First time diving Monterey - Cypress on 3/22

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sladerer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All,
I'll be diving Monterey for the first time this Sunday. Diving on the Cypress Sea for a
2 tank dive Sunday AM with my wife and 2 others. Both dives are scheduled to be in Monterey Bay. One of the other divers has a good bit of experince diving out there.
So my questions are:
1) Anything other than "standard gear" (rubber, bc, etc) that you would recommend bringing?

2) Are there specific sites in the bay you'd recommend if the boat captain asks us for
our input?

3) While everything will be "new" to us, anything "special" we should look out for
sealife wise?

4) This is the first cold water diving for my wife and I. We'll have 7mm, my wife will have a 1mm skin under that, and the boat has hot water hoses. Any other advice on
how to stay (reasonably) warm?

5) Anyone else out there planning a boat dive Sunday that might join us?

6) I've seen a number of beach dive recommendations, but what is the one "beginner"
beach dive you'd recommend for Sunday afternoon?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Welcome to Monterey diving! If you keep your mind open (cold, green water, 20-30ft viz) you'll really like the structure and lift we have out here.

If this is your first cold-water dive, I'd highly suggest making sure your weighting is properly determined before jumping off a boat. 7mm is fine, a lot of people who tend to get cold easily (myself included) would go with a farmer john or add a hooded vest to the mix. Of course, that generally means you need a lot more weight. As Peter mentioned, having someone experienced give you a weighting check and basic cold water diving advice on Saturday can greatly increase your enjoyment on Sunday.

Enjoy Monterey diving! It really is amazing.

Since this is your first cold water dive and Monterey boat dive, take things slow. Diving from California boats is different from the tropics. They'll drop anchor and you're on your own. So make sure everyone is in sync with dive plans, separation protocols, hand signals, etc.

Given the many firsts, don't get aggressive with the dive plan. Enjoy the reef that the boat anchors on and do simple straight reciprocal headings. While you may tempted to cover a lot of distance, don't worry about that. A big draw of Monterey diving is the rich macro life. Take a look at the rocks and crevices, a lot of amazing creatures being camouflaged. Many of dive reports in the NorCal section have some great pictures of the life you'll see.

Regarding equipment, make sure you a dive bag of some sort to carry all your gear to and from the boat. Making multiple trips is time consuming and you might forget a piece of your kit. The boat only offers a tank (unless you bring your own), so even weights are your own responsibility. Even though you're in the bay, having an SMB and whistle is a good idea.

To stay warm, use the hot water hose (but be very very careful, it's extremely hot). During the SI, take off the tops of your wetsuits, and dryoff. Wrap yourself in a comfy towel and parka and enjoy some cup-o-ramen from Cypress Sea's pantry. Stay out of the wind.

For beginner site in the afternoon, the easiest will be Breakwater. Very close to the harbor and good facilities (including outdoor showers).

I've only dove the Cypress Sea once and i really enjoyed it. Inside the cabin is a TV screen that gives a topographical view of what's under you. Take a bit of time to look at it before you jump in. Don't worry about bringing your own tank. The crew loads their tanks up nicely.

Listen to the crew's briefing. I was really surprised about how detailed they were.

One thing I noticed from a warm weather diver is be prepared for the added inertia from the extra neoprene and weight. The guy I dove with wasn't and when he hit the water he winded himself trying to get to the anchor line (we ended up calling that dive before I even got in the water).

I'm seriously considering doing that charter so maybe I'll see ya there.

Bring a boat coat to keep you warm in the surface interval. This is EXTREMELY important when coldwater diving. Also advise bringing a hat and some gloves, possibly some handwarmers for in your coat pockets. Nothing worse than being cold.

As for what to look for - one of the beauties of our diving is the 'small stuff'. Go slow. You might see something that grabs your attention, so look at it - but also look around it. I am constantly amazed when I find a dori and am happily snapping away, only to see another kind of nudi, only much smaller, right by it. Or I see something in my photos afterwards. Trick is to take you time, check out crevices, look on the kelp, etc. Be mindful of the marine life though. Don't touch nudibranchs. :D

ENJOY!

Been out to the Pinnacles several times. March diving can be rough. Pinnacles are 6 - 8' exposed in the trough and completely gone in the swell. If you are so inclined you have 3 choices, Dramamine, know where your accupressure (wrist) point is or feed the fish. If you choose option 3 make sure you chew your food well the day before as the big chunks can get hung up in your exhaust valve.

Been out to the Pinnacles several times. March diving can be rough. Pinnacles are 6 - 8' exposed in the trough and completely gone in the swell. If you are so inclined you have 3 choices, Dramamine, know where your accupressure (wrist) point is or feed the fish. If you choose option 3 make sure you chew your food well the day before as the big chunks can get hung up in your exhaust valve.

I want to back up this statement as I fell into that category. I got seasick really bad on the Sanctuary but I didn't take anything, I still dove but I offered food to Neptunes fishes. I thought I'd be prepared for my second boat trip.

The following week I dove the Escapade but instead of using Bonine I tried the accupuncture wrist bands. I almost made into the water and then again Neptune made me offer food to his fish. (Although not as bad as not having anything, I seriously think the Bonine would have saved me.)

Try what you think works best for you, safe diving...

MG

p.s
I don't get sick on Zodiaks, go figure. Later that day I dove Anchor 4 on a Zodiak and felt great all the way out and back in. I think it's the diseal fuel and the rocking of the boat that get me, the side to side motion.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom