First suit for beginner: stay wet or go dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My questions are: would you say that it's better to start learning diving with a wetsuit (I mean the thick 8mm ones) and when I will be really good at it, start learning with a drysuit? Isn't a drysuit more technical and maybe more dangerous to use for a beginner? Does it help to start with a wetsuit or not at all?
I'm surprised they didn't put you in a drysuit for your original certification class. Were I you, I'd get the drysuit for sure. I see no reason not to. Everyone up here does their OW class in a drysuit.

Good luck!
nd

BC is drysuit diving. I would be surprised if any dive schools there actually train students in wetsuits at all, but what do I know... We have much the same conditions. And the dive schools here who actually hold OWD classes with wetsuits doesn't really build a good reputation.

I can't understand the fuss about drysuit diving! I mean, it's not rocket science, is it?! Go dry right away, if that's the typical diving around where you live. No big deal...

As a Vancouver diver, here is what I have learned ...

Drysuits are not the big deal people seem to make them out to be. They are NOT tech diving. Being comfortable in the water, heat wise, will make you more comfortable overall, and allow you to enjoy your dives better .... Especially the second or third dive of the day in the winter months.

Many shops in greater Vancouver do teach in wetsuits, with the option to upgrade to dry.

Personally, I learned Dry and haven't regretted it at all. There is only one person I know that dives wet locally by choice. Everyone else has moved to drysuit diving as soon as they could afford the suit.

Go dry and you'll dive more often. That should tell you something. :D

Learning how to use a drysuit is quite easy. If you use some common sense and pace yourself, you should do fine.

You'll absolutely love the warmth compared to a wetsuit! :)

Dave C

Most LDS around here also offer to option to take Open Water in a drysuit.

Might as well go dry from the start.

Uh bub, I'm in southeastern Florida and I'm using a drysuit from now until next summer. When I see the Canadians debating wet versus dry, it really cracks me up.

Why punish yourself in a wetsuit? Drysuits are by far so much nicer. They do not overload you, as stated, know the possible problems and work on the skills.
The one thing that I found helpful was to forget the suit as a buoyancy device. That is why you have a BC. PADI will teach you to use the suit as a BC while at depth and the BC on the surface for flotation. I did not like how that worked, so now I use the BC exclusively for buoyancy control.
Long and short of it --- Go dry:D

Get a dry suit. It will challenge you at first (or at least, it did me, and I certified in a dry suit). But the increase in comfort is substantial, particularly if you intend to do more than one dive, or dive through the winter. The more you dive, the better you get, and the more you enjoy diving. You have world-class diving at your doorstep . . . get a dry suit, and enjoy it all winter!

Given the conditions and location a drysuit is the only sane decision. A wetsuit would be a complete waste of money.

Oh and ankle weights are nothing more than trim weights. If you need them, use them.

If at 0-24 dives you have the guts to say you're in this for a long haul then buy all means go dry. Take a good look at the investment first. Good undergarments can approach the the cost of an entry level drysuit, doubling that modest price tag.

Aside from the investment risk dry will be your local suit of choice.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom