First time Maui diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, not normal at all. That was in the channel between Maui and Molokai. Very high west winds for several days had churned it up. And even at that it was no worse a ride than some I've had to Catalina. Inside the shadow of the island was very nice.

the winds and waves tend to kick up more in the afternoons, so you'll find most ops leaving early to get back before that happens. The biggest waves I've ever reboarded a boat in were off Maui on a rare afternoon trip. I saw sky under all of Ed Robinson's 30ft boat.

We did however, spend some quality time with a Manta inside Mokokini that day.

Do you guys have a place booked? If not we have a nice condo for rent in Wailea which it available after we leave on the 12th. You can check it out at Palms at Wailea 703

6-8 foot waves for the Molokai Maui Channel is a gentle day from my experience. Some say it is second only to the Ali Nui Haha (sp?) channel between Maui and Big Island for the world's worst island crossing. Don't worry, the rest of Maui is usually a lot nicer.

We've stayed at KBH before and really enjoyed our stay. You can't beat the location and grounds, and doing a shore dive (day or night) at Black Rock is really easy from there. The hotel rooms are pretty basic, not fancy at all, but ours was clean and large, so when you considered the price, it was an excellent deal.

Regardless of who you choose to dive with, I would recommend you speak with your boat crew and let them know your experience level. Some of the operators out of Kihei will do pretty aggressive dive profiles when they have a boat of experienced folks, so it's important to speak up. People may say that Maui is "tropical diving" and easy, but every year we always have a couple of days where the diving is challenging....with current, waves, reboarding the boat, etc.

If you want to dive Molokini, you have a choice of either driving to Kihei and catching a boat, or going with Lahaina Divers and having a long boat ride down there. We've done both and honestly always really enjoyed the boat ride with Lahaina Divers as you really get excellent whale watching (in season) and gorgeous views of Maui. Now we choose to get up earlier and drive to Kihei for Molokini and S. Maui dives (with Ed Robinsons) when we stay in Kaanapali, but always go back to Lahaina Divers for our Lanai charters since those 46' Newton dive boats are soooo comfortable for the crossing (even in rougher conditions).

You won't go wrong booking with Ed Robinson's, Mike Severns, or B&B out of Kihei or Lahaina Divers out of Lahaina in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom