First Time Equipment Recommendations for Woman...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sslkrissi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
I am doing my open water dives this weekend in order to complete the PADI open water certification. I would like to purchase my own regulator and BCD, but have no clue where to start. It seems that I can get better prices by shopping online. For that reason, I have not gone to my local dive shop to purchase the gear yet. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions for a good regulator and bcd, I would really appreciate it. Not sure if this matters, but I am very small (5'2 and 95lbs).

Thanks

I am not a fan of online scuba purchases for big ticket items such as a BCDs or Regulators but we won't go there on this post (it has been hashed out on this board adnausem) Buying a wetsuit online may not be a good idea either unless you are positive you know what size to get.

Most shops will work with you on prices especially if you are a student.

The gear you get will depend on what kinda of diving you will be doing.

Colder water would maybe want an environmentally sealed regulator (diaphragm) but if you're doing warm water diving you could use a piston type regulator. I am going to mention Scuba Pro only because I know that a MK17 is a diaphragm type and the MK25 is a piston. You could do some looking on the internet as to what brands have diaphragm vs piston types. Scuba Pro, Sherwood, Oceanic are all great regulator companies. You may also want to think about getting them serviced. Does a shop in your area service the gear you're looking at or are you going to have to ship it some where and then pray it doesn't get lost in transit 2 weeks before your big dive trip to ........ where ever.

BCD's - do you want a back inflate? A Jacket style? I currently have a back inflate (Scuba Pro LadyHawk) and it is great for your trim and positioning in the water but if for some reason I have to kneel on the bottom of the pool while teaching or a platform it wants to throws me forward but it has much less of a restrictive feeling than the jacket style (in my opinion). Most manufacturers have women specific BCD's and would recommend at looking at those for a better fit rather than a men's BCD.

Hope this helps

have a long and safe dive life!!

ScubaPro, Aqualung, Apex, Sherwood, Zeagle.

In fact these days most of the top companies make great regulators and bc's as long as you are comparing products from the same range (ie low-end, mid-range, high-end). Most of the high-end regulators perform in a similar way with very little noticable difference. Same goes for BC's. Don't get caught up in brands. Find the one that fits you best. This means go into a few shops and try on the bc's from different companies. Then buy what fits you best. Difficult to try stuff on over the net...

Consider the type of diving you may wish to do. ie don't get a warm water reg if you think you maybe doing some cold water diving etc

Try get stuff that can be serviced locally. ie if you buy on the net you may have to send your regulator/bc away for servicing. So if you buy off the net then make sure it is stuff your local shop stocks.

A friend of mine just completed his OW cert, and has asked me to help him find equipt. that would be good for him. My advice is; Don't rush, you're just begining. learn from your dive instructor, join a local diving club and learn from the members. Don't but somthind on-line if it has to fit, you need servicing, or your life depends on it. Not every dive shop will have your size (my friend is a small mens). so you will have to look around. not every dive shop has the BCD that has all the features you may want. any shop will sell you any equipt. they have for the right price.
Don't rush. LEARN!!

A friend of mine just completed his OW cert, and has asked me to help him find equipt. that would be good for him. My advice is; Don't rush, you're just begining. learn from your dive instructor, join a local diving club and learn from the members. Don't but somthind on-line if it has to fit, you need servicing, or your life depends on it. Not every dive shop will have your size (my friend is a small mens). so you will have to look around. not every dive shop has the BCD that has all the features you may want. any shop will sell you any equipt. they have for the right price.
Don't rush. LEARN!!

true enough for the BCD's, try a few before you decide what to get.

As far as regulators go, get your own (and have it serviced according to the manufacturers recommendations). That is THE most important piece of gear you will be buying so you don't want to have to rent one and "HOPE" the shop has kept the servicing on that regulator up.

I agree that if you can try on as many different types and styles of BCs as possible, you'll be in much better shape. you also need to narrow down your preferences of what you're looking for in a BC before anyone can really help you with suggestions of ones to try. You also don't want to fall into the trap of feeling that you have to only look at women's styles since a lot of women fit into and prefer a "man's" style of BC.

You really have a choice of everything from a full jacket BC to a Backplate and win (BP/W). A lot of folks on this board really like and promote the BP/W due to it's infinite adjustability. Then there are a few of us who find them to be uncomfortable and prefer the padding and comfort of a BC.

Personally, I perfer Zeagle back inflate BCs with their modular design and the ability to mix and match for a custom fit. As far as regs, I looked at the ScubaLab testing (a few years ago) and found that the Zeagle Envoy regs got nearly perfect scores, and for the money it just didn't seem beatable. Now I've been diving an Envoy (primary and secondary) for over 4 years and find it breathes as well at 13' as it does at 133'.

sslkrissi

As others have said... Stop and do some homework.

Any of the brand name regulators that can be serviced locally will do fine. Buy a mid level model or better. If you see yourself doing a lot of dive travel do some homework on what is easy to have serviced worldwide. Sherwood and Scubapro come to mind here.

If there is ANY potential for cold water diving then be sure to get a cold capable regulator. Almost any fresh water will be cold at depth. The extra cost is minimal. Even if you don't see yourself doing this right now be prepared.

The BC is the bigger trick. Note what you have been training in, model, size features you like and dislike. Try others by renting, borrowing or visiting dive shop pools. You are Cinderella looking for the magic slipper here.

Congratulations on your eminent certification and welcome to diving.

Pete

Most of the name manufacturers make BCD's that are sized and designed specifically for women and provide a better fit. Certainly a good fitting BCD makes a big difference. Sherwood Luna's and the Zeagle Zena are two that come to mind but there are many more out there and new ones all the time. As for regs, try a few before you buy I personally like the Zeagles and the Atomics and own several of each. Good luck and happy diving!

Be very careful when buying a BC -- You are tiny, and you're going to run into the same problem I had, which is that very few BCs are sized for very small women. I ended up going with a backplate and wing system, because the harness is infinitely adjustable. Getting a good fit, so that the tank remains stable on your back in the water, is really important.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom