First time to 60 feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never have any need to get AOW, nor encountered any resistance from dive operators or DMs for diving in certain sites / situation. They just asked how long I have been diving, types of divings, how many dives in the last 12 months. For the first year I'm paired with more experience dive buddies. After 8 years & 400 dives, I finally took AOW. That was 3 years ago.

Everybody's different when it comes to AOW. I had only 2 post OW cert dives and started AOW. Did the first 3 dives in Springs. During those 3 months I did get in two charters to 60-80' before finishing the last 2 AOW dives from a boat. When & where I took it had to do with timing--when it was offered, etc. When done with it, of course I was not "advanced" with like 15 total dives done. The OP doing only 35' dives could be due to several reasons--location for shore dives, lack of money or location to do charter dives, or lack of access to deeper shore dives. AOW means 5 more dives and can't hurt at all--unless the OW diver has serious problems such as buoyancy control or non mastery of basic equipment usage.

*********We gotta do something about this double post problem when a computer is running slowly (mine seems to be doing that only on SB). I noticed a double post today by someone else.

Last edited:
We gotta do something about this double post problem when a computer is running slowly (mine seems to be doing that only on SB). I noticed a double post today by someone else.

Howard could probably put a limiter in place that will not allow you to post for 15-20sec after posting. This will prevent the "my computer/internet sucks and I am click happy" syndrome.

Could you edit your 2nd post to a word like "duplicate", so it doesn't take up space in the thread?

You're going to 60 ft, not the moon. Not to be harsh, but I'd suggest pumping the brakes a little bit and just do what others are doing in your class and what your instructor recommends. You've got threads going about pony bottles, bp/w, etc......and you're talking about being nervous going to 60 ft. I get it, you're excited, but try and calm down and just take it all in for a while. I always get a chuckle when I see newbies show up to class with all this new gear that they not only don't need, but will probably never use anyways. How many people have we all seen show up to OW class with a big rambo knife on their leg? You're motto right now should be keep it simple.

It's easy to feel butterflies about a "first", esp. if you have a lot of time to mull it over in advance and others hype it up. Just take it slow and remember that you are supposed to be having fun. If you definetely aren't having fun anymore, abort the dive. If you are feeling nervous watch your breathing => to an amazing extent you can be calm in you breath calmly (and in turn become stressed if you breath fast and shallow like a stressed person). Pause frequently to breath in with a slow, long, deep motion. Then breath out, once again slowly and easily in a relaxed manner. I usually do that 3x in a row, and only then start considering what I want to do next.

One really nice thing about diving is that you don't need to be scared, or stressed, or "have the taste of blood in your mouth" (as the Finns describe the feeling). If you genuinely aren't happy/aren't having fun, you are not only entirely entitled to abort the dive, but you're actually a smart cookie for doing so.

I'm going to agree with FinnMom here. Just take it easy and relax, if you are apprehensive, ask a dive master or instructor to do it with you. That's what we're here for. To get you more comfortable and help you be more competent. As far as the pony bottle goes, I personally LOVE pony bottles!! It's a completely redundant air source that doesn't require another living soul. I would highly recommend practicing pulling the reg out from the bands and switching regulators in the pool, but it's not a hard skill. You already switch regulators in open water, it's just not coming from your back this time. It's also a good thing to practice re-stowing the regulator. Just remember, slow is fast. Take it easy and enjoy it.

Luke,
Sorry, but I find your post very disturbing. It's ok to be a new diver, we all were at one point. All of your dives thus far have only been to 35'?...why? and why were you so quick to apply for advanced certification? if you are "a little scared" to go below 35' you don't deserve to hold an advanced cert card. You need to slow down and get some more experience before any more advanced training.

I can only speak for myself, but I was "quick to apply for advanced certification" (that is, take the Advanced Open Water course) because it was a good way to get a few more dives under my belt under the guidance of an instructor and at the same time expose myself to some different kinds of dives. As has been pointed out in many threads before, regardless of the title of the course, the only thing "advanced" about the Advanced Open Water course is that it helps the diver advance in his diving. By taking the course, a diver will have "advanced" beyond where he was when he was fresh out of the OW course.

I think it's admirable that the OP is taking it slowly, beginning with relatively conservative, shallow dives, and gradually expanding his comfort zone through additional training and deeper diving. Being "a little scared" of 60+ foot dives as a newly minted OW diver is nothing to be ashamed of, and taking the Advanced Open Water class is likely to help build such a person's confidence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom