First smokers, Next?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We could put meters on the couch and tax couch time. We could do the do the same with the computer.

You mean we'll be Scubaboard taxed too? Oh brother....:D

We could put meters on the couch and tax couch time. We could do the do the same with the computer.

Heck put the sensors directly on the people so you can tax them or even imprison them if they don't behave correctly.

Reminds me of the morning ritual in 1984 where everyone was required to exercize in front of their TVs. And were watched to make sure that they did it with entheuasm.

It all sounds easy enough but who makes sure that the government behaves. LOL

Why, Big Brother, of course. Who else can you trust? <sniff> I love Big Brother!

This needs to be an accountability issue, not a government control issue.

If a person gets drunk every night and destroys their liver thats their own business. If a guy gets drunk every night and harasses other people or puts their life at risk well, it's time for him to go.

When an activity impacts society, it is appropriate for controls to be sought. Of course the control should not be on alcohol per se, or even those who indulge in it in moderation. However, binge drinkers potentially pose a menace to society in the form of a safety hazard. It is the unsafe behavior of binge drinkers that should be the focus of any controls.

I live in a town where vehicles are not owned by many residents and visitors are not allowed to have them. This contributes to some pretty serious drinking since everyone pretty much walks home from the bars. The local sheriffs have started cracking down on public intoxication which makes sense. Of course I usually only drink club soda to hydrate for the next day's dives, but that didn't stop one sheriff 's deputy from stopping me on the street since I had a "drink" in my hand.

I admit to indulging on those rare occasions when I'm not diving. Of course those are rare occasions! Binge drinking is not an issue for me personally, although I can drink a full bottle of sake in a night and still edit my videos without significant impairment! I'd rather spend the $$$ on diving equipment than on booze any way, but if someone else is buying...

We wouldn't have the huge federal debt we have if government weren't involved in a multitude of things they have no business in.

When an activity impacts society, it is appropriate for controls to be sought. Of course the control should not be on alcohol per se, or even those who indulge in it in moderation. However, binge drinkers potentially pose a menace to society in the form of a safety hazard. It is the unsafe behavior of binge drinkers that should be the focus of any controls.

Who defines "moderation" and "binge drinking"?

I live in a town where vehicles are not owned by many residents and visitors are not allowed to have them. This contributes to some pretty serious drinking since everyone pretty much walks home from the bars. The local sheriffs have started cracking down on public intoxication which makes sense. Of course I usually only drink club soda to hydrate for the next day's dives, but that didn't stop one sheriff 's deputy from stopping me on the street since I had a "drink" in my hand.

I admit to indulging on those rare occasions when I'm not diving. Of course those are rare occasions! Binge drinking is not an issue for me personally, although I can drink a full bottle of sake in a night and still edit my videos without significant impairment! I'd rather spend the $$$ on diving equipment than on booze any way, but if someone else is buying...

Of course the control should not be on alcohol per se, or even those who indulge in it in moderation.

It was on smokers and business owners forced to go non smoking.

Back
Top Bottom