First time out with new DSS rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good question.

Today or tomorrow I'm going to go back out with a steel tank (which I will be diving much more of than the borrowed AL) and set up with all my crap. Primary and backup light, compass and the like and see how much weight I need then. I'll post back here and get opinions on rather or not a Kydex is still the best choice or not.

Edit: And Tobin already answered. I don't normally use AL tanks, so I still have not actually worked out how much weight I need in common practice.

Most commonly encountered steel tanks are about 6 lbs more negative empty than an al 80. There are some exceptions, but most steel tanks are ~-1 to -2 lbs empty vs + 4 for an al 80.

Quick conversion from fresh to salt water, add 1 lbs of ballast for every 40 lbs of diver and gear.

Tobin

So sorry to hear about your experience....maybe you should have bought a Jacket Style BC :)

Makes sense. I guess I see thin exposure protection and assume warm water/rental AL80s. It will be interesting to hear how your trim works out with the steel tank.

Makes sense. I guess I see thin exposure protection and assume warm water/rental AL80s. It will be interested to hear how your trim works out with the steel tank.

My LDS has very few ALs available and a metric ass tonne of steels. I was given two AL80s but don't like them much because with my high sac rate I run out of gas way before I run out of bottom time.

My LDS has very few ALs available and a metric ass tonne of steels. I was given two AL80s but don't like them much because with my high sac rate I run out of gas way before I run out of bottom time.

Your sac rate will get better over time. I used to burn through an AL80 in 15 - 20 minutes. After 60 dives, I'm hitting 30 - 35. (Remember, I'm 6' 6" and 290lbs... big fella. :p)

Good job on buying a DSS rig. I bought one about 6 months after paying to much for a Oceanic jacket BC. By far the best investment in scuba diving I've had is any of the DSS gear. I just bought a set of LP95s and e-mailed Tobin on what doubles wing he recommends. Whatever he says, I'll get it custom made with the dump valve on the right.

Keep us updated on your tweaking of your rig. I am still tweaking mine after 40 dives.

Michael

Keep drinking the kool-aid, my friend. Next thing you know you'll be diving a long hose setup :wink:

fnfalman:
Play with your trim by curling and extending your legs.

This is excellent advice, and the very first thing I would try before I moved anything around..

Ok so I took my new DSS rig out for its second pool dive today, and I’m sold. I’m not going back. This time I was in the water with the full ensemble.

I started by double checking how much weight I needed with a AL80 at 500psi, 8lbs seems about right, down a pound from wearing no lights or anything.

I rented a LP95, and noticed when I was gearing up that it’s a Faber 87 at 2400psi with a 10% overfill, fresh from the shop with 2600psi (not sure where my extra 40psi went). I did not manage to suck it down to 500psi, but from full to 1500psi I need no weight at all. I hope that does not change in the last 1000psi.

I only got to 1500psi because I was asked to leave the pool, and told I would no longer be able to dive there anymore. The reason given was that a new manager took over the pool today. This was told to me by the cashier whom I told what I was doing when I first got there and paid. Somehow, in about 45min, the pool was under new management and I was no longer welcomed. Oi.

With the tank in a position where I can crane my neck and not hit the first stage, and my legs bent like I see frog kickers doing I was able to stay level and hover as long as I controlled my breathing. The down side to this is stretching back out to flutter kick angles me downward and sinks me a few feet.

Another problem I had was the regulator set I rented came with an inflator hose way too long to be very helpful. It looped and took the inflator up and over my shoulder every time I let go of it. Next time I need to get the shop to switch it out for the one that came with the wing, or do it myself.

The bungeed & bolt snapped backup light was much easier to remove and replace than fishing it out of a BC pocket.

The harness is fitting well, I just needed to loosen the crotch strap and tighten the shoulders a little from the first time.

I brought a quarter down with my on the thought that I could practice compass courses with the quarter as my base. I set the quarter down, took a heading, moved the index marks and started swimming. As I swam, the compass just started twirling. My guess would be the concrete around the pool is reinforced. Oh well.

I'm thinking DSS and Tobin was the smart choice for my first BCD of any kind. :cool2:

Klint,

My day was a bit of a struggle, I had a CNC lathe fail and that's never fun, I'm scrambling to get it fixed.

Reading your post brightened my day, again thanks for the kind words and good luck with your diving.

Tobin

Ok so I took my new DSS rig out for its second pool dive today, and I’m sold. I’m not going back.

I'm thinking DSS and Tobin was the smart choice for my first BCD of any kind. :cool2:

Ah yes, another diver that has seen the light! I feel the exact same way! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom