First time I've seen this: A Red Cabezon!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cool photo ... I've seen a red cabbie there before too (a couple years ago), so I think it must be due to something they're eating.

Did ya see my slide show of hooded nudis from that same place the previous day?

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=122593

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great HN pictures Bob. OE2X and I spent about 10 minutes there while I tried to take pictures of them. I failed. I had the AE set to *pattern* and never could get any of the pictures correctly exposed. Finally after leaving the nudis I set the AE to center weighted and the rest of the pictures we much better.

OE2X told me that he showed you how to use PS to clean up photos... that is going to take hours of your life away you know. :D
(btw - none of the pictures I posted above where photoshopped to take out the backscatter. Some had backscatter and some didn't.)

We saw two in Monterey Bay last weekend that were about that color...pretty red in any event. Maybe it's some seasonal part of their diet?

My brother got some pics of it...dunno if they turned out, but I'll ask him to post some if they did.

Cabezon are cool looking! :D

Former Cousteau and UCSB associate, Dr. Milton Love in his humorous and informative book "Probably More Than You Want to Know About the Fishes of the Pacific Coast" states that cabezon can indeed be red. I've seen reddish ones as well as the other more common colors.

Uncle Pug:
Great HN pictures Bob. OE2X and I spent about 10 minutes there while I tried to take pictures of them. I failed. I had the AE set to *pattern* and never could get any of the pictures correctly exposed. Finally after leaving the nudis I set the AE to center weighted and the rest of the pictures we much better.
Are you still using the Optio?
I only get to keep a very small percentage of the pics I take because of focusing issues.... I'm wondering if this is my problem as well.

Snowbear:
Are you still using the Optio?
I only get to keep a very small percentage of the pics I take because of focusing issues.... I'm wondering if this is my problem as well.
Yes... still using the Optio.

I have focusing issues as well, usually of the *I can't wait any longer for this thing to focus so I'm going to take the picture anyway* variety. Those pictures seldom turn out.

Setting the focus area to spot and making sure that 1) your subject has enough light and that 2) there is enough contrast on the subject will help speed things up. Wait for the green light to quit blinking and/or the focus bars to narrow and turn green.

Even at that I get far more tossers than keepers.

Uncle Pug:
Setting the focus area to spot...
Wait for the green light to quit blinking and/or the focus bars to narrow and turn green.
I do that. Usually :D
Though in macro mode, it has to be withing the correct distance range as well. Otherwise the focus bars turn red and the light won't quit blinking.
Uncle Pug:
Even at that I get far more tossers than keepers.
Yep.

Could it be pigmentation like how some mice/rats are albinos?

Or maybe he just ate a ton of Crab. Or was angry another fish ate his Crab. Who knows :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom