First Reg Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That second stage is over $500. He could get a full Deep6 setup from DGX for $400.

$500 for a second stage? Wow...unless I'm mistaken or it's recently changed SP will not sell just a 600Ti second stage. I was refused when I was inquiring some months back and told currently the only way to get a 600Ti was to buy a reg set.

Another reason why Scubapro is becoming the dinosaur in the room. Great quality, but just not picking up on the changing paradigm.
How many LDS' will they take down as millennial divers realize they can get better services online? This is China/Taiwan's triumph - don't service it, just buy a new one.

Can you service a deep 6 signature set with Apeks kits? This may sound weird for some, but here Apeks kits are widely available and inexpensive. Even HOG kits cost more than Apeks.
Not that I would be seriously considering Deep6, as price is very close to Apeks for us and parts are not available in Europe.

I was thinking the Apeks DST 1st stage, XTX50 2nd, Egress octo, and an Aqualung 2 gauge console. I could probably just go with a 1 gauge console but figured I would eventually upgrade to a nice air integrated comp then put my i300 in the console as a backup.

I would choose a DST with two XTX50 2nd stages. Basic small brass SPG and an air integrated wrist computer like Perdix AI. Long hose configuration.
If your hobby evolves to tech diving, every single part of this set can be used in multiple applications like in a double set or stages.
If you stay in rec, it will be a great set anyway.

SP will not sell just a 600Ti second stage.

I believe that they changed their policy in 2018, I can buy the second stage by itself in Europe. Perhaps last year they didn't make enough of them to sell them outside the first stage package. As for the price, it is a titanium barrel with exceptional WoB specifications, smaller body and excellent exhaust T.

If your hobby evolves to tech diving, every single part of this set can be used in multiple applications like in a double set or stages.

I think this notion is one of the biggest myths of ScubaBoard. It's the same reason that is often given to support buying a BP/W for recreational single tank diving.

In reality, I think the vast majority of people who go tech (and this is just my own anecdotal and very limited perspective) never realize the purported benefit being described here.

If they go tech, they end up buying new regs. They don't just buy a 1st stage and some hoses and repurpose their existing single tank reg set.

If they go tech, they may start off just buying a new wing and using their existing BP and harness. But, it doesn't take long before they end up with a second BP and harness.

I'm not saying these things are true for every single person who goes into tech. It just seems like it does apply to the vast majority.

Anyway, personally I would not steer anyone to or away from a particular reg set for single tank, recreational diving based on any possible plan for tech diving in the future.

In this particular case, I would (again) say that either one of the OP's options would work fine. *I* would buy the Mk 25/S600 if it's less money. Otherwise, the DST/XTX50. And I would get a matching 2nd stage to whatever I bought, to use as the octo.

If they go tech, they end up buying new regs. They don't just buy a 1st stage and some hoses and repurpose their existing single tank reg set.

I have already repurposed my first DST to my first stage bottle :) And the original poster stated in the first message "I want to buy right the first time" and "diving local quarries, maybe some Erie wrecks." I doubt anyone will continue that for several years without going tech (or quitting).

I am glad I chose this route. But I have had aspirations to go tech from the very beginning (and I am just taking my first steps on that path) as my goal in diving is to dive some historic wrecks close to my home.

Actually choosing a good "future proof" reg set is much more efficient than buying the bp/w for single tank diving (In my opinion bp/w is not the ideal bcd for warm water wetsuit rec diving). But let's not make this another bp/w thread, please.

I see many people using SPmk25evo first stages in our cold conditions. Last weekend we had -5C air temperature and +1C freshwater. Both Apex DST:s and SP:s performed equally well.
Thus, in real life, the piston regs perform more than well enough in cold. Apex is more popular here because it is easy to service and the kits are readily available.

Last edited:
I have already repurposed my first DST to my first stage bottle :) And the original poster stated in the first message "I want to buy right the first time" and "diving local quarries, maybe some Erie wrecks." I doubt anyone will continue that for several years without going tech (or quitting).

Apparently, you are exceptional... ;-)

To me, "buy right the first time" means get something with a swivel turret, and that is DIN. Sure, you can convert most any yoke reg to DIN, but it's still spending money because it wasn't "right" the first time.

But, a swivel turret is no benefit for single tank diving (in my opinion). And, for most people, neither is DIN.

Anyway... I have regs for diving doubles, sidemount, and deco cylinders. I still want to also have a reg set that is for diving single tank. Thus, at least for me, whatever I bought for single tank rec diving would stay dedicated to that, even when I went tech (which is just how it went for me).

To ME, going tech and giving up single tank, recreational diving is kind of like a period I went through in my life where I was racing motorcycles and gave up having a street bike for a while. There are some people that are fine with that. I learned that I am not one of them. Tech diving is awesome. But, doing that to the 100% exclusion of fun, single tank, recreational diving is, well, it's not for me.

ps. I am the poster child for the ScubaBoard Myth.

Right after I finished my OW cert, I bought a BP/W, a DIN reg set with identical 2nd stages, and a (non-Shearwater) computer.

I went tech.

I never used my original reg set for anything in tech. I bought dedicated regs for diving doubles and a dedicated deco reg.

I have 3 BP/W rigs, but I recently changed to using a regular integrated BCD for single tank diving.

And I bucked the ScubaNati with my original non-Shearwater computer that has wireless AI. I still use that computer and AI as my normal computer for single tank diving. I do have a Shearwater now (also with AI) that I use only for tech diving (or if I'm in the local quarry which has really poor visibility a lot of the time). For single tank, fun diving, I prefer the watch-sized computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom