First smb opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s really not hard to do. I’ve had to remove a LP inflator from a buddy who’s was leaking air while diving. I popped it off and popped it back on. Took all of maybe 5 seconds. Very easy.

Based on personal experience of sending a lot of smb's to the surface, I doubt you will find this (disconnecting and connecting) an optimal way to inflate. It will take three hands and what if you are holding a camera or something else on ascent?

If you want to use a hard connection from a LPI hose, then just add an additional hose that is dedicated to this function. I know a lot of people who do this, but it is adding an additional hose, o-ring and is a potential source of failure. Is the convenience worth the complexity and added failure mode? Something you get to decide.

The option of just orally inflating the smb is really pretty simplistic and doesn't require fiddling with hose connections.

Venting from the BC to the smb seems like it would work, but I doubt I normally have enough air in the BC. So I don't know that I ever tried it. You can press the deflate and inflate button simultaneously on the bc and inflate that way, but I don't know that I have ever tried that either.

Using an octopus to inflate an open bottom smb seems pretty simple, but it could get caught in a strap and take you for a ride.

I generally just orally inflate or take the primary from my mouth and press the purge under the open bag. This too could take you for a ride if the primary second stage gets caught on the smb.

Lotsa options, but disconnecting and reconnecting a LPI fitting would be at the bottom of my bag of tricks.

Based on personal experience of sending a lot of smb's to the surface, I doubt you will find this (disconnecting and connecting) an optimal way to inflate. It will take three hands and what if you are holding a camera or something else on ascent?

If you want to use a hard connection from a LPI hose, then just add an additional hose that is dedicated to this function. I know a lot of people who do this, but it is adding an additional hose, o-ring and is a potential source of failure. Is the convenience worth the complexity and added failure mode? Something you get to decide.

The option of just orally inflating the smb is really pretty simplistic and doesn't require fiddling with hose connections.

Venting from the BC to the smb seems like it would work, but I doubt I normally have enough air in the BC. So I don't know that I ever tried it. You can press the deflate and inflate button simultaneously on the bc and inflate that way, but I don't know that I have ever tried that either.

Using an octopus to inflate an open bottom smb seems pretty simple, but it could get caught in a strap and take you for a ride.

I generally just orally inflate or take the primary from my mouth and press the purge under the open bag. This too could take you for a ride if the primary second stage gets caught on the smb.

Lotsa options, but disconnecting and reconnecting a LPI fitting would be at the bottom of my bag of tricks.

that specific quote of mine was referencing to a leaking connection. My only point was it’s not hard to remove and replace. I don’t see any negative to choosing an smb though that gives your the bc inflate option as well. Even with it not being my first method I would use, I just having more options to fill it being a plus. Not negative.

I do agree as I said prior I don’t want to add another line just for inflating an smb. If that works for some great. It’s just not for me. The more important thing for me was wanting a semi closed bottom smb.

Once you dive and try to inflate with the various options while maintaining your depth and body position, you’ll figure out what is easiest or preferred based on the task load.

I like oral inflation with my fingerspool, especially while carrying a camera with arms and 2 strobes. It is easily managed when I clip the camera in the locked position so it’s not bouncing around on the coil lanyard and then I swing it behind my left arm as I send the DSMB up while ensuring nothing is getting caught or tangled on the line.

Since my name is mentioned here, let me explain my preferences, under a worst case scenario, i.e., ripping current that forces me to deploy the DSMB quickly at depth to increase the chance of my DSMB being spotted by the dinghy pilot:
1. I don’t want to add stress to an already a stressful situation by taking my regulator out of my mouth for blowing a DSMB.
2. I want to do it quickly.

That leaves with the following option:
1. Having a dedicated LP hose, with a nozzle that is readily blow air by simply bending the tip of the nozzle.
2. DSMB nozzle that can let air in by simply pressing the tip of the nozzle.
3. Nozzle (1) OD should be smaller than the nozzle (2) ID so the tip of nozzle (1) can be inserted into the tip of the nozzle (2).
The only drawback of this setup is that I have to use both hands.

How would I do it? See pictures below and imagine my left hand is holding the red LP hose nozzle (1), my right hand thumb inside the reel hole as axle when it spins, my right index & middle fingers are holding the nozzle (2). Then I do the following:
1. Insert the nozzle (1) tip into the DSMB nozzle (2) tip.
2. Bend the nozzle (1) to blow the air out of it.
3. Press both nozzles together to let the LP air from nozzle (1) to enter into the DSMB.
4. When the DSMB expand to about half full, let it go, let the reel spins while keeping the index finger bend around the reel OD to make sure the reel stays in my right hand.

I can do this in < 5 seconds :D

Before

04940599-5227-444D-9664-0F5544E47E4D.jpeg

After

9DD1DFCA-636D-47EE-ABB1-8F4DAA42E61D.jpeg

It depends how much you want to invest on a DSMB. My advice, get a long one. Closed bottom with an over pressure valve. Open bottoms tend to flop at the surface as soon as it looses tension. The one with bottom openings are hard to get open in water with gloves on. DSMB with multiple inflation options are a good choice. Some have writing on them like "Diver Below". This helps for those people on the water that have no idea what a DSMB is. Some have reflective tape which is nice and even a place to put glow sticks on night dives. I am currently looking into something like the Mares XR. I have the PADI one, and it's well.. pretty basic..

I have a dive alert horn on my rigs, so I do understand where you're coming from. I make sure I have a decent LPI hose with an easy to grip fitting.

On a dive I noticed my DiveAlert was letting off a few bubbles, so I decided to disconnect and reconnect it. It was more difficult than I thought it would be. I removed it and reconnected the hose without it which was easier to do, then slipped it in my pouch. That's where I keep it now.
Definitely seemed more difficult to me with one, so it may be something to keep in mind if you plan on using this method to inflate and you install a DiveAlert.

It should be an OW level skill

I do have dive friends, who've simply added an additional (longer) LP inflator hose for their dsmbs

I agree that some bottom fill dsmbs can be problematic to get teh reg into if they're narrow - Mine are a wide dsmb and easy to fill even for students

My go to is a AP self sealing DSMB with inflation cylinder But they're not cheap. I'm on my second - I get about 600 launches out of them before the seams start to give. But they are brilliant, easy to use and are always fully inflated when they hit the surface (from any depth)

That AP DSMB is the bomb! Bulkier and heavier, but oh so easy to deploy in any conditions with absolutely no stress.

With your first DSMB, I will offer a perhaps conflicting recommendation: buy a compact but high quality DSMB. My reasoning is that you are not likely to use it if you are new to diving (e.g., less than 100 dives). Instead, you will likely dive with a guide or more senior buddy who will likely deploy the DSMB. Therefore, your personal DSMB will likely only be used in an emergency. Also, if you are diving in calm waters, you are less likely to need a large DSMB (e.g. 2 meters). I have 3-4 DSMBs and the one I carry most of the time is a Deep Sea Supply (1 meter) DSMB). It is super compact and is stowed in the pocket of my Apeks shorts with my 15 meter Apeks Lifeline Spool. Both my Deep Sea Supply DSMB and Apeks spool are very high quality, and will last a lifetime of diving. You can always buy a larger DSMB if the seas are a bit more rough.

Unfortunately, the Deep Sea Supply website is down. However, at the end of the video below, you can see the 1 m DSMB.

Good luck. Buy quality; buy once.

Mares All-in-one is great starter I think..You get everything...
if you can find it to buy.... hard to get one.

If I'm some place where I need a large SMB I also carry a DiveAlert on a separate 26" LP hose which I can use to inflate it. Even if I wanted to disconnect the LP hose on my wing, it would be too short to work with comfortably. The LP hose with the Dive Alert is clipped off to the left hip D-ring when not in use.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom