First Regulator - Aqua Lung Legend LX or Atomic B2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DitrasetMan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey there,

I am buying my first regulator and I would like to buy a really nice one. My cares are (1) ease of breathing, (2) durability/dependability, (3) low maintenance, and (4) general comfort. I was directed to the Aqua Lung Legend LX or the Atomic B2. I know these are middle-upper level regulators, but I want to use these pieces of equipment for awhile.

What are your thoughts?

They are both great regulators you can't go wrong with either one. Sorry I could not tell you which one to pick.

I am a long time Aqua-Lung fan. I have several AL regs from years (decades) back that still work as good as new. Aqua-Lung regulators are built for a lifetime (and beyond) of dependable, bullet-proof service. You might also take a look at the AL Titan, as well. Not as fancy on the outside as the Legend, but just as tough on the inside.

I have a personal love of the AL Conshelf series and collect them.

Both are excellent regulators I'm sure you would be happy with either. Buy the one you like the look of most or can get serviced more easily. If you travel a lot the Aqualung might be a better option as it has a far larger service network.

Both are good regs and would serve you well for many years if properly maintained. The Atomic is a bit lighter overall if I recall.
Not sure if it makes a difference to you. Atomic is a piston reg and Aqua Lung is a diaphragm.

A lot goes into the decision and frankly, a lot of it is just personal preference. First off, you need to realize, regardless of what you might have been told....salesmen will tell you a lot of BS, 99% of the performance of a reg is in the second stage so when making your choice, concentrate on the second stage. The first stage choice makes little difference as far as performance goes, hose routing is a different matter but again, that is mostly a personal preference. The second stages within a given brand are all very much alike inside within a given price range. The upper end Titans for example, are the same as the lower end Legends, just different outer covers. The internals of the Titan and Legend first are the same (not that first stage matters much anyway) so the Titan upper end model (to get the better second stage) is a less cost alternative with just as good a performance as the lower end Legend.

As for the Atomics vs. Aqualungs, both make good regs. I personally prefer diaphragm first stages because the moving parts are better sealed against the elements and you can adjust the IP without having to dissemble the reg. Scubapro has been making solid piston regs for many years so piston reg do have a good track record (yea I know he ask about Atomic but they don't have anywhere near the history that SP does) but AL has been making diaphragm regs for a lot longer. In addition if you intend to use them in cold water, diaphragm regs are a lot easier and cleaner to seal than piston regs.

Bottom line, both make good regs, just don't get fooled into thinking that more expensive means better, it doesn't.

I just picked up my first reg, a Aqualung Titan LX Supreme (cold water). As a newbee, I think this is kind of like buying your first new car. You just don't really have an idea of what to expect long term, though you may have test drove a few. So, if you can afford it, buy an middle to upper middle reg (as you are) and have at it.

I was basically told from several people there really aren't any bad new regs (that is regs with bad characteristics) as perhaps there was in the 70's80's90's. Even low budget regs (ie octos) are pretty darn good in comparison to the past. I went with what I bought because my local shop services them, my OW class used them and it seemed ok to me. The LXs have breathing ease adjustments right on the reg so you can twiddle it in real time with your hand. Short of sticking youre head in a helmet, it doesnt seem like it could be much easier than that.

Many years of experience with AquaLung products and I have to say the Titans are a very solid reg for the money. I don't have as much experience with HOG regs as they are recent on the scene but they use a proven design and are popular in the tech community so that is saying something. A good reg can be economical and a good performer. The Titans have been to 1000', how many regs can say that?

Well, I think I am gong to get an Aqua Lung since everyone (for the most part) appears to be leaning that way. I care most about ease of breathing, and apparently it will be the same as the Atomic, but it will be more serviceable in carribean.

But now I am unsure if I should get the new Legend or the new Legend LX (or even the Legend LX Supreme - what is that! Cold water, I think - which I don't need). I am having difficulty understanding the differences. Again, I care most about buying a reg that I can use for years to come and am happy paying the extra money now. I guess I can even look at the Titan LX (or Titan LX Supreme), but again I am not quite understanding the differences. Honestly, I am assuming that the Legend LX is better because it is more expensive and I will be happier with the quality of the parts in the long run (but what do I know!).

I guess between the Titan LX and the Legend LX, the Legend LX has an inhalation adjustment features unlike the Titan LX. That is important. But between the Legend and the Titan LX I am unsure what the difference is.

If money is less of a factor, then for a matter of $100 or so, I'd go with the legend, you won't be disappointed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom