First Time Diving in a Drysuit Today!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

liuk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Huge thanks to Ken and Claudette for diving with me for my first time in my brand new drysuit. It was definitely challenging controlling my buoyancy on my first dive which initially shook my confidence with the drysuit. On the second dive, it all seemed to finally come together. I finally felt like I figured out how to control the bubble. Visability at Vet's sucked big time diving in yellow cloudy water, but I had such a great time with Ken and Claudette learning how to use my new suit and practicing holding stops at varying shallow depths. When Ken told me it was low 50's temperature at depth, I couldn't believe it. I was completely toasty with max depths at 70 ft and 102 ft. . Many thanks also to Andy Huber at Ocean Adventures for doing such a great job measuring and ordering me the custom suit. What a great day! Ken and Claudette, thank you so much for your support in helping me.

Ken... congratulations! Glad your experience with the dry suit was a lot warmer (and drier) than mine.

Good job! How lucky you were to have such great teachers as well.
I hope to try my new suit next weekend.

Glad you had a great experience... a lot of people don't.
The first time my girlfriend used a drysuit I brought the video camera along. I have 5 seconds of footage of her upside down in 6' of water with her arms crossed looking very ticked off. All 3 of us gave her the thumbs up...which didn't help matters.:wink:

Stay dry, stay safe

Huge thanks to Ken and Claudette for diving with me for my first time in my brand new drysuit. It was definitely challenging controlling my buoyancy on my first dive which initially shook my confidence with the drysuit.

Kinda humbling, aint it? Just when you think you have your crap together as far as trim and buoyancy, you try a drysuit and feel like a noob all over again. I've never felt so frustrated in all my life....LOL. Glad you worked it out and had a good time.

Yeah, I feel pretty lucky to have such great buddies like Ken and Claudette who are always so supportive and willing to take time out to show me the ropes. I gotta tell you that it definitely was unnerving on that first dive with the suit. You dump a bunch of money on a piece of equipment that you feel has more control of you than you do of it. LOL!

It's also kinda scary that your control depends on this little valve on your shoulder which somehow magically vents when you put it into position. I had to keep on looking at it in order to make sure (skeptically) that it was actually working. It's pretty amazing that little automatic valve vents when you need it to, yet doesn't let all the water in. Dunno how it works, but I'm glad that it does.

When I walked into the knee high water at the beach, it was pretty funny not feeling my feet get wet compared to a wetsuit. There were a whole bunch of new sensations such as the the squeeze and bubble on my body which I had never experienced before. One of the biggest change in sensation was the amount of extra effort needed to get through the water versus the wetsuit. I guess it is something you drysuit divers get used to, but I gotta tell you that I felt like I was swimming through molasses. Now I understand why Ken and Claudette end up whizzing through the water when they go to their wetsuit. You are just much more streamlined with a wetsuit versus the drysuit.

Finally, I got comfortable with the suit and am certainly impressed with how much warmer I am, especially since it seems that recently the water temp has gotten colder here in socal. I'm sure a part of the comfort I feel with the suit is also due to its great fit on me. If you are looking for someone to meaure you for a custom drysuit, I would highly recommend Andy Huber at Ocean Adventures. I know that I was nervous in the past weeks waiting for the suit to come in. I kept on worrying that things were going to be screwed up especially since I had heard horrors of ordering a DUI cave cut suit and the warranty waiver you sign. In the end, my worries were allayed once I tried on the new suit, and Andy Huber did a great job in measuring and optioning it for me.

Ken... congratulations! Glad your experience with the dry suit was a lot warmer (and drier) than mine.

Yeah, Dr. Bill, I think a key part of the drysuit is the keeping dry part.:rofl3:

I had a "wet" drysuit experience...not so fun. Haha

Glad you sorted it out.

I'm taking my first dry dives next week. I've been dreading flopping around in it. But I'll have a great teacher (Ann Marie) to keep me from getting too frustrated.

Ken,

I'm the old man on the bicycle that stopped to chat with you guys while you were suiting up. I didn't know you were a newbie drysuit diver. Too bad conditions weren't better for your first dives.

Congrats! Being cold is highly over rated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom