First time diving Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah i think i will still give tips. Always have and always will, unless I truly have a horrible experience. Maybe my tips will somehow help the locals and local businesses.

As far as dive guides. Would i need to hire my own dive guide? I know each dive there is a DM assigned but would it make a difference hiring your own guide?
I read on this forum that most dives end in 50-60 minutes or probably less depending who is diving with you. Would hiring a private guide allow us to have longer bottom time compared to a DM whos watching over a group of random divers?

Depends on whether you are shore diving or boat diving along with all the usual caveats that come with extended dives anywhere else.

Would hiring a private guide allow us to have longer bottom time compared to a DM whos watching over a group of random divers?
That depends on your diving capabilities, but in general the answer is yes.

During my last trip to Indonesia in April/May this year all of my dives were over 60 mins, even from the boat.

Would hiring a private guide allow us to have longer bottom time compared to a DM whos watching over a group of random divers?
If you're staying at a dive resort and doing shore diving, a private guide may be assigned to you. I did mostly shore diving on my Bali "dive safari." If you instead choose to stay in a guesthouse or hotel, you should be able to hire an independent guide and rent tanks somewhere (I haven't tried that). It's not like in the West; things are relatively inexpensive in Indonesia, even in Bali, and you get unbelievable personal service. At times it feels like nothing is impossible--like there's nothing you might want to do or see that can't somehow be arranged for the right price. I'm a budget traveler, and I still felt like I had enough resources to do just about everything I wanted. (Liveaboards and really fancy dive resorts are a different $tory.) The guide will ask what kinds of things you want to see, and choose sites/times accordingly. You're the boss, and the guide will let you dive to the limits of your training/experience, within reason. As others have said, boat diving is different--likely the typical arrangement of a single DM for the group. But I'm sure you could hire a private DM/guide for boat diving, too.

I would recommend Adventure Divers Bali in Amed for a few reasons. David and Liselotte run a great team with a great culture and the communications with them will be great. They can also help sort transfers, which are the good places to eat etc.

When CODVID hit, they kept on their people, did a big charity drive to get food etc for the wider/older/venerable population in Amed. So have no doubt any tips will be shared across the team

I will be with them in November with my son all being well

So got my dives booked with Absolute scuba. I think i made the right choice.
Here is the dive itinerary we have come up with, total of 9 dives.
Had them set a 3 dive day for macro. Definitely picked jetty as one of the sites, any suggestion what other dive site would be good for macro?

Attachments

• 3BFCEED0-3FEF-48DB-97B0-19AEBE51DE7E.jpeg
    3BFCEED0-3FEF-48DB-97B0-19AEBE51DE7E.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 71
Had them set a 3 dive day for macro. Definitely picked jetty as one of the sites, any suggestion what other dive site would be good for macro?
Your guide will know which sites are hot. Things change all the time. Because one site was full of life a few months ago has no bearing on what is happening now. Trust your guide as they want nothing more than to show you great dives.

Temp in Oct should be quite cold(20C) in Crystal Bay/Manta Point. It is a long day trip for 3 dives so better well prepared.
Depend on your gas consumption, Nitrox could be useful.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Temp in Oct should be quite cold(20C) in Crystal Bay/Manta Point. It is a long day trip for 3 dives so better well prepared.
Depend on your gas consumption, Nitrox could be useful.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

Yeah water temps I was told could be down to 16c and I will be there from 13 September to 04 October. Diving first in Tulumben Amed.
For 3 days of our first 5 days my group have arranged to just rent tanks and do our own dives but will use guides on the first two dives
Then down to Lombok for 5 days of fast current diving where perhaps only 2 dives a day but I am hoping for three. Depends on hold cold people like getting and if they struggle in the currents. After that Lebongan for 5 days if diving 3 - 4 dives a day. Night dives may or may not be possible. Will not be tipping US$10 a tank but we as a group will tip our guides and tank carriers.

Our last two days staying at the Novatel unwinding and doing some relaxing away from the legian kuta areas which we can scoot in for a visit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom