First Set of Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are still outside their chart... so that gives me some hope that their 2XL would fit me as well.

In terms of BC... I'm leaning towards this setup:
DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package | Dive Gear Express®

Then I'm trying to determine the best value/quality weight system to add to it.
I'm similar in size to you. With a steel plate, I only need 4 pounds of lead with a 3mm suit and an Al80. I use a pair of trim pockets on the waist belt, pushed all the way back against the plate. 2 pounds per side is very easy to deal with and I don't have to mess with a belt.

Note that I need 11 pounds of lead with a conventional BCD. If you need more, you could go up to 4lbs per trim pocket without problem. That's about the same as 14-16 pounds of lead on a standard BCD.

Oh and there's no way you'll fit a Deep6 wetsuit. I've seen them and they are cut pretty trim.

[Edit] Here's the trim pockets I use. They run around $10 a pocket: Single Weight Pocket — XS Scuba - Everything For The Perfect Dive

Yup. I’d go with Deep 6.

Edit: If you decide to go HOG, ask around here
(There are some HOG dealers). You can get a better price than what’s posted on their website.

In terms of weight... my certification dives were in a 3mm w/ Aqualungs Pro HD BCD... I was using 8 pounds in the quick release and 4 pounds on the tank/trim... I might of been able to get away with a bit less... This was in fw. In the pool without the wetsuit I was ok with 6#. I'm leaning towards going with a SS backplate to help reduce the weight needed, but also do plan to go dive some sw so am not sure how much weight I'd end up needing on the belt.

For salt water, you can multiply your (body weight plus your gear weight) by around 2.4% (I think the figure is) to get the extra lead for the ocean - It is probably 6-7 lbs. If you ever have to remove the scuba unit underwater (to clear an entanglement for example) you might not want to have zero weight on your body and all of it on your BC.

I find a weight belt with 6 - 10 lbs on it to be very comfortable - I also use a rubber weight belt. I think there are a lot of advantages for that kind of (old school) configuration.

The Deep6 coated harness is kind of a gimmick. Totally unlike my colored harness from piranha :)

That's one more I'd add to your list. Piranha is very low key and easy to deal with. You can call them and work through what you'll need based on the following. They'll also assemble it for you.

More Options! & Now Black Hardware! Hogarthian Harness (Dir) for Backplates - this has everything you need except a couple of bands for the lower harness to secure lights. Most people use inner tubes, but piranha may have something.

They also sell a complete HOG harness in red or black. Hog Hogarthian Basic Harness

This wing is an excellent choice for warm to temperate water, no STA required with most backplates (ask piranha to make sure). 23lb Hog Donut Shaped Wing ****All Black Wing Only!*** , Piranha Dive Shop |

In terms of weight... my certification dives were in a 3mm w/ Aqualungs Pro HD BCD... I was using 8 pounds in the quick release and 4 pounds on the tank/trim... I might of been able to get away with a bit less... This was in fw. In the pool without the wetsuit I was ok with 6#. I'm leaning towards going with a SS backplate to help reduce the weight needed, but also do plan to go dive some sw so am not sure how much weight I'd end up needing on the belt.
If you have a full blown steel backplate you probably won’t need any extra weight, or close to nothing. You’re going from a BCD that’s something like 1-2 kg buoyant, to a backplate that’s 2-3 kg negative. By itself that could drop you 10-11 pounds of lead.

I have a freedom backplate that only weighs 1 kg, and I dive in a 3 mm with no extra lead with al80s. Neoprene drysuit with thin undergarments and steel 63 tank, 4 kg on a belt.

If you have a full blown steel backplate you probably won’t need any extra weight, or close to nothing. You’re going from a BCD that’s something like 1-2 kg buoyant, to a backplate that’s 2-3 kg negative. By itself that could drop you 10-11 pounds of lead.

I have a freedom backplate that only weighs 1 kg, and I dive in a 3 mm with no extra lead with al80s. Neoprene drysuit with thin undergarments and steel 63 tank, 4 kg on a belt.

With that in mind, am I better off going aluminum or is it just a preference for travel/reduced weight in that sense. I like the looks of the freedom... at least with the options I'm exploring, I think all of those wings would work on the freedom. Perhaps I'll eventually upgrade to the freedom and then buy a dual wing for the plate I get initially if I get more into that realm.

With that in mind, am I better off going aluminum or is it just a preference for travel/reduced weight in that sense. I like the looks of the freedom... at least with the options I'm exploring, I think all of those wings would work on the freedom. Perhaps I'll eventually upgrade to the freedom and then buy a dual wing for the plate I get initially if I get more into that realm.
Really the only benefit of aluminum is saving weight for traveling. For whatever reason, my body is super negative, so if I tried to dive an Al80 in swim shorts and a steel tank I would sink, and that could necessitate a lighter BP. However, I’m firmly in the camp of “I prefer to never feel even a bit chilly” while diving, and never use anything less than a 3 mm full suit, so it’s not an issue for me.

The only problem with your plan is that Freedom plates are custom made, with a long wait list.

I'd start with a basic SS plate, around $85 from either DGX or Piranha (slightly cheaper if bought with their packages):
Piranha Dive Stainless Steel Backplate , Piranha Dive Shop |
DGX Backplate, Stainless Steel | Dive Gear Express®

Back
Top Bottom