First suit for beginner: stay wet or go dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You live in British Columbia and you're thinking of buying a wetsuit? Why? Go with a drysuit. I just made my first drysuit dive of the fall last week, and I live in Tampa Fl. I'll be diving dry until mid April. I can't imagine diving wet up there in the "Great White North". :palmtree: Bob

I could not agree more:diving in a drysuit is better around here. I dont discuss that. It's obvious. My question is about training and about learning safely.

BTW I have done my OW in a semidry and I am pretty slim (120lbs) and I have never been cold on a single dive.And no Nudediver, not all LDS teach their students in drysuits in Canada, at least not all in British Columbia. I know at least 3 who dont. For my advanced course, that I did with a different instructor ,they gave me a semi-dry as well. Drysuits cost more and not all divestores rent them where I am. At least thats how they explain it. Sure for repetitive dives I would not use a semi dry, but it is possible to dive in semi dry in BC and not have to worry about getting cold. At least in the suit I have been using. I love it.

But again, thats not what I wanted to discuss...i am asking about training and diving safe. So one more thank you for sharing your experiences as instructor or ex-beginner...

I could not agree more:diving in a drysuit is better around here. I dont discuss that. It's obvious. My question is about training and about learning safely.....BTW I have done my OW in a semidry .....and I have never been cold on a single dive.......Drysuits cost more and not all divestores rent them where I am. ........Sure for repetitive dives I would not use a semi dry, but it is possible to dive in semi dry in BC and not have to worry about getting cold. At least in the suit I have been using. ....But again, thats not what I wanted to discuss...i am asking about training and diving safe. So one more thank you for sharing your experiences as instructor or ex-beginner...
Well, you certainly are busy today! :wink: My main suit is a semidry. I can understand why you like it. However, where you are, go get the drysuit now. Get trained in your own drysuit. If you train now and dive in a drysuit, then that's one more skill you will have added to your skill set. Then if you have to go dive in a semidry or a wetsuit, so much the easier.

I would say that if you're thinking about diving long term, then go head and do the drysuit training ASAP. There are things about it that are different from wetsuit diving, though not really that much more challenging, but are things you need to be aware of. I think the earlier you learn, the better. Plus, once you dive in one you'll wonder why you though diving wet was so great. I can't imagine diving anywhere in that area (I'm in SE Alaska so it's pretty similar to BC) in the winter in a wetsuit... its seems that you'd be cold and miserable during any sort of surface interval.

My LDS teaches OW in drysuits, so that's what everyone here dives in.

Hi,

I am in Southern California and the water is cold too. When I started to experiment with dry suits I hated them. Thick neoprene feels claustrophobic and trilam feels like diving in a ziploc!

I found a really good company in Santa Barbara called Diving Concepts,check them out on the web.

they make a stretch-crushed neoprene with soft latex neck and wrist seals. Boots built-in, they feel just like dive booties.I had mine custom made, feels just like wearing a 5m wet suit. No air pockets anywhere, automatic air dump at the wrist etc...Super warm, no need for exaggerated undergarments ( I hate feeling like a blimp). I tried DUI as well but this one feels much better to me, I also did not like soft feet (comes off like old socks) or rock boots (like swimming with construction boots). The owner used to work for DUI for many years and later came up with his own enhanced version.

Everyone has different likes and dislikes of course, but I have high praises for this dry suit. Mine is a Pinnacle 200. I dive in 50o water and don't feel a thing, using thick polars (from any sport store) as undergarments.

I would recommend checking them out, it will set you back about $1800.00 but it is SOOO worth it.

Good luck!

Christine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom