First suit for beginner: stay wet or go dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kolopua

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone,

I am a total beginner and I have just completed my OW Padi course and the Advanced. I have only 20 dives behind me, and I dive in Canada, in British Columbia, where the water gets pretty cold, especially in the winter time. I have done all my dives so far in a wetsuit, and I am finally starting to be comfortable with it (and with its 8mm...). Now, I would like to buy my first suit. But I am not sure if I should buy a wetsuit or a dry suit. . (I will also take a drysuit course next month even if I dont buy a drysuit, just to learn the basics)

My questions are: would you say that it's better to start learning diving with a wetsuit (I mean the thick 8mm ones) and when I will be really good at it, start learning with a drysuit? Isn't a drysuit more technical and maybe more dangerous to use for a beginner? Does it help to start with a wetsuit or not at all?

I am sure everyone has his own preferences. I just would like to have a general opinion, advices from maybe some of you who are teaching diving.

Maybe it makes no difference at all...!

Thank you for all your comments and answers,

Kolopua

PS: the temperature, and how cold I might get with a wetsuit vs drysuit is not an issue right now since I am fine so far with the wetsuit I use.

Go straight to the drysuit. A Bare Next Gen won't set you back very much, but your diving is way more comfortable. Especially surface intervals.

I didn't even allow my partner to use thick wetsuits in cold water. It was straight to the drysuit. Its not that hard/different to dive.

PS: the temperature, and how cold I might get with a wetsuit vs drysuit is not an issue right now since I am fine so far with the wetsuit I use.
Quite frankly...until you dive a drysuit, you don't know how wrong your are.

I have mixed feeling's about it...

One, I think it would be great to buy and learn with the gear you are going to be using, So be it a wet suit or a dry suit..

That said I also feel a dry suit is going to add to your list of task's that you as a new diver are still learning, A dry suit does add some task loading as it changes the amount of weight (lead) you will use, Your buoyancy is going to change and that is something you as a new diver are still learning..And the dry suit is the same as having another BC/D to have to work with.

But you also might want to consider that you are taking the dry suit course and I think it would be good to learn using your own suit and that would give you an advantage if you are going to dive dry.

As you can tell I can't TELL you whats right or wrong for you, It is a decision that only you can make for yourself.

Me ...personally, If I were starting all over again AND I was sure I was going to go as far as I have and diving was going to be the addiction that it has become for me..Then yes I would buy the gear that I am going to be using in the years to come and learn with that gear from the start.

i agree with Jeff - go to the drysuit (just dont listen to him if he starts diss'ing ankle weights :lotsalove: )

i know some divers that did their OW course in a drysuit so as long as you are made aware of how to handle problems that can happen you should enjoy your diving alot more.

cheers and goodluck

i agree with Jeff - go to the drysuit (just dont listen to him if he starts diss'ing ankle weights :lotsalove: )
Ankle weights are not required. They are crutches.

Well...

There you go Jeff feels you should go straight into a dry suit...

I can't argue!

The truth is a stubborn thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom