First set of gear, crowd-sourcing a plan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swatch

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
"My plan is to crowd-source a plan."

Hello ScubaBoard, for my first post, I've decided to call on your expertise because I've spent the last two months chasing my tail on equipment and weighing so many options they've all blended together.

I've already got my suit, fins, mask, (lost my snorkel, but I can replace it), boots, hood, gloves... so the basics are in hand, but it's time to get serious about this affliction known as Scuba-diving and purchase my gear.

After a few months of trying out my buddies' equipment, I've settled on a BP/W setup, and I've decided to go through DeepSeaSupply after reading numerous recommendations here and a good conversation with Tobin at DSS.

I've also settled on getting Steel HP100 or HP120 tanks with DIN valves, so that just leaves me with the part that has plagued me the most... regulators.

My Typical Diving:
Southern California 'chilly' water (50-60 degF) saltwater.

I've searched, re-searched and researched (see what I did there? :)) these for so long that I've come to some good conclusions as to generally what I want and how much I want to spend, but not what to actually get. So here we go...

DIN or Yoke: DIN, but I'll buy an adapter in case I'm stuck with using Yoke tanks.

New or Used: I like used prices, but due to my general lack of competent knowledge of the equipment retail trade, I'm reluctant/unsure about it what I should look for in a good used reg. To me, it seems that the reg is one of the most important parts of scuba, so I kinda want supreme confidence in my rig.

First-Stage: It seems that an environmentally sealed is not required, but I get the feeling perhaps I should get it... advice welcome on this point. Also, swivel vs not-swivel? How important is this? It seems that once you get a setup that works, not-swivel is just as good, but I can see where having swivel would make the rig more comfortable. How much stock should I put in this 'feature' and how much trouble is it if I change my mind later?

Second-Stage: One thing I'm sure is that I want my secondary to be a combo-filler/breather on my BC instead of a full second octo hose. I don't like diving with a lot of dangle, and I like the idea of combining the two. Is this an unsound belief? In the end, I just want a reliable setup though that doesn't require a lot of effort on my part to maintain.

Price: I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to satisfy my requirements, but one of my requirements is that I get a good deal on whatever I get. There are such varied levels of gear and varied prices, that I am having trouble finding the diamonds in the rough. Ideally, I'd like to get the 1st and 2nd stage and filler/octo secondary for under $500. And I think it can be done, but if A) it can't, or B) I can do it for significantly less than that, I'd like to know now.

Brand: I am not set on any single brand, but a good buddy of mine dives Atomics, and I've liked those so far, but they seem to be on the high end of the price-value scale. I really just want a brand that the collective diving consciousness does not scoff at and generally holds in high regard.

Additional Advice:
Anything I can glean from the general experience of those who traverse this board is greatly appreciated. This includes any places to buy from, any questions to ask, any things to consider.

Thanks in advance!

I've found swivels to be kind of a non issue,due to the fact that once the system gets pressurized the swivel mostly locks up and is hard to move.

I've also seen people tape those swivels so they won't.....
I am looking to switch to din myself and the hog regs get great reviews and seem to be priced at a level that I'm considering just buying new rather than convert the regs I own. On the other hand I used a borrowed stage bottle last month with I think a hog reg and didn't like much how it breathed. I'm going to check with what it was and try it again just to check. It also my have been detuned because it's a stage reg. the price can't be beat though.
My first kit had the air 2 and I did love every dive with it. Now I have an octo and do get annoyed with the dangle.
It sounds like you are pushing toward a minimalist techey approach. You may be well served going with a spg (brass clip), wrist mount computer, 5 foot primary hose, 22 inch secondary octo on necklace. It's not quite DIR yet is a proven economical approach of not splurging on distractions to keep the diving simple.

Couldnt quite understand what you wanted for $500 but the bpw can be had for $300, the described reg package $450 plus $100 for SPG and depending on computer another $200-$1000. Those are new prices. I like used stuff and there is a lot out there. I can't quite explain the many ways you could lose buying that way.

On the bpw, go with just the basic harness and but splurge on the 2 inch crotch strap....

I've found swivels to be kind of a non issue,due to the fact that once the system gets pressurized the swivel mostly locks up and is hard to move.

Hm.... Its either reg specific or something is not OK. None of my SP regs lockup up and the swivel moves freely...

As for the OP I never felt a need on a single rig but it helps on stages.

I would check this out Regulators by HOG - Highly Optimized Gear - Dive Gear Express You are going to meet all of your list of requirements. I would get the sealed 1st because your waters can get cold. I have this same rig for my second set and I have been very pleased It breaths very nicely to the 136 that I have taken it and all the reviews I have read said that it does well below that level as well. I personally switched out the 7 foot hose to a 4 foot flex for my under arm routing because I did not want all that hose to be dealing with and I doubt I will be cave diving. For me 4 foot gives me plenty of space for air share but still routes down my body and under my arm with a 90 degree at the 2nd stage port. The nice thing is that your Octo will be the same quality as your 2nd so that when you go to the back up you will still have a nice breathing rig.

Service is easy and if you wanted to you could take a class and learn to service your own rig

$449.99
HOG Single Tank Hogarthian Regulator Package

Contact Jim Lapenta on this board. He will hook you with HOG gear. I just ordered their Edge line from him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom