First time shopping at the LDS. I didn't do well, lesson learned.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regs that I knew that the shop was a certified dealer. I find it very hard to figure out whether certain sites are certified dealers. And the dive shop was the better deal than many of the sites!

The prevailing term is "authorized" dealer and it's really easy to find out - check with the manufacturer. Leisure Pro is one of the few large online retailers that are unauthorized for many products.

I guess if you're looking for the price-fixing consumer-unfriendly brands of Scubapro/Aqualung then you'll have to take the deal you can get at your dive shop.

Buyer beware. Now that said the LDS is entailed to make a profit. They need to keep the doors open and lights on pay insurance and many mail order outfits don't have a lot of the fixed cost to support. Net places don't have classes you can take, quick repairs, people to talk to that breathe. There is a trade off if shops close ... then how do I do my advance class then? It's seem if there are more Dive Shops in the area prices are trimmed alot more but when far between some may be higher ... alot higher.

So, shop the net but the LDS still needs support to keep the door open. You know you can walk in a LDS say this item is so much on the net, I can get it there but I'd rather give you the sale but I have to watch my dollars I'm not unlimited here. Help me out here besides equipment I need further training. Not to talk about eventual trips I'd like to take that your shop does also. I need a home but can't afford one thats way more expensive here! So what can you do?

Alot of LDS's will work with you ... those that don't tell them bye ... but remember when you need something fixed are whatever and walk back in there don't to be surprized your not welcomed with open arms.

Alot of LDS's will work with you ...

Can someone please explain to me what this means? Are we supposed to say to the LDS, "I know you are taking advantage of me, but would you please take a bit less of my hard earned money?"

Some LDS's will give a discount when purchasing a lot of gear and paying with cash. Also will inform of upcoming sales and when new stock arrives to discount older stock, etc. Open communication is good for both the retailer and the consumer.

Alot of LDS's will work with you ... those that don't tell them bye ... but remember when you need something fixed are whatever and walk back in there don't to be surprized your not welcomed with open arms.

I think the SCUBA DSs that I do telephone and internet sales with are also LDSs.

If the LDS does not give good customer service for repairs - go to another LSD.

Who's doing you a favor? The LDS that makes you beg for a price that the other guys are offering upfront? There are a series of shops around here that are developing a reputation for agressive pricing, right off the bat. Those are the guys who will make it, not the ones who stick MSRP on everything and then expect you to strike up an awkward conversation about how much you want to support them but can't afford their prices.

Buyer beware. Now that said the LDS is entailed to make a profit. They need to keep the doors open and lights on pay insurance and many mail order outfits don't have a lot of the fixed cost to support. Net places don't have classes you can take, quick repairs, people to talk to that breathe.

Oh pul-leeze, not this horse crap again. Give me a few examples of such "mail order" outfits? I will bet you the ten biggest online retailers all have physical stores and greater overhead costs than your average LDS.

Can someone please explain to me what this means? Are we supposed to say to the LDS, "I know you are taking advantage of me, but would you please take a bit less of my hard earned money?"

If you really want to be blunt, I guess that would work. But perhaps something like, "I can get this cheaper online but I really would rather support my local shop if it is not going to cost me too much." Then see what he does with the opportunity.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom