First set of doubles looking for advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to keep the singles that I have as singles I might leave them in canada when I move and keep the other set on the US. I do have as BP/W

I think I might like to go towards the technical side but not sure. I do know that I would like to perhaps enjoy a longer deeper dive for now. I did at one point own E-119HP tanks and they were too heavy for me to manage as a single. They height alone was insane. A shop suggested the where I bought mine to get the same and double or get the 100's.

I transitioned to double HP100's from a single HP120 last year. Transitioned to BP/Wing at the same time. Sweet set-up, I am very happy with them. I'm 5'7", 165. As I get deeper (pun intended) into tec I might look for more gas, but the 100s have been very adequate for everything I've thrown at them so far.
The additional weight of doubles is intimidating at first. It took me a few dives to get them set-up right so they balanced out and to get the harness adjusted right. Once I got through that learning curve they became very comfortable to dive.

Good Luck,

With the velcro double bands you can use the tanks as singles or doubles, just remove them and replace your single tank straps. There nice because you can use any two tanks, I just got two steel 40's (their only one inch shorter than my hp 80's) so I can use two 80's, one 80 and one 40, or two 40's, depending on the dive.

Well why not try to borrow or rent a few sets to try out first? I have a set of 72's I would loan if you came down to Lake Erie to dive (my shop runs charters in Erie). I'm sure there are some other shops that rent doubles, Dan's Dive Shop in St. Catherines probably does.

I was a heavy breather so I went to the 119HP tanks but they were so heavy until I got in the water. I would run out of air so fast. I finally got tired of lugging them around and traded them in for the 80's and love them with better air consumption. But when I went into the 119's I also went into the BP/W. But what was nice with them, is that I needed NO weight with an Alum plate and 2 piece 7mm suit. Because I have the OMS IQ Pac you don't need a plate in it so when I I was in a 3 mm suit I would take it out because I was over weighted with no weight. I feel more comfortable in the water now that I have gone to the smaller tanks. the 119's seemed to "turtle me" (get me on my back and I could not get off and I would panic) I don't know if it was the size of them or the weight of them. that would only happen when I would have to get the air out of the bladder when I was on my back. I found with them my bladder was often filler to keep me off the bottom.

I love the 80's logically I am thinking perhaps 100's would be the next step as singles and double the 80's yes no?

I had a 100 that I liked but I traded it for another 80 for my son. Now if I dive in the Great Lakes I can take my three 80's and use one and a half tanks on the first dive and swap out the empty tank and have one full and one half full for the second dive.

Jimmer Dan's in a long way for me to go.

I would highly suggest that, before you double the 80's, you find a set to borrow and make sure you like them. I really think those short tanks, doubled and manifolded, are going to put you on your head. You're not that much shorter than I am.

Back
Top Bottom