First Set of SCUBA Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeadCactus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone,

I posted this in the basic section and then noticed this forum. So sorry, for the double post.

I've been diving for awhile and have a few dozen dives under my belt. Decided it's definitely about time to buy my own gear. Just looking for some hints and pointers to keep in mind while picking out a BC, reg, octo, and gauges/computer. Primarily just trying to get something decent to start out with (eg keep cost down while still having reliable gear).

I think I'm going to go with a Oceanic Alpha 8 regulator and either an Alpha 8 Octo or Mares Proton Octo with an Oceanic Veo 100 as the computer. Is there any benefit to having the Regulator and Octo be from the same "family", so to speak.

I'm Nitrox certified, but don;t really dive it, so I'm not sure I want to spend the money for a low end Nitrox computer yet. Leaning towards just waiting until I want a higher quality computer and getting Nitrox then.

I'm leaning toward one of the lower cost travel BCs, so that later when I have money for something higher quality, I'll still have a use for my old BC. Looking at the Aeris Reef Rider and Oceanic Islander. Open to suggestions though.

My diving is mostly open water, recreational type diving. Not looking to get into anything too technical just yet. Maybe an occasional dive around 80 with a rare trip deeper, but mostly above 60.

A lot of diving in lakes, springs, and pools. Not less than 60 degrees with most being around 70 to 80.

Looking to do some diving off shore in the Atlantic soon as well. Also looking to get some resort diving in soon.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom