First time Maui diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lottifish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm going to be diving in Maui with my husband this September for the first time. We have about 27 dives under our belts (mostly California diving - cold water with 7mm's) but some diving in St. Lucia and Mexico as well.

I'm looking for answers to two things:

First of all, can you recommend a good boat dive charter? I'd like it not to be too crowded and to be friendly to newbie divers. I like easy diving - the less current/waves the better and I'm still kind of clumsy getting all my gear on so the less people on the bigger the boat, the better.

Secondly - do you need a wetsuit in Maui in September? I didn't wear one in St. Lucia and I was fine. I wore my 7mm in Mexico and was so hot (in January)! Thoughts?

Thanks!

I have gone with Lahaina Divers and Mike Severns. If you want personalized service, Mike Severns is the way to go. They don't have a shop of their own, but only operate a boat out of Kihei to Molokini. This isn't knocking Lahaina Divers in any way, their boats are just bigger and they load them with more people, which doesn't sound like something you would want. I've also heard Ed Robinson's is good, but I know there are some Maui-ites on here that will chime in with some good suggestions as well.

As far as wetsuits, I rock a 3 mm shorty in the summer and a 3 mm fullsuit in the winter. Some people prefer 5 mm, but this seems to be an overkill for me.

We typically go to Maui in September and when I've used Lahaina Divers their boats have not been full but rather 10-12 divers which gives you lots of nice room on their Neptune boats.

I typically see water temps around 79-80 degrees and have used 3MM and 5MM full suits. It just depends on how much diving you'll be doing. Most of the DMs I see wear 5MM or 7MMs because they in the water 3+ times a day.

If you have 27 mostly California dives, you're not a newbie vis-a-vis vacation diving operations.

Posted via Mobile Device

You don't mention where you are staying on Maui- there are two basic areas of departure for the major boat operations - Lahaina - which is a good area to travel to Lanai or some of the west maui site. From this area, I would recommend Extended Horizons - smaller boat but more personal service. They leave from the Mala boat ramp in Lahaina.
If you want to go to Molokini, I woulc recommend one of the ops who leave from the Kihei boat ramp. I have had many good trips with Ed Robinsons. Others here like B&B which tends to be one of the early boats out of that area. Both of these ops as well as Mike Severns have gotten good reviews. Any one of the 3 should treat you right.
There are a couple boats that also leave from Maalea - but that is a longer trip to either Molokini or Lanai.
Remember also that Maui has great shore diving so be sure to give that a try also.

Hi there. I've been out with Mike Severns and Ed Robinsons. Both are excellent with detailed briefings and dive your own pace attitude. We will also be in Maui Aug 29- Sept 12 and my wife doesn't dive so if your dates are similar and want to also do some shore diving which is excellent I am looking for buddies to dive with. You can call me at 604-308-3565 or send a message here. We are staying at our condo in South Maui at "The Palms at Wailea" close to lots of great shore dives. 2 tanks, and weights is only $19 per person from Maui Dive shop in Kehei. Dive flag is $5

Also I wear a 3mm full wetsuit any time of year there which is very comfortable even with most dives being an hour or more.

Hi Stuart. Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, we don't get in until Sept. 12th. Thanks for the info!

I'll agree with everything said above. I am comfortable in a 3 mil coming from So Cal's cooler waters. Lahaina Divers has a great operation, and all the others mentioned have had good reviews. LD does go to a variety of places and you can see their schedule on line, so if you have someplace specific in mind and want to plan ahead, that might help. With your experience I would avoid the Molokai trip if the trades are blowing and the seas are up. Getting back on a boat in 6-8ft seas is a bit tricky. :scared:

And also as mentioned, if you are in Kapalua, Kahana, Kaanipali or Lahaina, they are very close, so no need to get up too early. If you are south in Kehei, the other ops would also do well for you. You can also see Shaka Doug from the boards for help with shore diving.

I was there last week and wish I was there now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom