First regulator suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cain247

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm new to buying my own gear and I'm looking to purchase my first regulator. I currently have no idea what to look for or where to start. I will be using it for general open water diving nothing technical. Any help on where to start and what to look for would be greatly appreciated. I would like to spend somewhere in the range of 300 to 500 dollars but this is flexible. Thanks =)

Okay, here comes the questions to ask yourself;
What kind of diving will I be doing? In the future?
can I, will I, ever want to service them myself?
does the shop I use service them?
is there a lifetime parts option?
will I travel with them?

Some general regulator recommendations,
Apeks
HOG
Diverite

These are bulletproof, upgradable, can do almost any kind of diving and I've used all of them. I've used many more but these are my recommendations.

No matter which brand you choose [and the 'upper end' models of most brands are all well made] a good quality reg when taken care of will last you a long time and can be used in most environments.....Price wise, HOG/Edge is an excellent value...I used to use Apeks for Tech/caves, switched to Hog for self-servicing issues and have never gone back to Apeks....Though you're new to diving, you may want to consider that as a future possibility....If not you can always send it in for the annuals.......Hogs are a lot more cost effective than the others and just as high quality.......Fine adjustment/course adjustment/swivel and a top port are all standard features, for a lot less.........

At $500, I'd look hard at the Atomic Aquatics Z2. Every Atomic breathes identically, they have a 2 year service interval - the only difference between it and a $1600 T2x - besides the swivel(s) - is the material it's made of. It's a solid recreational product - mine just never break. Currently Scubatoys has the Atomic Z2x - the x designates it has a 2nd stage swivel - for $499. Or the Oceanic Delta 4 FDX10 mentioned above for $399.

One thing to consider is what brands can be serviced locally by the diveshop(s) in your area?

Scubatoys is a good place to look - everything they sell carries a full mfr's warranty for future local service needs. You can mail regs in for repair to many places also but that just seems like a hassle to me. LeisurePro also sells many of their lines with mfr's warranties now also - some still come with their warranty instead. If you can work with sending it back to them as needed for service etc., often they're cheaper. Or pay your LDS for non-warranty service - costs a little more.

Atomics and Zeagle are made in USA. Atomics are piston.. do a search and you can read those debates.

The Zeagle Onyx CW is affordable and comes with myflex, great port locations, and it has the same conical HP seat as the Zeagle FH7. For price and performance its hard to beat the Zeagle Onyx CW. They are in the range of $444 from online retailers, but I bet its cheaper if you can find an local dive shop. Its a great cold water reg you will not outgrow.

Please get a standard second reg and not the integrated BC inflator regulator junk... they are cheap, and pretty darn useless.

Edge Epic

PM Jim Lapenta on here and he will hook you up. I also did a review of the Edge vs the HOG in the regulator section. I firmly stand by this. They are the same company just different users. Epic comes with miflex type hoses and a swivel.

I was recently in your shoes and got my new reg just over a week ago. One of the major reasons I bought what I did is because of my LDS. It made no sense purchasing something I could not get serviced or parts for. I looked at all the brands the more experienced divers used but local support wasn't available. At the end of the day I needed to be realistic and recognize the kind of diving I am going to be doing.

Warm water: I live in the Caribbean
Recreational: Less than 130' (I've been to 120')
Clear/clean salt water: Enviro kit not required

Based on these I bought a TUSA RS-530 with SS20 octo and the SCA360 gauge.

Firstly my LDS is a TUSA dealer among others.

Secondly, I'm in warm water so its neither here nor there between piston and diaphragm and I don't need to be concerned about enviro kits.

Thirdly the 1st stage had 2 high pressure (HP) ports and I expect in a few years I'll acquire an air integrated computer and use that alongside my regular console gauges.

Fourth, it had an adjustable exhalation control (primary 2nd stage) which I wanted.

Lastly, for a balanced first stage regulator the price was within my budget.

Let me stress how important it is to have support for your primary safety device (regulator). Hence why you should always look towards your LDS for support in making these choices.

Go with the Scubapro/SubGear SG-1000.

This is an excellent value reg. in your price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom