enough. Did the 2 tank twilight / night dive. Left the downtown dock at 4 pm and returned just after 10. The DM and crew had smiles on their faces the whole time. Did not feel rushed at all.

That's OK- I like hearing from people who have been there and dived there!
What I mean is that you will get a lot of cheerleading from folks promoting their op/hotel of choice but who haven't necessarily experienced very many of the alternatives.

Thanks everyone for your input! Many are mentioning that Aldora uses bigger tanks, so longer dives. I have only ever dived in Bonaire, and have no idea what size and type their tanks are (was diving Nitrox). It seems like a 90 minute dive is really long, though even with a full wetsuit I start to get cold after an hour.

I am leaning towards the Scuba Club, because of its proximity to town (but not right in the middle of town) and because I will be solo, the opportunity to meet other divers, and shore dive all I want. I am sure that when I return (hopefully with my non-diving partner) we will stay somewhere else and do more exploring.

Back
Top Bottom