First time diving Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surf the internet for more information on everything. It is far more easier than 20 yrs ago.
I like to read all those negative reviews eg. tripadvisor and pay particular attention to the reply by the operator.

Surf the internet for more information on everything. It is far more easier than 20 yrs ago.
I like to read all those negative reviews eg. tripadvisor and pay particular attention to the reply by the operator.
So umm "funny" story, I've been working for this dive shop with perfect five star reviews everywhere, all real reviews, many many many of them. The place is actually so horrifyingly bad with very questionable standards. But the customers don't know, the staff is all amazing and tries their best to keep everything together with duct tape and give the customers safe experiences. Everyone on the team tries very hard, but only so much can be done to fix the problems without support from the business owner. That's why I'm fleeing. This place has put me off from working in the dive industry quite a bit. Another unethical, dishonest business owner tricking his customers and squeezing his staff dry.
I used to think it's very convenient nowadays to rely on online reviews too. Now I work here and can't fathom how the reviews could be talking about the same dive shop.

D517396F-07DE-473A-8C1A-DC7CBDF148C7.gif

Despite advertising "unlimited diving," Matahari limits your dives to 4-5 dives of 50-60 mins a day. And I had to carry my own tanks through the bushy area and the rocky beach. My guide wasn't too motivated to show me anything, I was mostly on my own. Not a great experience overall. Do not recommend it. Next time I'll just rent tanks, unless someone can refer me to an excellent private guide.

I highly recommend the "just rent tanks" option, if you have the appropriate training and awareness for diving solo. You won't be limited by dive times, and your self motivation will make the dive a little more exciting.

I'm pretty sure you can arrange the tanks to be delivered directly to the Tulamben site, and if carrying tanks around is an issue there are plenty of porters around to give a hand.

I highly recommend the "just rent tanks" option, if you have the appropriate training and awareness for diving solo. You won't be limited by dive times, and your self motivation will make the dive a little more exciting.

I'm pretty sure you can arrange the tanks to be delivered directly to the Tulamben site, and if carrying tanks around is an issue there are plenty of porters around to give a hand.

Matahari rent tanks to divers. Don't need to use a guide always

Matahari rent tanks to divers. Don't need to use a guide always

Cheers for that! 👌🏼

Do you know how much they charge per tank?

Did they have any pony tanks there?

The place I used to rent from charged 30,000rp a tank, air or nitrox. I think smaller tank or pony was cheaper. And I use to hire weights and spare reg., they have a lot of gear there for hire I'm pretty sure a lot of dive shops in Bali hire tanks from there. I think it's in Kubu?

Cheers for that! 👌🏼

Do you know how much they charge per tank?

Did they have any pony tanks there?

The place I used to rent from charged 30,000rp a tank, air or nitrox. I think smaller tank or pony was cheaper. And I use to hire weights and spare reg., they have a lot of gear there for hire I'm pretty sure a lot of dive shops in Bali hire tanks from there. I think it's in Kubu?
Be aware that you violate the law when you dive solo. Nobody will check, until something bad happens. Wonder if any insurance company would happily pay out. It costs more than 60.000 in energy, compressor maintenance, filter and labor to fill a Nitrox tank.

Solo diving is illegal, because there is a requirement to have a local guide.

If you want a bespoke service for as many dives as you want and tank carrying etc, reach out to @ScubaWithTurk he will be able to hook you up. Full disclosure, it's my dive centre but we really do make an effort to avoid the issues you were describing.

Just back from bali, diving with a guide is not required and solo diving was also no problem.
So if they say it is required by law, they must start acting in the traffic as is written in the law. No helmets on motorbikes, no belts in a car, overtaking everywhere, ignoring red traffic lights. And they they want you to follow the 'dive law'? That is completely ********.
We also have done dives with a guide and that was in our case the guide stayed with my friend as he was not that experienced on arrival, only 32 dives. I just followed them a little bit, most times went deeper, took some deco (over ndl), if my friend had drained his tank, I went on solo.
If my friend had problems with his ears, he went out alone if we dove with a guide and the guide stayed with me to search for small macro critters. 1 time my friend went up solo from 26m, no problems. My friend did 1 dive solo as he had problems with his ears, went up and at 5m all was fine. We were somewere deeper down. (ok, his first solodive was dive 19, so he is used to solo diving from the start of his diving carreer).
I have done several solodives around tulamben, even the Liberty and the dropoff. They were so relaxed, no things like a checkdive, our first dive was with a guide on the LIberty. The only thing they looked at the first time was that you was able to gear up yourself. They even did not ask about a cert to me and my friend, but they know that I am an instructor in every technical diving part.
So Bali was very relaxed and I will try to come back there.

Back
Top Bottom