First time diver with g10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the late reply I been away from the computer. I decided to get the underwater case made by canon. I plan to shoot in RAW. Is that the best choice?

Shooting RAW will give you more flexibility in post processing, like adjusting exposure and color balance, assuming you have the tools to work with the files. Also, I would also highly recommend getting a strobe.

RAW is the preferred format for most photographers. The information available in a RAW shot lets you do all kinds of post processing with the image. I shoot RAW and use Photoshop CS3 to do all of my adjustments. Even if you don't have software to use RAW now, save the files for when you get something later on.

Raw is great.

If the camera can do Raw + Jpeg, even better. That way, if you like how the camera "developed" the file, you are done. If you don't like it, you can tweak the raw file. Memory card space is cheap. :)

Raw is great.

If the camera can do Raw + Jpeg, even better. That way, if you like how the camera "developed" the file, you are done. If you don't like it, you can tweak the raw file. Memory card space is cheap. :)

However waiting for the memory buffer to clear can lead to anxious moments. IMHO, I would shoot either RAW (preferred) or JPG, but not both. Especially on cameras that have fairly slow memory/buffer processing.

In my experience, shooting raw is always slower than jpeg, yes... but using raw+jpeg, if your camera can do it, adds negligible time on top of the raw file alone. I would definitely give it a try before ruling it out.

Shooting RAW will give you more flexibility in post processing, like adjusting exposure and color balance, assuming you have the tools to work with the files. Also, I would also highly recommend getting a strobe.

Thanks for the advice. I really don't plan on doing alot of underwater photography so I really dont want to spend alot of money on an expensive strobe. Where can I find a good strobe for a decent price?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom