First Time to Coz - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I noticed no ne mentioned Scuba Club Cozumel. It's right across the road form Hotel Cozumel. They're running a special for Feb & Mar. See the details below. They are a semi AI resort. You run a tab for drinks & pay at the end of you stay. I've stayed there many time and love it there. They have a dive op on site & their own boats. They are bigger & slower than some dive ops, but the way I look at it is: i'm on vacation, and not in a hurry so slower boats don't bother me. BTW, I'm in no way affiliated with SCC, I just like them. :D

5 Nights
4 Days of Diving
3 Meals a Day
Plus Unlimited Beach Diving

$695 per person plus tax in double occupancy

BOOK BEFORE JANUARY 15th
AND GET A FREE NIGHT DIVE!

The "Light option" w/o dinner is also available.

Travel must be between Feb 1 and March 31, 2011. No other discounts apply. Rates subject to availability.

Call today for details

Aqua-Sub Tours at 1-800-847-5708

Glad to be wrong about computers and Nitrox card. The computer can tell you how much N2 loading you're getting on the third dive of a day if you study it well enough to know it, which is not really common, and depending on the dives plans I like at least one Nitrox tank out of four in a day.

As said before, hotels can run $50-100/night and more, 2 tank trips can run $60-85 plus tips.

I don't know what days you really want to go or I'd try to offer other suggestions in economy. Blue Angel rooms are higher, but very spacious and nice place - free breakfasts with rooms and free hamburgers on dive days.

I'm not sure from my skimming if someone confirmed this for you, but the Blue Angel does have safes in the rooms (and little refrigerators, too). I've never priced a package that was for shorter than 7 days, but on those, the price included breakfast and lunch on dive days. The food is very good, and you can order any breakfast or lunch entree on the menu (not just hamburgers!). In fact, we stayed down the street at Villablanca last month and still ate several of our meals at the Blue Angel.

I actually like shore diving at the Blue Angel, especially at night. If there's any drawback to the place in my mind, it's that it's just far enough from the main part of town that if you're tired, sore or carrying a lot of stuff, it may seem like a long walk. We generally walk in and cab back, or vice versa.

Another great option: Contact Opal with Scuba Mau. You can "google" Scuba Mau Cozumel. Email her and tell her what you are looking for, for how many and a date... She will respond promptly, and will do her best to find you a great deal on hotel and dives... Airfare- My suggestion only- Try the Orbitz, BookIt, Expedia routes, then try the airlines websites directly...

I have found that I can put together a better package separately, cheaper then using those sites, by simply making a few emails / phone calls (yes, call the places direct)... My next trip for 11 days: Transportation (minimal use of Taxis, free bikes with house, mainly walking)Private house = $1000.00, Dive Package= $720($60- 2 tank dives for 2 divers for 6days, unlimited shore dives), Airfare- $610 ($305 per diver), Meals- Eat in town, and at house... Since we don't eat anything beyond breakfast (at house), lunch (on boat/shore), Dinner we can eat in town for less than $30, since I am not scared to eat where the locals eat...
All total = much better than the $4200+ for 7 nights at an AI in Jamaica or the $3600 at our first Cozumel AI...

Best advice: Research, before buying... DandyDon has great advice on getting better deals... Sometimes AI is better, sometimes its not.. Jamaica AI with great food, lots of restaurants to choose from, top shelf booze free flowing, all scuba diving included in package was well worth the money, since it made the Ms. very happy... Diving wasn't bad, but definitely not Cozumel or Bonaire, but then again the Nightlife at the resort was well memorable...

Either way you go, just relax and enjoy the ride... Cozumel is a blast...

After our first trip to Coz at an AI, we discovered so many great places to eat in town that we only ate at the AI twice. Since then we've skipped the AI route because we wouldn't want to miss eating dinner out. Some hotels have a breakfast package, and that works best for us. The cheapest we've stayed is at Villa Blanca, which was very nice for the money. Joyce at Blue Magic Scuba got us the best deal. If you choose VB opt for the delux rooms, worth the extra $. Blue Magic will pick you up at the VB pier, but you have to pay Paradise $1/day to use it. Scuba Mau is right across the street, too, and there are great reviews on SB about them as well. You'll find the small OPs that aren't tied in with a hotel will try hard to find the best place for you to stay, and sometimes they can get you a better deal or package than you can find online. Have a great trip!

OK - My I'm trying to plan my first trip to Coz. Passports on their way. My local dive shop recommends Hotel Cozumel which seems to have dive packages and offers a inclusive stay as well as a breakfast option. For the inclusive it's around $800 for 4 nights - That's 3 two tank morning dives and 2 evening dives. Seems kinda pricey! What is the most economical way to do this and what dive shops are recommended down there? I will be taking my dive buddy so I am looking at about $1600 right now. Maybe just rent a room and pay for the dive when we get there? I will also be needing to rent a bc, regs, and tank/weights. Also would like to have a six pack - Don't like large cattle boats! Thanks in advance:D
We have always found that you save money by booking the hotel and dive separately. I think the normal price for a two tank morning dive is $69. We stayed for about two weeks with another couple last summer (Hotel Cozumel and Dive Paradise). We called ahead and worked out our own dive package. Came down to about $58 for two tanks dives. Another option is to book day by day. When you get on the island, pick up a tourist map called Hola Cozumel. There is alway a coupon there for 10% off at Dive Paradise. Really, all you have to do is mention Hola Cozumel at the dive desk and they will give you the discount.

We managed to set up for round trip air (non-stop!) and 7 nights hotel at Plaza Cozumel (breakfast buffet included) for about $1050 total (for the two of us) by going through Sun Country vacations. Not sure if it is still that cheap, but you can't beat the hotel location. Add on my favorite dive operator, and there you go! Woody

Wow, where do I find a private house in Coz for less than $1000 per week? Sign me up!

OK - i am headed down to Coz in a few weeks. What is the cheapest way from the airport to the blue angel? should i rent a car?

Back
Top Bottom