First Stage: Keeping it Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@1000RR Well, I abuse my OW/Rec single setup... I tend to take good care of the sidemount tech/cave setup :)

Glad to hear you are enjoying the regs, and the mug.

Honestly I think it is a bit of overkill to try and pressurize the regs for just a rinse. Freshwater really isn't a huge problem. The risk of intrusion is extremely low, and even if it does get in it isn't a huge deal, just blow out and let dry.

For example... If I flood a reg with salt, then I actually remove the SPG, flood it with fresh intentionally, and blow it out with a bit of free flowing air through the reg to dry it.

@Zef brings up a good point, as the compressors we use to fill tanks are oil-less, and low pressure utility compressors are notoriously oily air. Your greater risk is probably continued use of the compressor instead of just putting the cap on and soaking it. Just don't hit the purge button, but if you do, don't fret to much, just blow some air through it from a tank to dry.

Honestly I think it is a bit of overkill to try and pressurize the regs for just a rinse. Freshwater really isn't a huge problem. The risk of intrusion is extremely low, and even if it does get in it isn't a huge deal, just blow out and let dry.

For example... If I flood a reg with salt, then I actually remove the SPG, flood it with fresh intentionally, and blow it out with a bit of free flowing air through the reg to dry it.

@Zef brings up a good point, as the compressors we use to fill tanks are oil-less, and low pressure utility compressors are notoriously oily air. Your greater risk is probably continued use of the compressor instead of just putting the cap on and soaking it. Just don't hit the purge button, but if you do, don't fret to much, just blow some air through it from a tank to dry.

Great information!! Simple (non-pressurized) soak it shall be then... easier too and the way it's done when traveling anyway.

@1000RR

I agree for a "rinse" but for a soak I prefer to be cautious and keep mine attached to a tank with the reg charged. Perhaps its an old habit that is hard to kick but I am using a couple of quite old MR22 1st stages and they have never had any issues at the shop when time for preventive maintenance....I would like to think that is because of how I take care of them. If my mentality is flawed that is ok as I know I am not wrong in the sense that I am jeopardizing the state of my gear by soaking it this way.

-Z

If my mentality is flawed that is ok as I know I am not wrong in the sense that I am jeopardizing the state of my gear by soaking it this way.

Soaking that way is perfectly fine, and does negate almost any chance of water intrusion. Totally fine to take the more cautious route.

Indeed my personal preference is a little more lenient than some. I wouldn't be overly worried of water making it all the way to the first stage if a little got in via a second. Especially since it would only be a drop or two, and it is a long way for such a small amount of fluid to travel, back up the hoses and into the first. Plus, with fresh water, once evaporated, there should be no residue. I honestly would soak my regs the same as I rinse, with it just capped, but afterwards maybe hook up to a tank and purge if I were worried about fluid. Probably a good practice if they were going to sit for a while as well.

Didn't mean to imply you were doing something wrong, you certainly aren't. Being more cautious is perhaps, obviously more cautious. :)

Back
Top Bottom