First time diving Monterey - Cypress on 3/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, five pounds heavy with a full tank is completely inaccurate unless its an aluminum tank. The distinction is important, as five pounds heavy with a steel tank is going to make a very, very overweighted diver if they're already overweighted to begin with. Positive buoyancy at the end of the dive will not happen with a steel tank; you'll be lucky if the tank is even neutrally buoyant at the end of the dive.

Why?

Assuming a single tank, with about 80cf-100cf of gas, the mass of the gas in the tank is about 6-8lbs. So if you want to end your dive neutrally buoyant (with, say 500psi of gas left) with an empty wing/BCD, you will start the dive about 6-8lbs heavy (less a little bit since you shoudln't actually be draining the whole tank).

Why?

Assuming a single tank, with about 80cf-100cf of gas, the mass of the gas in the tank is about 6-8lbs. So if you want to end your dive neutrally buoyant (with, say 500psi of gas left) with an empty wing/BCD, you will start the dive about 6-8lbs heavy (less a little bit since you shoudln't actually be draining the whole tank).

LP 85 Steel Tank reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

From that, buoyancy if the tank is empty is still negative for a LP steel.

HP Steel 80 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-80 reviews and discounts, Worthington

From that, buoyancy if the tank is empty is even more negative for a HP steel.

You definitely want to end your dive neutrally buoyant, however, the 5 pounds extra for a tank is a general rule of thumb because of aluminum tanks.

Genesis Catalina 80 Cubic Aluminum Tank with K Valve

From that, buoyancy when full is -1.8 pounds. If you're assuming the gas in the tank is 6-8 pounds (sounds about right so I'll run with it), then yes, you are positively buoyant at the end of the dive by a lot, hence the 5 pounds extra to offset that at the end of the dive.

However, with steel tanks, you are still negatively buoyant at the end of the dive, hence there's no need for the extra weight. And also the main reason why I prefer steels any day over an aluminum, far better buoyancy characteristics and they hold more air since they're thinner since steel is a tougher metal. I don't want this to evolve into a steel vs. aluminum pissing match though so I'll leave the explanation there.

The caveat I didn't mention is that there /are/ aluminum tanks that are specifically designed to be neutrally buoyant...with these, you probably would not need the extra 5 pounds but I've never used one so I can't say for sure.

These tables are showing you buoyancy numbers for the tank and valve, nothing else. Doesn't take into account the buoyancy of other parts of the kit (BCD/bp/wing, regulators, the DIVER, exposure suit, lead ballast).

Can we agree that the important thing is that regardless of what tank you select, the important thing (in this regard) is to be able to hold a stop at the end of the dive?

In order to do that, you must be able to establish neutral buoyancy for the whole kit. Let's say that given your body composition, and exposure suit, and regs, etc... that requires X lbs of lead. If the gas you consumed weighed about 5 lbs, then that means your tank was 5 lbs heavier at the start of the dive, so you were 5lbs overweight.

The question of steel vs. aluminum simply adjusts how much of the [tank + kit + diver + exposure suit + lead] equation is in the tank part and how much is in the lead part. If the sum of that gets you neutral at the end of the dive, then you must have started out heavy by the weight of the gas you consumed.

LP 85 Steel Tank reviews and discounts, XS Scuba

From that, buoyancy if the tank is empty is still negative for a LP steel.

HP Steel 80 Scuba Tank High Pressure X7-80 reviews and discounts, Worthington

From that, buoyancy if the tank is empty is even more negative for a HP steel.

You definitely want to end your dive neutrally buoyant, however, the 5 pounds extra for a tank is a general rule of thumb because of aluminum tanks.

Genesis Catalina 80 Cubic Aluminum Tank with K Valve

From that, buoyancy when full is -1.8 pounds. If you're assuming the gas in the tank is 6-8 pounds (sounds about right so I'll run with it), then yes, you are positively buoyant at the end of the dive by a lot, hence the 5 pounds extra to offset that at the end of the dive.

However, with steel tanks, you are still negatively buoyant at the end of the dive, hence there's no need for the extra weight. And also the main reason why I prefer steels any day over an aluminum, far better buoyancy characteristics and they hold more air since they're thinner since steel is a tougher metal. I don't want this to evolve into a steel vs. aluminum pissing match though so I'll leave the explanation there.

The caveat I didn't mention is that there /are/ aluminum tanks that are specifically designed to be neutrally buoyant...with these, you probably would not need the extra 5 pounds but I've never used one so I can't say for sure.

As long as we're off topic... Physics 101

The debate between steel and aluminum is purely about how much total weight you need to have as steel tanks are generally more efficient in that they can hold more air for a given external volume of a tank, which is what drives buoyancy. Low pressure steel tanks are generally heavier than aluminum which means the aluminum tank diver will need more lead, but overall the total weight (Tank + lead) will be identical if the tanks have the same external dimensions and contain the same amount of air. Steel's advantage is that it can hold the same amount of air as an aluminum tank, but in a smaller package with similar weight (more efficient), making it displace less water (less buoyant) which means that it will sink like lead so you don't need as much additional weight.

Air is a constant (ignoring minor density changes due to temperature) and at 60F is .07786 lbs/cuft. 80 cubic feet weighs 6.2 lbs and in doesn't matter if it is in a steel tank, aluminum tank or a giant plastic bag. As the air leaves the tank it becomes lighter at the same rate for either tank (or plastic bag) and the change from full to empty is identical.

The absolute best way to determine how much weight you NEED is to make adjustments with an empty tank. If you can just barely descend with an empty tank, your weighting is perfect.

I have yet to see an explanation as to why a beach dive would be better than a boat dive at a comparable dive site. I'm interested to know why you would think surf on top of everything else without a DM around just in case is a better alternative?

One of the advantages of a beach dive is that you can do things at your own pace. I definitely found my first boat dives in California to be a little hectic compared to the resort diving I had done elsewhere. Especially when dealing with new gear or when getting accustomed to a new environment, both having to assemble gear in the confined space of the boat deck and feeling a bit of pressure to hit the water in timely manner can be added stressors.

In addition, if you're being really conscientious about dialing in your buoyancy, you might make several trips in and out of the water as you add or remove lead. This is something of a painful exercise either on the boat or at the beach. But at the beach, you won't be worried about holding up the show; in my opinion, you're more likely to take the time to get it right. Moreover, on a beach dive you'll be fooling around with gear in waist-deep water. That's far more forgiving than jumping in and sitting on top of, say, Ballbuster.

A beach dive is probably also going to offer a less aggressive dive profile. Adopting a forgiving profile is probably your best bet in any new environment, and going from warm water to cold water no doubt makes this doubly true. Among other things, the buoyancy swing with depth in a 7mm wetsuit is profoundly more substantial than in a 3mm. So a new Monterey diver might be better served by making the slow, mellow ascent afforded by just swimming on in at most shore sites, rather than attempting a direct ascent in blue water at some boat site.

As for "surf on top of everything," well I'd recommend that a new diver not dive if there's surf. Simple.

All that said, the OP is likely to have great dive on the Cypress Sea. As others have said, it's a nice boat with a good crew. But since you asked, these are just a few reasons why some folks (me included) argue that a shore dive might be the preferable way to get acquainted with California diving.

Also, five pounds heavy with a full tank is completely inaccurate unless its an aluminum tank.

Nope, it's exactly accurate, for the reasons rhlee gave.

These tables are showing you buoyancy numbers for the tank and valve, nothing else. Doesn't take into account the buoyancy of other parts of the kit (BCD/bp/wing, regulators, the DIVER, exposure suit, lead ballast).

Can we agree that the important thing is that regardless of what tank you select, the important thing (in this regard) is to be able to hold a stop at the end of the dive?

In order to do that, you must be able to establish neutral buoyancy for the whole kit. Let's say that given your body composition, and exposure suit, and regs, etc... that requires X lbs of lead. If the gas you consumed weighed about 5 lbs, then that means your tank was 5 lbs heavier at the start of the dive, so you were 5lbs overweight.

The question of steel vs. aluminum simply adjusts how much of the [tank + kit + diver + exposure suit + lead] equation is in the tank part and how much is in the lead part. If the sum of that gets you neutral at the end of the dive, then you must have started out heavy by the weight of the gas you consumed.

To clarify, the only thing I was pointing out was that you do not need to add 5 pounds to your lead to offset lost air at the end of a dive with a steel tank. I absolutely agree that the important thing is to be able to hold a stop at the end of the dive. If we really want to get technical, it doesn't even matter if a diver is "overweighted" or "underweighted" since it's good enough if they can do that at the end of a dive.

I agree that the air obviously is going to weigh the same regardless of the container it's in, however, a steel tank weighs more so you don't need as much lead in your BCD or weight belt as a result thereof. I probably could have been more clear in stating why the 5 pounds was unnecessary; it's not because there's "less air" in the aluminum tank but because you just don't need as much weight in general if you're using a steel tank. My statement still stands for the extra 5 pounds if using an aluminum tank...go look it up in the PADI books. If you hate PADI for X reason, go look it up in SSI, NAUI, etc....I'm sure it says something similar. *shrugs*

As long as we're off topic... Physics 101

The debate between steel and aluminum is purely about how much total weight you need to have as steel tanks are generally more efficient in that they can hold more air for a given external volume of a tank, which is what drives buoyancy. Low pressure steel tanks are generally heavier than aluminum which means the aluminum tank diver will need more lead, but overall the total weight (Tank + lead) will be identical if the tanks have the same external dimensions and contain the same amount of air. Steel's advantage is that it can hold the same amount of air as an aluminum tank, but in a smaller package with similar weight (more efficient), making it displace less water (less buoyant) which means that it will sink like lead so you don't need as much additional weight.

Air is a constant (ignoring minor density changes due to temperature) and at 60F is .07786 lbs/cuft. 80 cubic feet weighs 6.2 lbs and in doesn't matter if it is in a steel tank, aluminum tank or a giant plastic bag. As the air leaves the tank it becomes lighter at the same rate for either tank (or plastic bag) and the change from full to empty is identical.

The absolute best way to determine how much weight you NEED is to make adjustments with an empty tank. If you can just barely descend with an empty tank, your weighting is perfect.

What I bolded in your reply is basically what I'm getting at. You don't need to add on an extra 5 pounds if using a steel tank to compensate for the air, because if you're using a steel tank, you're using less weight anyway. Sure, if we want to get completely anal about it, you actuall still add on an extra 5 pounds to account for the lost air but then you're subtracting at least 5 pounds if using a steel tank because it's about that much more negatively buoyant so they cancel each other out. I won't say the distinction doesn't matter, but in this instance, it isn't a concern.

You are correct that doing weight checks and adjustments with an empty tank is the best way to go. As Rhlee said, ultimately it doesn't really matter as long as you can maintain a safety stop and control your buoyancy.

One of the advantages of a beach dive is that you can do things at your own pace. I definitely found my first boat dives in California to be a little hectic compared to the resort diving I had done elsewhere. Especially when dealing with new gear or when getting accustomed to a new environment, both having to assemble gear in the confined space of the boat deck and feeling a bit of pressure to hit the water in timely manner can be added stressors.

This is true, time is a factor as far as boat diving goes, but if the only thing changing is the temperature and conditions of the water then I would say it depends. If the diver is already used to doing boat dives, even in tropical conditions, then that diver is used to being on a time table and getting their gear set up in a confined space in a limited amount of time. However, yes it will add a stressor, although I'm not entirely convinced it would make that much of a difference.

In addition, if you're being really conscientious about dialing in your buoyancy, you might make several trips in and out of the water as you add or remove lead. This is something of a painful exercise either on the boat or at the beach. But at the beach, you won't be worried about holding up the show; in my opinion, you're more likely to take the time to get it right. Moreover, on a beach dive you'll be fooling around with gear in waist-deep water. That's far more forgiving than jumping in and sitting on top of, say, Ballbuster.

On a beach, you have to swim back to shore and put on that weight then swim back out every time you do that. On a boat, unless the crew sucks, they'll be more than willing to hand you extra weight if you need it. Honestly, these weighting changes should take a max of 5-10 minutes and would obviously only shave that time off one dive. Hardly what I'd call a problem for boat diving.

Also, you're assuming that fooling around with gear in waist-deep water on a beach dive is safe. I can assure you if there's any appreciable amount of surf it's anything but forgiving. Granted, Breakwater usually does not have a lot of surf so that may or may not be a factor for a beach dive, but even that site I've seen with 6+ foot surf. I don't think someone fooling around in the surf zone with gear issues would be a pretty sight.

A beach dive is probably also going to offer a less aggressive dive profile. Adopting a forgiving profile is probably your best bet in any new environment, and going from warm water to cold water no doubt makes this doubly true. Among other things, the buoyancy swing with depth in a 7mm wetsuit is profoundly more substantial than in a 3mm. So a new Monterey diver might be better served by making the slow, mellow ascent afforded by just swimming on in at most shore sites, rather than attempting a direct ascent in blue water at some boat site.

Agreed.

As for "surf on top of everything," well I'd recommend that a new diver not dive if there's surf. Simple.

All that said, the OP is likely to have great dive on the Cypress Sea. As others have said, it's a nice boat with a good crew. But since you asked, these are just a few reasons why some folks (me included) argue that a shore dive might be the preferable way to get acquainted with California diving.

Fair enough, but then most people who go somewhere to dive who had to travel to get there are not going to be as likely to call the dive even if they should.

I'm not saying you're wrong as far as a shore dive being preferable, although I do have my disagreements on some of what was said, but at the end of the day as long as the diver dives within his/her limits it really doesn't matter if it's a shore dive or a boat dive. I'm sure the OP will have a great time on the Cypress; that's an awesome dive boat.

Nope, it's exactly accurate, for the reasons rhlee gave.

Not really, but I can agree to disagree since it's not like I (or anyone else) should expect someone to rush out and change their weighting because they read what someone said on an internet forum that may or may not be true.

/me Tempts the waters

A rough rule of thumb for the lead... 10% of your body weight + 10 lbs.

if you weigh 160 try around 26 lbs. Thats generally a good starting point, but if you are made up of more fatty tissue than muscle you may find you need more, and the opposite also stands true. If you can get into the water before the boat dive thats your best chance.

Also, if you find your the last two to go down keep an eye on when the first divers descended. In general 45-55 minutes from then is when you should be back at the surface.

/me Tempts the waters

A rough rule of thumb for the lead... 10% of your body weight + 10 lbs.

if you weigh 160 try around 26 lbs. Thats generally a good starting point, but if you are made up of more fatty tissue than muscle you may find you need more, and the opposite also stands true. If you can get into the water before the boat dive thats your best chance.

Also, if you find your the last two to go down keep an eye on when the first divers descended. In general 45-55 minutes from then is when you should be back at the surface.

Sounds about right. Hmm, good point about the composition of the person's weight; that would definitely make a difference for buoyancy. I hadn't mentioned the time thing though because I'm assuming if someone is used to warm water, for their first cold water dives in California, they'll probably get cold quicker than other divers so the time thing wouldn't be an issue. Definitely a good idea though if the water temp ends up not being an issue.

Hi emttim,

In reading your replies, I'm still having a bit of a hard time understanding exactly what you're trying to say. Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm not sure exactly at what point you're beginning the analysis and what assumptions you're making.

To clarify, the only thing I was pointing out was that you do not need to add 5 pounds to your lead to offset lost air at the end of a dive with a steel tank.

I think the point being made by everyone here is, if you are neutrally weighted with full tanks (doesn't matter whether they're steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, thermoplastic, etc.), then in order to be able to hold a 10-15ft safety stop at the end of the dive, you must then add 5lb to your total weighting to account for the air consumed during the dive. That's all, nothing about steel, nothing about aluminum, just proper weighting of the entire rig and how it's affected by the air expelled. The whole steel/aluminum thing was a red herring unintentionally introduced into the conversation.

I absolutely agree that the important thing is to be able to hold a stop at the end of the dive. If we really want to get technical, it doesn't even matter if a diver is "overweighted" or "underweighted" since it's good enough if they can do that at the end of a dive.

If what you're saying is it doesn't matter if you are properly weighted so long as you can stay down somehow (e.g., by holding onto a line), I'm sure a few people would disagree. What rhlee is saying is that the important thing (in this limited regard of weighting) is to be weighted in a fashion that makes you neutrally buoyant 1) when you are at 15ft depth, 2) with no gas in your wing and 3) with a nearly empty tank. This is what ensures you will be able to hold a safety stop in most any situation.

however, a steel tank weighs more so you don't need as much lead in your BCD or weight belt as a result thereof.

I'm sure you don't need this pointed out, but since some of us seem to be talking past each other and misunderstanding what each other are saying, I believe you mean that a steel tank is typically less buoyant,not that it weighs more, right?

My statement still stands for the extra 5 pounds if using an aluminum tank...go look it up in the PADI books. If you hate PADI for X reason, go look it up in SSI, NAUI, etc....I'm sure it says something similar. *shrugs*

Again, I think part of the confusion is that is seems you thought this "5 pound" issue is in regards to the buoyancy difference between steel and aluminum tanks (am I correct here?) whereas, rather, it was about the buoyancy swing resulting from an ~80cuft capacity tank going from full to empty by the end of the dive. Rest assured, none of us are arguing against the notion that, all things being equal, an AL80 needs roughly 4-5lb more ballast than an LP85 to achieve proper weighting!

Cheers.

Hi emttim,

In reading your replies, I'm still having a bit of a hard time understanding exactly what you're trying to say. Sorry if I'm being dense here, but I'm not sure exactly at what point you're beginning the analysis and what assumptions you're making.

I think the point being made by everyone here is, if you are neutrally weighted with full tanks (doesn't matter whether they're steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, titanium, thermoplastic, etc.), then in order to be able to hold a 10-15ft safety stop at the end of the dive, you must then add 5lb to your total weighting to account for the air consumed during the dive. That's all, nothing about steel, nothing about aluminum, just proper weighting of the entire rig and how it's affected by the air expelled. The whole steel/aluminum thing was a red herring unintentionally introduced into the conversation.

Naw, not being dense at all, miscommunication happens all the time...nobody's perfect and I sure as hell never expect to be. :D

I think the point being made got a little mixed up of whether it was necessary to add 5pounds due to air loss at the end of a dive as opposed to add 5 pounds if its an aluminum or steel tank. Yes, it doesn't matter what material the tank is made of, the diver has to add 5 pounds to their gear setup to compensate for that change.

I was just saying that the diver actually doesn't need to add 5 pounds if they're using a steel tank because the steel tank is less buoyant (not more heavy, thanks for that catch, that's definitely wrong) so the loss of buoyancy cancels out the need to add more weight due to the air change.

If what you're saying is it doesn't matter if you are properly weighted so long as you can stay down somehow (e.g., by holding onto a line), I'm sure a few people would disagree. What rhlee is saying is that the important thing (in this limited regard of weighting) is to be weighted in a fashion that makes you neutrally buoyant 1) when you are at 15ft depth, 2) with no gas in your wing and 3) with a nearly empty tank. This is what ensures you will be able to hold a safety stop in most any situation.

Naw I didn't mean that, I meant that it doesn't matter if your weighting is exact so long as you can safely (and properly) execute a safety stop at the end of a dive and can maintain buoyancy during the dive. What I mean by a safe and proper safety stop is that the diver can hover in a water column at 15 feet (or whatever depth prescribed if its an altitude dive) without holding on to a line or anything else. I don't use a wing, but as far as using a BCD goes, I don't think whether there is air in the BCD or not matters as long as the diver can safely maintain neutral buoyancy as described above.

I'm sure you don't need this pointed out, but since some of us seem to be talking past each other and misunderstanding what each other are saying, I believe you mean that a steel tank is typically less buoyant,not that it weighs more, right?p

You are exactly right, sorry. :) that was definitely a typo, if steel tanks weighed more than aluminum tanks I probably wouldn't be using them...one of the things I love about HP steel tanks is they weigh less so it makes it easier to carry them around. Well, and being smaller in size helps too as far as carrying 'em goes.

Again, I think part of the confusion is that is seems you thought this "5 pound" issue is in regards to the buoyancy difference between steel and aluminum tanks (am I correct here?) whereas, rather, it was about the buoyancy swing resulting from an ~80cuft capacity tank going from full to empty by the end of the dive. Rest assured, none of us are arguing against the notion that, all things being equal, an AL80 needs roughly 4-5lb more ballast than an LP85 to achieve proper weighting!

Eh, things get misinterpreted, it happens. It really is mainly about the buoyancy difference, but to be sure, the tank a diver is using does make a difference when accounting for buoyancy. I think the confusion did result from why someone should or shouldn't add 5 pounds to their profile though because I was coming from the viewpoint of steel tanks being less buoyant whereas everyone else was coming from the viewpoint of air loss at the end of the dive affecting buoyancy.

This is what happens when I talk before I get my cup of coffee...everything gets a bit hazy and erroneous statements like steel tanks weighing more happens. :p

Back
Top Bottom