First Time to Coz - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done a few 'weekender' length Coz trips years ago, (last weekender style trip was 02/06) then skipped Coz for a few years due to the massive reef damage from the 2 hurricanes of 2005, went back for a full week late 08/2010 (Casa Del Mar/Del Mar Aquatics).

Long ago I vowed if I ever did return to Coz I wouldn't ever screw around with a 'weekender' style trip again, it's way too short to justify the travel hassles and I want more dives over which to amortize the airfare expenses. (your 8 dive trip is gonna cost ya $ 400 airfare, you're paying $50/dive just for airfare ) Realistically, the total net per price per dive (food/tips/Nitrox/etc) can easily be $ 150 - $ 200 per dive, bottom line. When you do the math, the short trips are the most overpriced on a per-dive basis, with a longer trip you can do more dives (I did 20 dives during my week, 19 boat and 1 shore dive), spread out the airfare costs over more dives, and get a volume discount priced dive package, driving down the per dive price.

Don't get too excited about anyone offering free shore diving...Cozumel ain't Bonaire, and Coz shore diving was nothing to write home about before the 2005 hurricanes, and is even less to write home about post-2005...but is good to dial in bouyancy/weighting issues and test out gear before doing the 'real' boat dives.

Blue Angel is a very nice place and Op, but their rates are quite a bit higher now than Hot Coz...
Thanks - No thats without airfare. Our airfare is around $400 per person. $800 to get there. From what I have been reading, I'm steering away from the AI. I won't be drinking that much. As far as the dives are they better on the south west end? If so maybe need to stay down there away from the crowds. Im going spring break! March 12-16
Price discussions can get confused when you mix single rate and combined couple rate. Looks like air starts at $423 each for those dates. You can often book air & hotel together for less, but that fails here!

You could book Hotel Coz with breakfasts for around $85/night including taxes = $340 = $170 each
Or AI for $956 = $478 each, which sounds high? :confused:

5 - 2 tank trips @ $60 & up = $300 or more each. I think the boats from there are large, slower boats, but some like those.

Your package sounds reasonable enough. If it include ground transfers, reject those as you can do them for half as much once there, easier even. I think book it without AI, spend a lot less on food.

As suggested, Casa del Mar is about the same on hotel, only $35 a day AI, altho the small menu got old by the third day last time I did it.

I stay at cheaper hotels and go with a fast boat Op with very reasonable prices, but on a 4 night trip - the bottom line doesn't vary that much. It's almost all good.

My daughter and family left today driving to the coast to take a cruise to Mexico. Among the pages of suggestions I gave her, I suggested she photocopy all of her passports and PP-cards, leave a copy with hubby, send me a copy - for help in case lost and to make sure they were all together. Well, at least they did check them before they left today - missing one! Last minute panic and search, left late.

OK heres what i'm getting, please chime in to help me save some money! I plan on staying 4 or 5 nights.

Hotel Coz prices are confusing! They start out with a 4-3-2 package European plan which includes breakfast for two people ocean room view for 862.84 + 170.66 Tax = $970.50. Then it comes up with options to select dive trips? Yea we want to dive! If I add these, 3 two dive morning and 2 evening it increases amenities charges of $245.95 plus $134.72 tax = $1243.50! Supposedly slower boats up to 16 people leave around 8:30am. They also have blackout dates up to March 11th which increases my air fair!

Looks like Blue Angle is $431 p/p for 5 nights and 3 dives. Only 3 dives? Were here to dive! That comes out to 862 not sure if tax is added on. We get taxed in Mexico? Whatever! Not sure how they came up with that one. I guess it includes breakfast. Not much information on website. Is there a safe in the room to lock up stuff? Seems to have faster boats and leave early around 8am? I don't know how to compare with hotel coz because it fewer dives and more nights.

Then the suggested Aqua Safari. $322 each. = 644 + tax? for 5 nights and 3 days of diving. Need more info on the Safari Inn, does it have a safe? Location? Boats fast, small, leaving time?

Also give me some more info on Martin! Is their rental gear nice? That could potentially save me since I will be needing to rent 2 sets of regs and bcs. Any more Dive Ops have like new rental gear?

Any other recommendations for quality budget diving? Did I put those two words together?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hotel Coz prices are confusing! They start out with a 4-3-2 package European plan which includes breakfast for two people ocean room view for 862.84 + 170.66 Tax = $970.50. Then it comes up with options to select dive trips? Yea we want to dive! If I add these, 3 two dive morning and 2 evening it increases amenities charges of $245.95 plus $134.72 tax = $1243.50! Supposedly slower boats up to 16 people leave around 8:30am. They also have blackout dates up to March 11th which increases my air fair!
You got me confused. Hotel Coz's 4-3-2 package includes 3 - 2 tanks trips and 2 - 1 tank trip, so why are you trying to add that many dives again? :confused: It prices on their site @ $897 + tax, for 2. Where are you looking exactly?

You said you were going March 12-16. When do you want to go?

This is not correct: "862.84 + 170.66 Tax = $970.50" but I think it's $1033.50

And what is this? "$245.95 plus $134.72 tax = $1243.50!" That 55% tax rate is wrong, I don't know how you are getting $1243, and why you are adding?

What do you want to do exactly?
Looks like Blue Angle is $431 p/p for 5 nights and 3 dives. Only 3 dives? Were here to dive! That comes out to 862 not sure if tax is added on. We get taxed in Mexico? Whatever! Not sure how they came up with that one. I guess it includes breakfast. Not much information on website. Is there a safe in the room to lock up stuff? Seems to have faster boats and leave early around 8am? I don't know how to compare with hotel coz because it fewer dives and more nights.
You're not looking at the site that Tunaman68 linked above are you? Looks like you got that rate from blueangel-scuba.com I don't know if those prices are still accurate or not, or why they have two sites, but presuming that it's correct - yeah it says "Taxes will be added to all Packages" Anyway, BA is a nice, boutique hotel, a bit pricier than Hotel Coz @ about $100/night plus taxes. The 3 trips you're looking at are 2 tanks trips, and you can add more, but I don't think they have the 1 tank afternoon trip like Hotel Coz. They have morning 2 tanks trips @ about $60 each, afternoon 2 tanks trips @ about $60 each, and possible options on night dives.

If you two are going to be doing 4 dives a day there on air tho, I hope you each have dive computers which you understand well - and dive them conservatively. Do you have DAN dive insurance, at least the middle plan?

Then the suggested Aqua Safari. $322 each. = 644 + tax? for 5 nights and 3 days of diving. Need more info on the Safari Inn, does it have a safe? Location? Boats fast, small, leaving time?

Also give me some more info on Martin! Is their rental gear nice? That could potentially save me since I will be needing to rent 2 sets of regs and bcs. Any more Dive Ops have like new rental gear?

Did you get my answer to your PM ?
Aqua Safari is right in town, on the waterfront/boardwalk, the hotel is upstairs, the dive shop downstairs and their pier across the street. Don't know about the safe as I never stayed there. According to their Website the $322 prices pp includes the IVA ("sales tax"). However, the $2 per day per diver Marine Park fee is not included.
The boat dives included in that package are probably for the big boat (up to 12 people with 2 DMs according to the Website) that leaves at 8:30 am, but if you pay extra you can probably book the small fast boats that leave at 8 am.
Their Website (Cozumel Scuba Diving with Aqua Safari) also includes prices on rental equipment, but doesn't specify if it's per day or per dive.
If I were you I'd contact them directly, let them know what you want specifically and ask them for quotes.
About the 5 nights/3 dive days : don't forget you're not supposed to dive 18 to 24 hours before flying. If you really want to dive as much as you can, you can book extra dives such as an afternoon dive on your day of arrival (if you get on the island early enough), and extra afternoon/night dives the other days.

I'll try some speculative math :
5 night/3 2-tank dive trips package : 322
extra for fast boat : approx 20
afternoon dive on first day : 35
additional 3rd dive on 3 day package : 3x15 = 45
additional 2 tank trip on fast boat for day 5 : 75
rental gear (assuming prices are per day and you only need reg and BCD) : 5x15 = 75
Marine Park fees : 5x2 =10
tips ($5 per tank) : 12x5 = 60
---------------------------------------
total : 642 per person for accomodation and 12 dives.
food and drinks : less than $30/day/person = 6x30 = less than 180
TOTAL all included except flight : about $800 per person

with a $400 flight, it comes down to $100/dive. Not cheap, but not bad for such a short stay.

Looks like Dive with Martin (Website : Home Page) might be cheaper. Just be aware that they don't pick up in town, so you'll have to pay for a cab to get there if you're staying in town.

Another option :
Stay at Hotel Pepita (less than $40 a night, in town 3 blocks from Waterfront, quiet secure place, no safe but never had any issue) for 5 nights and book with Dive with Martin.

5 nights accomodation : 200 total = 100 per person
4 2-tank trips package including equipment = 235
1 night dive at special rate of 30 = 30
2 2-tank twilight combo trips at 95 = 190
7 round trip cab rides between town and dive op = 7x10 total = 35 per person
tips ($5 per tank) : 13x5 = 65
3 dive light rental if you don't have one : 30
4 days of Marine Park fee : 4x2 = 8

Total : 728 for 13 dives.
food and drinks : less than 180
flight : 400

Whichever way you go, I think that's a lot of diving in such a small period. I would strongly suggest you use a computer and Nitrox on the 3rd and 4th dives of the day… which of course will add to the cost.

Also check the refund policies of whichever dive op you consider booking with.
I know the one I use (Aldora, haven't recommanded them since they don't fit your budget) only charges me for the dives actually made (provided I call them before hand if I'm not gonna show up, of course).
However, if you come down with a cold or worse, some will still charge you for the whole package. Don't know if that's the case with either Aqua Safari or Dive with Martin, but well worth checking before making a commitment if money is an issue.

Here's my suggestion.

It's your first trip to Coz, you aren't sure how things "roll", understandable. Solution, go...see..and learn more. so, email Dive with Martin and book your days of diving, at least a double tank AM dive each day. You can add on afternoon and/or evening dives when you get there, depending on what they have going that week. DwM is a good op, used them many times, no problems, good diving.

As far as the hotel. Check Orbitz flight and hotel option. go for one of the cheaper in-town locations, forget the AI, eat at local places, soak it in, walk around, see COZ. I've stayed at Suites Bahia and Colonial. Spartan rooms but acceptable.

This will be your welcome trip to Coz trip. You can see some of the other places and develope your own opinions related to location vs. price vs. whats more important to you.

you are going there to dive and you will enjoy your diving. the rest of your time on shore you can explore all the various options and make a plan for next time.

we will be there 3-3 thru 3-10. staying at Fiesta Americana and going with DwM.

You'll have a blast. Go Diving.

SeaFlea

As new as he is to diving, diving rental gear, I'd be surprised if he has a Nitrox card or dive computers each. Maybe, but not likely. Hope he owns surfacing signaling devices as they are not included with rentals. I also kinda think a big, slower boat might be better for newbies...
As far as the hotel. Check Orbitz flight and hotel option.
That often helps, but not always. His air is up from $423 to $497 for the discussion dates, Hotel Coz would be $340 for 4 nights = $170 each, but Hotel Coz and air would be $835 each. :idk:

I do have the computers and I'm debating on buying some bcs for the trip Maybe Zeagle Scouts- Will have nitrox card in hand also. The more I read its mind boggling but i think I will start out just with the double dive in the morning and try to slip in some night dives. I'd rather enjoy myself on the island than try to cram 13 dives in. I was thinking 5 nights - shore dive first night, nothing last day or night. So that leaves me with 3 day 2 tanks and maybe 2 or 3 night dives. So 8-10 dives is what I'm thinking. Looks like everywhere is about the same 300-400 p/p for the packages. Maybe I will try the Blue Angel - See yall in Coz! 3/10-3/15

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom