First Set of Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScoobaDood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have some questions about gear selection. With the 10zillion internet based stores I have found that it is very easy to get pulled into "amazing prices" on gear. I don't want to skimp on the gear my life will depend on, but I don't want to spend more than I need to buying overpriced gear either.

Some of the items I have been looking at are as follows:

BCD
Aeris Atmos LX BCD
Tilos Armada BCD

Octo
Mares Prestige Octopus
Sherwood Octopus

Regulator
Mares Prestige 32 Regulator
Aeris AT400 ION Regulator

Computer
Aeris XR 1 NX Nitrox Console (Air or Nitrox capable)

Wetsuit
Bare Velocity 7/6 Full Mens Wetsuit

Weights
Sea Pearls Soft Weights

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

If it's possible, it might be useful to rent the gear you want to get for a few dives to see if you really like it (mainly referring to bcds).

My first question is about fit. How do you know that the BCD will fit and work to your liking? Getting an online wetsuit often involves wasted time, shipping frustration or compromise in fit. More here.

It's desirable to have your entire regulator set to be a common brands for ease in servicing. And of course a local servicing dealer is handy too. Better yet, one that values you as a customer.

I'm fond of my many Bare wetsuits. They have 2 great vest options if you aren't warm enough. Rather than a bibed hood I would go straight to adding a chicken vest. Their 5 mm gauntlet gloves (w/o Kevlar) are awesome.

Soft weights are probably a needless expense that will not be durable while polluting the environment and staining your gear. Integrate only what needs to be on your upper body to attain trim. Put the rest on a belt or harness.

I'm good with console mounted instruments. The rest of the board can beat on us together. It's your call.

I don't know if those are cold water regulators. Cold water is not hard to find, especially in lakes. For the small premium in the price I would make certain the 1st and primary are cold water ready.

Pete

My first question is about fit. How do you know that the BCD will fit and work to your liking? Getting an online wetsuit often involves wasted time, shipping frustration or compromise in fit. More here.

It's desirable to have your entire regulator set to be a common brands for ease in servicing. And of course a local servicing dealer is handy too. Better yet, one that values you as a customer.

I'm fond of my many Bare wetsuits. They have 2 great vest options if you aren't warm enough. Rather than a bibed hood I would go straight to adding a chicken vest. Their 5 mm gauntlet gloves (w/o Kevlar) are awesome.

Soft weights are probably a needless expense that will not be durable while polluting the environment and staining your gear. Integrate only what needs to be on your upper body to attain trim. Put the rest on a belt or harness.

I'm good with console mounted instruments. The rest of the board can beat on us together. It's your call.

I don't know if those are cold water regulators. Cold water is not hard to find, especially in lakes. For the small premium in the price I would make certain the 1st and primary are cold water ready.

Pete

What Pete said and make sure that your Octopus is equal to or better than your primary if you hand it off you want to give somebody a nice breathing reg and the same applies should you need to use it yourself.

Pete

Spectrum,

Thanks for the comments. BCD and Wetsuit are probably the two items I would not want to buy without physically trying them out first. The BCD I have listed here is the same one that the Dive Shop had me using for OW Cert. It was comfortable, and I am now familiar with it, so it seemed like a winner of a choice.

I will have to look into the Regs/1st/2nd as far as Cold Water as that is where the majority of my So Cal diving will take me.

The wetsuit I used in OW Cert was also a Bare and I found it to be very comfortable and very warm (water was like 58°F) during all of my dives. Again, this is why I am leaning that direction.

I intend to be activly diving the rest of my life, God willing, and so I am not opposed to getting high end gear, I just don't always believe that High Dollar = High End/High Quality.

Thanks again for your feedback.

What Pete said and make sure that your Octopus is equal to or better than your primary if you hand it off you want to give somebody a nice breathing reg and the same applies should you need to use it yourself.

TB....any particular suggestions for the Octo/Primary?

Thanks in advance

You need to take into consideration that you will need to get this gear- the regs at lest- serviced from time to time. You need to make sure that whatever reg you buy, you can get it serviced locally, otherwise you will have to ship it off. This is not intended as a support your LDS rant but just a fact of gear ownership. And while stupid on their part, some LDS's will not service internet purchased gear.

TB....any particular suggestions for the Octo/Primary?

Thanks in advance

You might want to take a look at Edge Epic Regulator Set w/Octopus Chris puts out a great product and if you choose you can also get manufacture approved training to service your own regs.

Scuba Pro and Apeks also make good regs and parts are commonly available if you need model numbers let me know

Last edited:
I would add SPG and additional timing device as backup.

I have some questions about gear selection. With the 10zillion internet based stores I have found that it is very easy to get pulled into "amazing prices" on gear. I don't want to skimp on the gear my life will depend on, but I don't want to spend more than I need to buying overpriced gear either.

Some of the items I have been looking at are as follows:

BCD
Aeris Atmos LX BCD
Tilos Armada BCD

Octo
Mares Prestige Octopus
Sherwood Octopus

Regulator
Mares Prestige 32 Regulator
Aeris AT400 ION Regulator

Computer
Aeris XR 1 NX Nitrox Console (Air or Nitrox capable)

Wetsuit
Bare Velocity 7/6 Full Mens Wetsuit

Weights
Sea Pearls Soft Weights

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Here is only a suggestion, go to your dive shop or a another dive shop that sells a range of equipement from Tec to rec or vice versa. Try on a bc, and try on a BP/W ALL THESE FACTORS ARE GOING TO PLAY INTO YOU HAVING 1 ITEM OR MULTIPLE ITEMS. i wish i had done that now 3bc's later and aone bp/w which i love for my sinlges and getting my double one this week. Does the shop have a pool to try on the gear? that is also a major help, How much $ do you have budgeted to spend on gear. Are you diving in Cold water a lot ? or some of the time. With all these things in mind, chooising your gear will be a lot easier now. :D

Back
Top Bottom