First Stage: Keeping it Dry?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm with most... just dry our caps w/a towel after last dive. My daughter's is an Aqualung so less worried about that one. Mine is Deep6. Once home, I attach them to my large air compressor (w/air dryer) and blow them out (2nd Stages) and soak them in a tub (w/air pressure on). I just use a Scuba Port Converter Block (pictured below - front/back) to attach the 1st stage to it and attach to my air compressor. Easier than attaching to an AL80 tank to soak the whole tank w/1st. I don't have a pony... that might be easier. The Air Compressor approach seems to work good.

20180906_131058.jpg

20180906_131108.jpg

(atm+ ft water1/33) - (atm+ftwater2/33) = ft water1/33 - ftwater2/33

compared to surface... at depth 1, there is a differential of (2 inches/12 inches per feet)

compared to surface ... at depth 2, there is a differential of (24 inches/12 inches per feet)

Ratio of the differential (24 inches/ 12 inches per feet) divided by (2 inches/12 inches per feet).

All the inches and inches per feet cancel out

You get 12 times the pressure differential !

I stand by my numbers. You are speaking of absolute pressure exerted on each cells in the body.

I am speaking of the pressure differential between the inside of the regulator (1 atm), and the water outside the regulator, submerged at 2 inches vs 24 inches.

The differential is what drives the fluid, from area of high pressure to area of low pressure.
As a minor point: you should be using 34 instead of 33, unless you are rinsing your reg in salt water.
As major points: why is the inside of the reg at 1 atm, and why are you rinsing the inside of the reg?

I am speaking of the pressure differential between the inside of the regulator (1 atm), and the water outside the regulator, submerged at 2 inches vs 24 inches.
If the pressure inside the reg is 1 atm, then the shallow pressure outside the reg is 1 atm plus 2 inches/12 inches per foot/34 feet per atm, or 1.005 atm. The deeper pressure outside the reg is 1+24/12/34=1.06 atm. So the deeper pressure gradient to the inside of the reg is 1.06/1.005=5.5% greater.

I'm with most... just dry our caps w/a towel after last dive. My daughter's is an Aqualung so less worried about that one. Mine is Deep6.

Why be more concerned?

Why be more concerned?
Hers has the valve that closes when not under pressure, mine does not. So if I missed some moisture I'd be less concerned w/hers (as far as it entering the innards). (note, I did not say "I was concerned" either way). I always dry good.

@1000RR Ah ok, you mean when you cap the first. I have never been overly concerned with mine. I mean, I purposefully abuse mine to test ours, so I treat it fairly poorly, but I have never noticed any effects on breakdown from a drop or so of water being in the cap on occasion.

@LandonL, I'm gun shy when it comes to all that... fear of the unknown. I like that you guys abuse the heck out of it to ensure the rest of us have no worries!! I'm drinking from my Deep6 coffee mug (always my favorite) as I sit and type this... you guys are awesome!

I'm with most... just dry our caps w/a towel after last dive. My daughter's is an Aqualung so less worried about that one. Mine is Deep6. Once home, I attach them to my large air compressor (w/air dryer) and blow them out (2nd Stages) and soak them in a tub (w/air pressure on). I just use a Scuba Port Converter Block (pictured below - front/back) to attach the 1st stage to it and attach to my air compressor. Easier than attaching to an AL80 tank to soak the whole tank w/1st. I don't have a pony... that might be easier. The Air Compressor approach seems to work good.

View attachment 478552

View attachment 478553

Interesting idea...is that a utility air compressor or the kind used for filling tanks? If it is the utility kind, are there any concerns with pollutants clogging up the sintered filter in the 1st stage? or oily residue mixing with the air passing into the 1st stage?

-Z

Interesting idea...is that a utility air compressor or the kind used for filling tanks? If it is the utility kind, are there any concerns with pollutants clogging up the sintered filter in the 1st stage? or oily residue mixing with the air passing into the 1st stage?

-Z
The compressor is a large upright (utility) on wheels. I've got an air dyer filter inline but have not been concerned at this point with anything clogging the 1st etc. Maybe I should?!? I've used the air compressor to paint in the past and have never noticed any oily residue contaminating what I'm spraying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom