First Set of Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That regset and BC are worth around $250 total. I'd dive it all except the octo. The BC is actually pretty nice: Aeris 5 Oceans . Note that there is someone selling new old stock ones on ebay for $170.

Also note that you'll have at least $100 in service costs, check with your local dive shop for a better estimate. You will not be able to get a self-service course for Mares regs, although normal service parts are available over eBay.

So whether it's a decent deal all comes down to the tanks and how important it is to you to service your own regs.

Also any recommendations on a 3mm wetsuit? I'm 5'11, 270 (though working on dropping that some more... down from 320 a year ago though).

The best 3mm I have ever dove is the one that Deep6 is offloading now. @Deep Six did a brilliant job on that suit and at the price they're liquidating them, there really isn't any reason to look at anything else
3mm Deep 6 Wetsuit

Being 270# and 46" Waist, 49" chest, I don't think I could squeeze into their 2XL. Though the 46" waist measurement suprised me as most of the pants/shorts I'm wearing are size 40.

Being 270# and 46" Waist, 49" chest, I don't think I could squeeze into their 2XL. Though the 46" waist measurement suprised me as most of the pants/shorts I'm wearing are size 40.

Waist measurement around the waist where you wear your jeans is different than the waist measurement around your belly.
You can ask @Deep Six if they have had anyone comparable to your size wear that suit successfully.

I wear their 2xl, but I'm very different measurements to you. 6'4", 270lbs, 52" chest, 36" jeans, so not really direct comparison, but the neoprene is quite stretchy.

I’m a big guy too (6’3” and change and 300#). Check out Henderson for wetsuits.

At that weight and a 52-54” chest...I’m in their 5XL (they have sizes up to 6XL). Pay more attention to the chest size than the waist size.

For Henderson...their Thermoprene Pro is more stretchy than their Thermoprene. I’ve got one of each. My recommendation is to do the Pro if you go the Henderson route.

best weight system is a rubber freediving belt from @MAKO Spearguns
I can't stand weight pockets, especially on a bp/w, and the rubber freediving belts are awesome
For what it’s worth, I agree with this statement. I hate having weight pockets on my BP/w and would much rather wear a weight belt for extra lead. If you ever have to pick up your gear from the ground, or climb into a boat, being able to separately don/doff the weights is nice. Just pick up two of the cheap DGX trim pockets for your cam bands in case you need to alter your trim due to the weight belt sitting lower on your body.

In terms of weight... my certification dives were in a 3mm w/ Aqualungs Pro HD BCD... I was using 8 pounds in the quick release and 4 pounds on the tank/trim... I might of been able to get away with a bit less... This was in fw. In the pool without the wetsuit I was ok with 6#. I'm leaning towards going with a SS backplate to help reduce the weight needed, but also do plan to go dive some sw so am not sure how much weight I'd end up needing on the belt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom