First time diving Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just did 3 days with Geko doing their mola mola adventure package plus a few macro dives. Really professional op and great service. Unfortunately no luck with the mola the water is still too warm! Crystal Bay was 24 degree with thermocline down to 23. In 6 dives trying to find the mola our group only saw 1 far off in the distance (which I missed as was distracted by a mantis shrimp). They said once water goes down to 20-21 it’s much higher chance to see, and this year is late so you may well have luck in Oct still. Seems mola season changes every year…

Jetty is still open for day dives, but cannot do night dive. It’s pretty good, lots of nudis, but I didn’t see many frogfish which is what it’s know for (only 1 giant one). The other two I did is Jepun and Bloo Lagoon Wall, the latter being a really really good night dive. In general I think not quite on par w Lembeh but good enough that you won’t be bored or be disappointed.

I highly recommend Bloo Lagoon btw, super pretty resort, huge villas, yoga pavilion, great spa w amazing and cheap massages. And wifi router directly in your room! It’s a short 5min drive to Geko and they have a shuttle on demand to go anywhere you want.

So got my dives booked with Absolute scuba. I think i made the right choice.
Here is the dive itinerary we have come up with, total of 9 dives.
Had them set a 3 dive day for macro. Definitely picked jetty as one of the sites, any suggestion what other dive site would be good for macro?
Good choice for location. Padangbai is the most logistical place for going diving in Nusa Penida & Tulamben.

The plan looks good. I would suggest to ask the guide if you could swap Minpang with Biaha with extra cost if necessary as Biaha is a bit north (2 nautical miles) from Topekong. Don’t miss the swim through section in Topekong.

Check out Yan’s dive briefing of Biaha, below. I was there twice in 20 July on my way to Komodo & on 5 August, on the return trip from Komodo. It’s a short cave with a chimney opening to the top of the island that would shoot up a water out like geyser during a rough sea day. In the cave there are often some Whitetip sharks sleeping as they are nocturnal.

Enjoy diving in Bali!

I just did 3 days with Geko doing their mola mola adventure package plus a few macro dives. Really professional op and great service. Unfortunately no luck with the mola the water is still too warm! Crystal Bay was 24 degree with thermocline down to 23. In 6 dives trying to find the mola our group only saw 1 far off in the distance (which I missed as was distracted by a mantis shrimp). They said once water goes down to 20-21 it’s much higher chance to see, and this year is late so you may well have luck in Oct still. Seems mola season changes every year…

Jetty is still open for day dives, but cannot do night dive. It’s pretty good, lots of nudis, but I didn’t see many frogfish which is what it’s know for (only 1 giant one). The other two I did is Jepun and Bloo Lagoon Wall, the latter being a really really good night dive. In general I think not quite on par w Lembeh but good enough that you won’t be bored or be disappointed.

I highly recommend Bloo Lagoon btw, super pretty resort, huge villas, yoga pavilion, great spa w amazing and cheap massages. And wifi router directly in your room! It’s a short 5min drive to Geko and they have a shuttle on demand to go anywhere you want.
I was unlucky like you too in searching for Mola Mola in Crystal Bay on 20 July & 18 August. As you mentioned the water was too warm for them.

I was with Geko too on 12 July, diving in Padangbai with Kanox.

FE67B133-8C09-4FDF-BB56-88B6B7BA6F07.jpeg

Had a chance to chat a bit with Cedric before he took his kids to Lombok.

D15BD0E6-D618-4C98-9F7A-86BADE9D7287.jpeg

September-October would be better to see the Mola Mola this year I think. The last time I saw them was in 20 September 2019. I saw 4 of them in Blue Corner at 40m depth, as Crystal Bay was invaded by Great White Shark at the time, as shown, below:

That’s great that you enjoyed it so much ! The macro around PB is brilliant and that around Tulamben even better. Am so so pleased that the Jetty is open. Does Blue Lagoon have a restuarant ?

Dan thanks for your posts.

I will be there from 13th Sept to 04 October so hope to see at least one Mola Mola when I am there. Dive centers have been posting this week their video's of them so they are there.

Dan thanks for your posts.

I will be there from 13th Sept to 04 October so hope to see at least one Mola Mola when I am there. Dive centers have been posting this week their video's of them so they are there.
My guide from Aquacat Bali, home - Dive Bali also saw 1 in mid August during full moon. It was deep (~ 40m). It was first time for his guest to see one. The guest won’t come up and went into deco. Luckily my guide had enough air to clear the deco obligation.

If you see one at depth remember your NDL. Don’t risk your life and your guide well being for it. You can always come back for another day, week, month, next year to see them again.

I’ve seen them many times for the last 12 years. The best time to see them are during 3 days before to 3 days after full moon or new moon from July to October and of course the temperature need to be in the right range of 19-22C. I missed those best time windows in July & August this year as the trips were part of my bigger trips and Bali is the stepping stone before heading to other Indonesian destinations (Komodo in July & Sangalaki in August).

When the time window and water temperature range were right, I saw 9 of them back in August 2014. I was lucky in September 2019 to see 4 of them for one day after returning from Banda Sea.

I saw them in the months of January and February on my last trip to Bali before covid. The water was unusually cold so we were very lucky.

Sorry I have not read the full thread as I’m tired but I dived off a place called Sanur I think with a company called Joes Gone Diving. They were fun and safe and took us to Manta bay in june and I saw over 30 Manta. Was told it was a bit early for mola … although I saw two of them un Galapagos recently 🤗

From the dive operator in Lombok last night

[10:04 PM, 9/1/2022] +62 877-5021-5327: Still bouncing between 24 and 26°, but the mola mola site was 16!
[10:05 PM, 9/1/2022] +62 877-5021-5327: We're always hoping for less than 24° for hammerheads, but the others are usually 24-26

That’s great that you enjoyed it so much ! The macro around PB is brilliant and that around Tulamben even better. Am so so pleased that the Jetty is open. Does Blue Lagoon have a restuarant ?
Yes it does! Food is just ok not amazingly wow but not too bad either. Lots of Western options, I found it a bit lacking in really traditional Indo options. But it's very scenic overlooking the bay with a great ambiance.

Back
Top Bottom