First set of Doubles? Recommendations? How about Faber HP80's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking to make the move to doubles. Been diving an HP100 along side a bail out bottle for about 4 years now. Will be doing some deeper quarry dives in the 100 foot range. I want the extra back gas and I the extra weight will be offset by being able to lose about 4 pounds of trim weight caused by the pony bottle. Long story short. I am 5-9 so tank height is an issue. I am considering Faber HP80's doubled up. Good or bad idea? I like the height since they are short. Any real reasons why I should reconsider? My LDS suggested low pressure 72's..

You will have to choose the tank that fits your body. I would think an HP100 would work.

LP72s show on CL here all the time. I typically pay $40 as-is where-is and end up with $100 in them by the time I get a hydro and do some valve work or replacement. If you want to set them up as doubles you'll have to find the smaller (6.7" diameter I believe) bands. There's someone making them one pair at a time and selling them on eBay right now but they're $130 a set. I haven't doubled any of mine up because I've come to the conclusion that a 120+pony works out better for me than 2x72 would with essentially the same amount of gas. Your situation may be different.

I believe that there's at least on set of LP72 doubles for sale in the SB classifieds right now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom